UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
sanzo said:
Hankage said:
She had it coming.

In these games, you're either a target or a team mate and I neither want to know, nor particularly care about your sexual orientation, or, frankly, anything about you other than 'how well you fire a gun'.
bolded for emphasis: Sorry, I gotta call bullshit on that.

While we lack information about this whole thing, I highly doubt she was joining servers just to talk about her sexual preference.

Hell, it is x-box live. Some moron probably called her "fag", to which she replied "It's lesbian, get your orientations right." I certainly wouldn't count it out of the realm of possibilities
I'm always surprised that people try and insult by calling others cigarettes (beware: Brit slang humour). But seriously, why insult gay/lesbian people at all? American insult culture bewilders me.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
joystickjunki3 said:
I'm sure that if I put in my profile that I'm a man who likes having sex with women, that I'm not homosexual or that I'm a straight man, I would get banned too
You had me up until this point. While I'll certainly concede that the terms of service were, technically, violated, I can pretty guarantee that you would not get banned for having anything in your profile that alluded to your enjoyment of women in a sexual way (Keeping it at the same level of saying 'I'm a lesbian'). All the prepubescent, tween, and frat guys would just say 'hur hur, I like gurlz too!!!one!', and then who would complain?

Really, it's bigotry that got her 'caught' and that is what I'm really annoyed about.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
angel34 said:
This (in my opinion) is another prime example of over censorship. Companys are far to worried about getting a lawsuit filed against them , but can you really blame them in todays world?
Yes, because who would take someone to court for allowing people to state their sexual orientation. Companies should try and protect the rights of those who use their product. Not just roll over and hit people with the ban stick.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Here's my 2 cents on the issue. No I don't think she deserved a suspension, but I also don't think she needs to be broadcasting her sexuality. We get it; you're here, you're queer, but in an online setting do you really need to shout it to the world?

If she knew that having it publicly displayed in her profile that she was a lesbian was causing her undue trouble when playing, she could have easily removed that and gone on with her games.

I have sympathy for the fact that she was suspended for it, a more subtle action could have been taken by the mods. I, however, don't have any sympathy for her lack of common sense on the decision to broadcast her sexuality when she knew (and I'm sorry, there no way she couldn't have known) she would be persecuted for it.

I'll spare you the rant on the hypocracy of the gay and lesbian movment. Its not one sutable for a setting such as this.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
I thought it was amusing that I went to reply to this thread, and there were 69 comments. My inner teen giggled hysterically.

Users proclaiming their sexual orientation have been asked to change their gamertag/profile before, as have users that have used their real names as gamertags (both violations of the TOS; is it just the "gay" ones getting all the attention?). What does she mean by her "account was suspended"? People keep saying "she was banned", but they were also saying that about "theGAYERgamer" when all that really happened was the user was forced to change his gamertag.

For right or wrong, Microsoft has decided that sexual preferences are not permitted in gamertags or profiles. Violate the rule, and you should be asked to change it. Seems pretty straightforward to me. As long as they apply the rule equally to all, no matter what orientation you profess, I don't see the problem.

I don't expect Microsoft trolls through profiles looking for sex words all day, so they probably rely on peer reports. In this case, I'm sure it's likely that a gay/lesbian profile is going to get more reports and more notice than a straight one, considering they are a minority (from my made-up statistics).

I think her description of the treatment she received from other gamers is unsurprising, but undeserving and unfortunate all the same.

But to say Microsoft has it "out" for lesbians or "sided with the homophobes" is just trying to stir up controversy and make an issue out of it, when there's not. Terms of use were violated, it was brought to the service provider's attention, and corrective action was taken.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Baby Tea said:
joystickjunki3 said:
I'm sure that if I put in my profile that I'm a man who likes having sex with women, that I'm not homosexual or that I'm a straight man, I would get banned too
You had me up until this point. While I'll certainly concede that the terms of service were, technically, violated, I can pretty guarantee that you would not get banned for having anything in your profile that alluded to your enjoyment of women in a sexual way (Keeping it at the same level of saying 'I'm a lesbian'). All the prepubescent, tween, and frat guys would just say 'hur hur, I like gurlz too!!!one!', and then who would complain?

Really, it's bigotry that got her 'caught' and that is what I'm really annoyed about.
Pretty sure it wasn't me who said that. I did quote the guy that said it, though.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Bummer, Well Yeh it?s bad... I don?t mind gay people (minus the annoying one that do nothing but say IM SOOO GAYYY and are just pushing it in my face) I have an entire gay section on my MSN thanks to fisher (gay friend) and several lesbians. Though blaming Microsoft is a tad bit unfair, its the reports Microsoft don?t read them just ban/suspend after a lot of reports have shown up so blame the homophobes not Microsoft, If they don't fix this then me and several others have my nuclear warzone survival kit (Nukes, claymores, weapons, condoms...What? you don?t want to catch mutant STD's do ya?)

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
She shouldn't have been banned.

""They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn't want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap," she stated."

Why the hell are these people letting their kids on Xbox Live? 360 probably has the highest number of games for older gamers (16-25).

Its a real shame that XBL has such homophobic idiots that not only spoil it for everyone playing, but create such a bad sterotype for XBL gamers on the whole.

I really do hope MS get there act together and Ban the real offensive people.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Doug said:
sanzo said:
Hankage said:
She had it coming.

In these games, you're either a target or a team mate and I neither want to know, nor particularly care about your sexual orientation, or, frankly, anything about you other than 'how well you fire a gun'.
bolded for emphasis: Sorry, I gotta call bullshit on that.

While we lack information about this whole thing, I highly doubt she was joining servers just to talk about her sexual preference.

Hell, it is x-box live. Some moron probably called her "fag", to which she replied "It's lesbian, get your orientations right." I certainly wouldn't count it out of the realm of possibilities
I'm always surprised that people try and insult by calling others cigarettes (beware: Brit slang humour). But seriously, why insult gay/lesbian people at all? American insult culture bewilders me.
It's because the people who aren't actually thirteen have the mentality of a thirteen year old. Therefore, to them: calling people gay/fag = teh funniez

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
joystickjunki3 said:
Pretty sure it wasn't me who said that. I did quote the guy that said it, though.
Whoops! My bad!

Jamash said:

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
I dont think its the people at lives fault. I would bet the system is designed so that it doesnt have to be monitored 24/7, wrack up enough points, something bad happens. So its not lives fault, its the people who abuse the system.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Microsoft: Because bigots pay more than you do.
Exactly.

If someone wants to talk about themselves online and mentions their sexual preference, then that shouldn't be a problem. I'm perfectly aware that there are several homosexual people on the Escapist, there are homosexuals everywhere, and anyone who disagrees with homosexuality is simply a close minded idiot who needs to get out and see what the world is really like. I don't know any homosexual people myself, as far as I'm aware, but if I did then I wouldn't have any problem with it. It's simply part of the person. No-one should be offended because somebody else has different sexual preferences to them. It's not as if they are flaunting their homosexuality for everyone to see, the woman was just saying it is part of her 'About Me' section. People who look at it want to know more about the person, so if they see something they don't like they shouldn't take offence and make the person's life hell for it.

Actually, this brings me to another point. What if someone is playing and puts on their 'About Me' section that they are black, or white, or Chinese, or any other ethnic group? Or they say that they believe in a particular religion? If someone who is against that religion/ethnic group sees that then would we see the same reaction? What do people think?

Anstrup

Dec 8, 2008
Baby Tea said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Whoops! My bad!

Jamash said:

I agree with you good sir. Might just give it a try.

mrfredy5

May 22, 2008
shadow_pirate22 said:
One thing is, the term "gay" is probably blocked for being an inappropriate slur against anyone, not necessarily just gay people. That's one of the main problems with society today. If we keep using those words as insults to other people, it's going to be hard to make progress.
But then what about homosexuals who call themselves gay and are part of gay rights groups surely it isn't an insult if the people who it is dirrected call themselves gay themself.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
I bet microsoft didn't even know the entire situation, lots of tards probably just used the File Complaint option and claimed offense, then after lots of complaints piled up she was dropped.

.cb

Feb 26, 2009
The live service is used by people of all ages I am sure I wouldn't want my child seeing this and then having to explain to him/her what a lesbian was before he was old enough to understand and take it in the right context.

Writero

Dec 28, 2008
A strange note and maybe something to consider. By mentioning that a client, in this case being a boy, having a girl friend, you are already making a statement over you're sexuality. Not many people realize this, but by mearly declaring that piece of information, you're already telling people that you're straight. Making clear in the profile of youre intimate contacts compared to saying that you are a homosexual is just the same as stating you're having a girlfriend. (The "Stop rubbing you're sexual orientation in my face" argument)

This little fact aside, I do believe that the reason that she was banned because users reported her is a bit dubious to say the least. Most of the time you just can report anyone by just typing any reason. If you have a hundred persons in a group reporting the young lady/man of a hundred different reasons, she or he might be banned for the wrong crime if any. It is to easy bluntly blurt out the argument "The majority found her offensive thus she was banned" and think that will be a definite and right answer.

It is however appalling that a behaviour like disrupting a players enjoyment of a game just because of her/his sexual orientation is to say the least, disgusting. This is a fault in the administrators area and is to be considered to be discriminating. As it stands you should also ban the kids who make these slurs to equalize the playing field. However, this might cripple the X-box community.

The fact that the word "Gay" is banned, points to a filter to keep unpleasantries out of the loop. Not to mention, to protect the children (This is, if you think about, it a really outdated viewpoint).

Greets to the rest,

Writero

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
xbox where your children can be safely separated from those strange and unknown creatures known as homosexuals...all while role playing as their favorite narcissistic, gay, spouse abusing, thieving devil. isnt the world wonderful?