UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

Jake Lockley

Apr 23, 2008
So what would happen if I put 'Pedophile' under About Me?
For the record I recognize that the service is not all about me and what I want, if I want free reign that's what the internet is for, not a closed service like Live.

I do think it's about time to segregate the adults from the kids online though. I had playing MP games on the consoles because of all the children and their immature behavior and cursing.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
This seems a bit of a perplexing situation. On the one hand, Microsoft wants to please the majority of its user base. On the other hand, the user base seems to consist mostly of amoral pricks.

I find it a bit sickening that people apparently think homosexuality is such an issue, but I guess people can't be open minded like we are.

Jake Lockley said:
I do think it's about time to segregate the adults from the kids online though. I had playing MP games on the consoles because of all the children and their immature behavior and cursing.
Sounds like the definition of impossible, unless you have parents that are...you know... parenting.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Wow this discussion still pushes on declaring that somehow a faceless corporation has taken a vendetta on the gay populous.

No no no and no, The ole M$ does not hate lesbians, they do however not tolerate profane expressions in profiles.

Lesbian refers to a women who is sexually attracted to other women, Its no different then coming out and saying it. The terms and conditions clearly state the sexual references such as these are not tolerated regardless of orientation or nature, its ridiculous to defend this person who clearly stated her preference on sex (which is not tolerated).

It would be no different if I had put Heterosexual at the front of my name, or in my profile. Would I be banned if many people reported me, yes I would. If I submitted my story to a news-site would I get an article? No I wouldnt.
The only reason this got any attention was because homosexuality is in the spotlight, and if someone has "allegedly" discriminated against homosexuals it gets written up faster then a celebrities baby.

This situation is ridiculous, it Is the equivalent of me putting the pharse "I will not have sex until Im married" in my profile and saying Microsoft is discriminating against abstinence when they ban me for having the word "sex" in my profile.
This is asinine even to a further extent because we only have the persons word that she wasn't committing other acts of disruption. She could have very well been reported for very legitimate means, and only her words are backing it up. For all we know she could have been the worlds biggest jerk.

This is a rather simple discussion, with little or nothing to debate.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Xiado said:
What I meant was that intolerance has a greater effect on people. It is not the right of the people to know abut what you do "in the sack" but it is the person's right to say it. I don 't care if is any violation, the code is wrong then.
By using Xbox Live you have agreed to abide by Microsoft's Xbox Live EULA. If you're saying Microsoft must allow you your freedom of speech on its privately owned gaming service then Microsoft's rights as a corporation have been violated.
Freedom of speech >> Microsoft's corporate rights

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
oktalist said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
Xiado said:
What I meant was that intolerance has a greater effect on people. It is not the right of the people to know abut what you do "in the sack" but it is the person's right to say it. I don 't care if is any violation, the code is wrong then.
By using Xbox Live you have agreed to abide by Microsoft's Xbox Live EULA. If you're saying Microsoft must allow you your freedom of speech on its privately owned gaming service then Microsoft's rights as a corporation have been violated.
No you signed that freedom away when you clicked the "accept" button.
It's private, you do what they say or your out.

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
oktalist said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
Xiado said:
Clarification: Government Ruling > Microsoft's tiny, insignificant ToS/EULA/Judicial Jargon. :D

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
C Lion said:
Sexual preference is not sexual content, it's a statement of a personal fact. They're not writing "LOL I LIKE TO LICK PUSSY ROFLMAO!"
How does saying you like to have sex with any object not fall under sexual content?

Sexual Preference itself falls under Sexual Content, because it is in fact content related to sex.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
C Lion said:
It doesn't imply anything explicit. If you want to take it at it's most innocent, it just meant they love the same gender. Anything sexual is filled in by your imagination. It's not offensive just because a few people have dirty minds.
You do realize that Lesbian at its "most innocent" state is actually someone from the lesbos.
Lesbian is SLANG, and is actually derogatory in nature.

Referring to your sexual orientation as a lesbian is already profane no matter how its used, because its definition is derived from the originally vulgar poems of Sappho that depicted women fornicating with other women. The term was later used to describe someone who was morally pliant, and could be coaxed into doing anything, this later evolved into the terms lesbian today.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
We may have a black president but I don't see a gay one for a while. Some people really suck. Prejudice bastards...

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
hippo24 said:
Sexual Preference itself falls under Sexual Content, because it is in fact content related to sex.
In that case Sex in the sense of Gender falls under Sexual Content, because it is in fact related to sexual organs.
No its not making a direct correlation with the act of sex.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
No it isn't. It's making a direct correlation with attraction and/or romantic interest.

Ever heard of Lesbian Bed Death?
Without running the risk of sounding like a pair of bickering 4 year olds..

Yes it is, Gender makes a reference to the presence of an X or a Y chromosome. By definition I could cut out everything that makes you ,In a physical sense, a women and you would still technically be a women if you have an XX chromosome.

Gender is not inherently sexual because it does not directly refer to the presence of sexual activity.

Edit: also Bed death is present, to a degree, in any relationship.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Wise words
Well, I could reply to that, or I could just clap in a polite manner, that of which you would hear at a golf game.

So, yes, *golf clap*

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Eff. That. Noise. There is a time and a place for everything, and XBox Live is not facebook. We do not need or require the sexual orientation of gamers at all times. I don't care what gets you going in the sack, I care about whether or not you can play. And that's all anybody should need to care about.
Wait a minute, wait a minute, you're confusing me.

From what I bothered to read in your arguments, you're saying that it's fine that she's banned because she expressed something that wasn't necessary. Then you say here that it's not required, and the only thing that should matter is if she can play or not.

If it doesn't matter, then it shouldn't affect you. Yet she put it up, and now you're all up in arms about her "flaunting" her sexuality. But all that matters is that she can play. However, she said she was gay/lesbian/whatever, so therefore she should be banned because of it.

Correct me on anything on the above, I didn't really bother to read most of your arguments with your opponents, it's just what I've seen.
No that's not really what I meant, and I know I went really crazy there, but I'm just so sick of people demanding the right to be labeled. And since it seems more and more that she was just doing this for attention, that was my entire point. There's a difference between identifying yourself positively, and just doing it to whore for attention. That is what this feels like more. And I'm tired of people pretending that using your sexual orientation as the only way to define yourself is somehow healthy. It isn't. It makes the last 30-40 years of gay rights movements look bad.

But again, my ranting, like everyone else's, is ultimately fruitless since it's been pointed out that it looks more like she wasn't banned for her profile.

So, sorry for flying off the handle, but I was more just outraged at the apparent lack of working brains in the 7 pages of posts before I got here that I lost sight of what I meant to say. And mostly that was because people were trying to make the matter of orientation the big deal. Orientation shouldn't matter, and yet that's what the crux of this entire outrage was around, the idea (errenous as it was) that she was banned for being a lesbian.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Condesning
Okay, seriously, every time you specifically quote me is never says your username. It's creepy! All it says is "
" and that it's! It's creeping me out man!

But at least you admitted some fault. I won't say that people shouldn't put up their sexual preference in their bios, but I will say it's probably a stupid idea.