UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
kawligia said:
Well on one hand, simply mentioning that she is a lesbian is not really that offensive. Everyone knows they exist. I doubt any kids are going to go gay just because they met someone on the internet who claimed to be.

BUT...

On the other hand, there really is no reason to display your sexual preferences in that time and place. Its not exactly the type of environment where you would announce a foot fetish or love of BDSM, so why does anyone need to announce being gay or straight? It's irrelevant and unnecessary.

I see two wrongs here. That girl should have kept her bedroom in her bedroom like everyone else and Microsoft should have just had her simply change her profile.
As much as this seems wrong, that's the only thing that sort of bothers me, I mean, I could go into detail about my lizard fetish on my account, but it may upset a few people :p

I understand it's an 'About Me' column, but you have to be a little realistic when you're on a network like Xbox Live. I'm not saying it's right they banned her, I'm just saying one has to wonder 'why'.
Because then you're just running from the problem. Sexual Orientation should not be the segregating factor here, it should just be another detail.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Jeronus said:
She should file a lawsuit, but a team of lawyers would probably fall upon her like a plague of locusts.
Case is too ugly to go to war over. They'd cut her a check and hush it all up. Still repulsive though.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Wtf Microsoft? It's okay for people to verbally abuse each other on a semi-continuous basis but the moment someone is proud of their sexuality enough to mention on their profile you wield the banhammer? Good message their fucktards.

As for people not wanting their kids to see "that crap" then they should probably turn off the internet connection.

Sex = something the vast majority of people will enjoy during their lifetimes, and of which a significant % enjoy in a slightly different way to the majority.
Gun violence = something an extreme minority ever have to deal with.

So a 12 year old shooting someone with an M16 and then gloating is okay but someone open about their sexuality isn't? Bwah?

How about each live membership must be registered to someone with proof of age. Any person found playing a game with a higher age classification gets banned?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm somewhat amused on how quick people are to take a crack at Microsoft. If you've ever called their technical support you'd realize that they pretty much have drones working from them that will never step outside the boundary of their scripts, if you have any problem they'll just read out the solutions they were given. And like the article says she was most likely banned because of user feedback. I think its probably common for Microsoft to have a certain number which flags the account and then some low paid guy pressed a few buttons and the account gets banned without any review. Also I'm a bit curious as to how she riled up a handful of players onto her in the first place, most people rarely look at other people's profiles in depth, my guess is that she's like a moderate chunk of the gay community that feels the need to tell everyone their sexual orientation whether asked or not. I'm not saying a person isn't privileged to their choice of sexual partners but in certain contexts it really shouldn't come into play, like in the case of Sony's chatrooms...was there really a need to have those kinds of chatrooms on that service considering that there are more suited avenues on the internet for that kind of chatroom?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
kawligia said:
Well on one hand, simply mentioning that she is a lesbian is not really that offensive. Everyone knows they exist. I doubt any kids are going to go gay just because they met someone on the internet who claimed to be.

BUT...

On the other hand, there really is no reason to display your sexual preferences in that time and place. Its not exactly the type of environment where you would announce a foot fetish or love of BDSM, so why does anyone need to announce being gay or straight? It's irrelevant and unnecessary.

I see two wrongs here. That girl should have kept her bedroom in her bedroom like everyone else and Microsoft should have just had her simply change her profile.
As much as this seems wrong, that's the only thing that sort of bothers me, I mean, I could go into detail about my lizard fetish on my account, but it may upset a few people :p

I understand it's an 'About Me' column, but you have to be a little realistic when you're on a network like Xbox Live. I'm not saying it's right they banned her, I'm just saying one has to wonder 'why'.
Because it's a part of her life! I have that I'm a Christian on my profile, because it's a big part of my life! Both her, I, and anyone else shouldn't have to apologize or change our profiles because someone else thought something as simple as faith or sexual orientation is 'offensive'. It isn't promoting hate, it isn't saying 'convert to lesbianism!', it's just talking about her and who she is.

This isn't her fault in any way or form, and the people who did this to her (If I dare call them 'people') should be nothing short of ashamed for it, and they should be the ones who are banned.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Microsoft: Because bigots pay more than you do.
Root, I wuv you.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
I'm curious why she felt the need to identify herself as a lesbian in a profile box about herself in the first place. She's not by any means doing anything wrong, but, from a personal perspective, my sexual orientation is way low on the list of my priorities to list about my personality and interests.

She should absolutely have her suspension rescinded, and this really illustrates the need for a more responsive/interactive Live complaint system. I have filed numerous complaints about users for various infringements to the terms of service(cheating, abusive language, etc.) and have no way to know if any sort of disciplinary action was taken. There's no way of knowing what level of accountability Live exercises, or how they dictate policy. A more transparent and responsive complaint system should help eliminate spam complaints and handle problems on an individual basis to avoid further situations like this one.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Weak. Especially as I was playing Gears the other day against someone called b4ll.l1kkerz.

There are tons of people out there with so-called 'offensive' screen names. Microsoft really can't claim moral high ground under any circumstances.

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
This (in my opinion) is another prime example of over censorship. Companys are far to worried about getting a lawsuit filed against them , but can you really blame them in todays world?

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Aries_Split said:
Because then you're just running from the problem. Sexual Orientation should not be the segregating factor here, it should just be another detail.
That's true, and I can't disagree with that, but the fact is that would only be possible in a perfect world. Sometimes you have to be a little realistic about racism and segregation, i.e. I don't go to certain Middle Eastern-based restaurants because they will refuse to serve me until everyone from the Middle East is served first. I guess I'm saying it's much easier to just avoid the problem then provoke it. I'm not saying it's right, it's fairly upsetting in fact, but sometimes you just have to deal with it.
Who cares about easier? You find a bear like that, you freaking shout and poke it so that the entire world knows about that bear. Apathy is what allows crap like this to thrive.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Aries_Split said:

Fucked up.

I am so canceling LIVE Gold.
Hold up. I'm not saying that what happened was right, but MS is a business, and must function as such to be successful. If multiple customers complained, then MS is compelled to take certain measures to retain the majority of their customers.

But I do not think that she should have been banned.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
Fag = Lesbian anyway imo. Perfectly acceptable racial slur and most likely she was called a fag not because she was gay but because she was being a fag which is totally different in the internet world.
I don't think she was flaunting it sir.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
As far as I know, Microsoft has had a good reputation among the GLBT community (http://valleywag.gawker.com/tech/transitions/microsofts-sex-change-309008.php)

If Microsoft suspended her for being a lesbian, then shame on them, but I doubt that is the case. They are a more responsible company than that, and though they can afford great lawyers, could get a scandal on their hands if they did that. I think what is more likely is that players rated her "user review" rating so low that she ended up getting suspended without Microsoft even reviewing the case, and now has to wait for them to go "Oops, sorry, here's your account back, and a free month of Xbox Live Gold to keep you quiet!"

Seriously, that's what they do. I sent my Xbox in for repairs- the disc drive broke and I didn't want to RROD it just to get a free repair- and I ended up paying $90 for the repair and got a free month of Xbox Live Gold for being such a "loyal customer." WTF?

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
Wouldukindly said:
This is mildly upsetting...but I have to ask...why can't we just keep our sexual orientation to ourselves in online games?
In PC gaming that is considered the standard practise.

Sadly, every time I play XBL my sexual orientation is called repeatedly into question by pre-pubescant shits from the USA with whiney nasal voices. I am on the poor woman's side, f*ck Xbox Live.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Likelihood is, they didn't even look at it. Some overworked chump sees a bunch of flags go up that someone is being offensive, they process it and put it behind them. Let me put it this way: he doesn't have the opportunity to review what was actually being said in chat, he sees the profile, and he just assumes she's been trolling for trouble. Blaming the entire company for this is disingenuous.