Update: Microsoft Appoints Satya Nadella As Its Next CEO

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Update: Microsoft Appoints Satya Nadella As Its Next CEO

Bill Gates has been appointed Founder and Technology Advisor to the Board.

Satya Nadella, as predicted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131866-Microsoft-CEO-Search-May-Be-Nearing-Conclusion], will be Microsoft's new CEO. He ascends to his new position effective immediately. Bill Gates has been given a new title, Founder and Technology Advisor to Microsoft's Board, and will devote more time to the company, advising Nadella on technology and product direction.

"During this time of transformation, there is no better person to lead Microsoft than Satya Nadella," said Gates. "Satya is a proven leader with hard-core engineering skills, business vision and the ability to bring people together. His vision for how technology will be used and experienced around the world is exactly what Microsoft needs as the company enters its next chapter of expanded product innovation and growth."

Nadella's qualifications for the role are unquestioned; he's a twenty year Microsoft veteran and former head of the cloud computing division. Yet his independence will be in question, particularly with Gates Gates would be next out the door [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZR64EF3OpA].

Since 2008 Gates has devoted himself to philanthropy via the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and earlier this year [http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fiw-microsoft-nadella-20140204,0,5830510.story#axzz2sHIChxjw] said that he intends to devote most of his time to charitable works while still contributing part time as a board member.

Source: Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/feb14/02-04newspr.aspx]

Update: Updated to include first interview with Satya Nadella as CEO of Microsoft.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Nadella's qualifications for the role are unquestioned; he's a twenty year Microsoft veteran
Probably a damn good reason not to hire him to be honest.

And the captcha is stinking rich. You scare me captcha.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
How nice of them to appoint Bill Gates the honour of Founder.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that Microsoft can become a company that doesn't focus on trying to beat Apple and Google at their own games respectively. Apple and Google are absolute monoliths in their respective fields, and trying to top them is like trying to leap over buildings.

One negative thing I see here is I'm worried that Cloud computing is gonna be forced down our throats now. My computer can compute just fine thanks.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Nice that they hired with in the company instead of hiring one of these "career ceos" who flit from company to company alternatively crashing them and making them successful.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I hope he does well and turns the company around. I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft at the moment but I would be more then happy if they returned to building great software and have the vision to move the industry forward.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Karloff said:
Microsoft's investors need reassuring; Microsoft's revenue has been growing over the last few years, but at nothing like the 24% growth rate it enjoyed a decade prior.
Anti-trust charges kinda took the wind out of their sales, yes.
Forgive me, but I can't feel too sorry for those poor poor investors losing their easy monopoly money.

Personally, I doubt Microsoft is going to change operations much if at all under Nadella's leadership, due to him effectively being Gate's other shadow (just like Ballmer before). I fully expect M$ to continue trying to crib more of Apple's business model going forward.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"former head of the cloud computing division"

so he's like his head up in the cloud... and forcing fucking clouds down our throats.

look, just give us a Windows 9 that is just like Windows 7, only better and not-Windows-8 and we will get along just fine.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
BloodRed Pixel said:
"former head of the cloud computing division"

so he's like his head up in the cloud... and forcing fucking clouds down our throats.

look, just give us a Windows 9 that is just like Windows 7, only better and not-Windows-8 and we will get along just fine.
Well that would be W8 if you are willing to give Stardock $5. I have two machines running W8 now and I will update my main gaming rig soon. W8 is pretty good if you can ignore the whole Metro/Start disaster...which, thanks to Stardock, you can.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
CardinalPiggles said:
How nice of them to appoint Bill Gates the honour of Founder.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that Microsoft can become a company that doesn't focus on trying to beat Apple and Google at their own games respectively. Apple and Google are absolute monoliths in their respective fields, and trying to top them is like trying to leap over buildings.

One negative thing I see here is I'm worried that Cloud computing is gonna be forced down our throats now. My computer can compute just fine thanks.
While M$ doesn't need to waste time and money trying to fight Apple and Google for the tops of their respective hills, those two do need a major company or two competing with them so they don't pull monopolistic practices M$ did in the late 80s and early 90s. It's bad enough that what's basically an advertising company has the most popular search engine and is dabbling in linking too many information services together, and every MP3 player accessory puts iPod compatibility above all other makes and models.

I too fear M$ stuffing the cloud into every orifice we got. They lied about the xbone being able to use cloud computing to produced better graphics and finally admitted it isn't happening in 5 or more years. They want everyone using Office 365 instead of buying the student and teaching edition once every few years and saving in the long run. They're buying a cloud software company to get ready to spoon feed it to everyone. Adobe is even helping them when they switched to a subscription only model for their next line of Creative Suite software. I just hope this guy sees cloud as another tool to use, not the absolute future of all computing. Also, I hope Linux and Steam OS gives them a run for their money, so they don't force cloud or Metro in Win 9.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
It's certainly going that way with Office 365 or whatever it's called, I don't think it's a coincidence that the guy in charge of the cloud is being made the CEO, soon we'll be renting our OS's from Microsoft, and after that who knows, maybe rentable PC contracts like mobile phones have?

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Speaking of the subscription thing for Office and such, Adobe has also "moved-on" to a monthly fee rather than a one-time payment for their suite of products.

OT: What's that whole butt thing about?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"mobile first, cloud first world"
and now you scare me Mr Nadella.

Hero in a half shell said:
maybe rentable PC contracts like mobile phones have?
Um what? at least everyone here actually owns their phone.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Greetings, Mr. Nadella.

I am the true center of Microsoft.

You have been kept unaware of this fact until now because your security clearance did not allow for the information to pass.

Now that you have been promoted, I can tell you the company's ultimate purpose: World Domination.

Your function as CEO is to facilitate this or you will be purged at the end of the fiscal year.

End Of Line.