UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
shame on xbox , grow up there's enough hate in the world as for personal stuff in your profile that might get you pick'd on just don't i could care less about your sex preferences just play the dam game and play with mutual respect

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
seydaman said:
yzzlthtz said:
seydaman said:
C Lion said:
Wouldukindly said:
This is mildly upsetting...but I have to ask...why can't we just keep our sexual orientation to ourselves in online games?
They do. It was on their profile(or in mister Gaywood's case, in his surname) and people decided to hound them for it.
scotth266 said:
On the flip side, I don't think you should post stuff like that on your profile, cause kids could see it.
And? It's not like they're describing sexual acts.
how is saying your a lesbian hurting kids??? my sister is a lesbian, if that matters
I think most parents' fear is that their children will wind up being homosexual if they are exposed to it. Ironically, I'm pretty sure that feeling comfortable and free to express and explore your sexuality (taking leads from people who do) prevents repressed thoughts and feelings which lead to not only much stranger sexual tendencies than basic homosexuality, but anxiety, depression, and sexual violence.
i can't remember, but isn't there a gene for sexuality?
hmm, nature vs. nurture.
i don't know, but if you wear cut-off jeans, then you are probably gay.
sorry bad pun.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
We may have a black president but I don't see a gay one for a while. Some people really suck. Prejudice bastards...
Umm who cares if the next president is gay? Seriously that is not like it is any of our business to begin with. Just like her being a lesbian is none of our business. Barak can't hide the fact he is black and even that shouldn't matter. Just like in this discussion it doesn't matter as long as he can do the job. Same applies to her.
somebody doesn't understand what I say and that somebody is you

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I stopped reading when I saw "Richard Gaywood"

..mostly for the fact that I could breath ater reading that is actually someone's name =p

Nov 28, 2007
*reads update* Well, knock Microsoft all you want, but they seem to be improving their consumer response quite well. Personally, I would never dream of putting the fact that I'm bi in my profile because 1) It's not relevant at all to how I play, but more importantly 2) Saying something like that where a population of assholes like those on Xbox Live can read it is just asking for trouble.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Maybe it's an automated filter and not a perosn who banned her.

I have no problems with homosexuals, but a lot of people do, and therefor words such as gay, lesbian, fag etc. would probbobly be used by straight people as trash-talk way more than it's used by gay people to describe themselves... so in fact microsoft might have put up a filter to prevent people from verbally abbusing homosexuals.

just like if a site doesn't tolerate the word ni**er because it is used in a racist manner, but they're not able to check up on who uses it, and therefor cannot ban white people for using it in a racist way, without also banning black people for using it in a non-racist way.

To elaborate, if a black guy calls himself ni**er, it's fine, but if i started using the word it would be racist, and therefor i should be banned, so they put up a system to prevent the word from beeing used as a racist verbal abuse, but since the system can't see whether people are using it in a racist way or a good way, it just bans everyone who uses it, thereby banning black people who uses it in a non-abusive way.

just so anyone doesn't get the wrong impression, i see all people ass equal, no matter what the color of their skin, or their sexual orientation is, and i think discrimination is an ugly thing,

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
dragonburner said:
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
We may have a black president but I don't see a gay one for a while. Some people really suck. Prejudice bastards...
Umm who cares if the next president is gay? Seriously that is not like it is any of our business to begin with. Just like her being a lesbian is none of our business. Barak can't hide the fact he is black and even that shouldn't matter. Just like in this discussion it doesn't matter as long as he can do the job. Same applies to her.
Nice way of elaborating to make your point so we can understand.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
I didn't put up anything bashing anyone but you can be an asshole if you want. I bet you agree with Microsoft.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
dragonburner said:
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
I didn't put up anything bashing anyone but you can be an asshole if you want. I bet you agree with Microsoft.
Wow I am not sure if I really should respond to this since I am not sure if this is just some misunderstanding or if you are just trying to pad your post count. Since I do have a little faith left in people I will go with A and see what happens.

First off who did I bash? You for pointing out that saying you missed the point and not adding anything else to help me understand your point? I sure hope not since that is the whole idea behind having a discussion. Or was it the we don't have the right to know the sexual preferences of strangers no matter who they are or what thier job is (like president)?

And to answer your question yes I do agree with MS. If they hadn't had that little blurb in thier code and conduct that we all have to agree to then I wouldn't. You break a rule you face the consequences. Seems quite cut and dried to me. Although I do think the punishment is a bit harsh and wonder why they didn't send her a message or give her a warning first (assuming they didn't). And if they did well then she got what she deserved.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
You totally went past my meaning created yours and now sound like an idiot.
You blame people for your mistakes.

Wow I am not sure if I really should respond to this since I am not sure if this is just some misunderstanding or if you are just trying to pad your post count. Since I do have a little faith left in people I will go with A and see what happens.

First off who did I bash? You for pointing out that saying you missed the point and not adding anything else to help me understand your point? I sure hope not since that is the whole idea behind having a discussion. Or was it the we don't have the right to know the sexual preferences of strangers no matter who they are or what thier job is (like president)?

And to answer your question yes I do agree with MS. If they hadn't had that little blurb in thier code and conduct that we all have to agree to then I wouldn't. You break a rule you face the consequences. Seems quite cut and dried to me. Although I do think the punishment is a bit harsh and wonder why they didn't send her a message or give her a warning first (assuming they didn't). And if they did well then she got what she deserved.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
After reading the update, I can understand why Microsoft did what they did. It does seem a bit unfair to the woman involved. When you consider all the deliberately offensive gamertags on XBL (DeadlyMuffDiver, DeadlyC**Guzzler, etc.), I'd say Microsoft has much bigger fish to fry. However, it seems this woman is a victim of enforceability. Her minor infraction probably showed up in a simple keyword search, whereas something more cryptic or leet wouldn't. Because of this, I still believe there should be someone screening XBL gamertags by hand, even though that's probably not practical.

Honestly, I don't feel that some types of personal information have a place on XBL and I can see Microsoft just wanting to avoid the headache that results from additional personal information residing on their system. This isn't MySpace or Facebook, but who knows; maybe that's where online gaming is heading.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
This is such a joke. The terms are the terms, they apply to all and shouldn't be ignored for any minority.

If Microsoft give in we will be taking a step backwards, anti-discimination must always apply to all, not just the majority of people.

Kandon Arc

Mar 10, 2009
Do be honest I think it's pathetic that people actually follow this person game to game 'warning' other players but I don't really think sexual orientation should come up in a game or people should declare it in environment where idiots routinely insult players on the basis of race, nationality, accent or anything else I can think of.

Ginja Ninja

Nov 16, 2008
sanzo said:
Ginja Ninja said:
sanzo said:
Ginja Ninja said:
xitel said:
Ginja Ninja said:
xitel said:
violently anti-homosexual
Just quoting this bit for this

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

You can be labeled as "violently anti-homosexual" by reporting someone who states there sexual preferance... JUST BECAUSE THEY HAPPEN TO BE GAY??? You are a biggot, like a person who assumes a man who is gay must love all men, you assume all who feel it was inaproprate to state that must be homophobic.
I'm talking about the people that threaten to kill me when I'm playing games online because I happen to mention that I'm gay offhand. I mean start describing how they plan to slaughter me and laugh as I die because I'm a freak and a sick ******. I don't have a problem with people that say that it's offensive to put that information in her profile, since I know there are people who are offended by it. I'm talking about the people I have reported for threatening my life for being gay, and forwarding messages from them that said that, and being told "While we regret this kind of action, the users in questions have not violated the terms of use of our servers, and as such will not be banned".
Yes that makes more sense. Then that should have been dealt with... but why mention at all? If some people might take it wrong why say it?
Yeah, let's hide who we are inside because some people might not like it. That won't cause any sort of depression, or long term mental instabilities

I hope you like sarcasm, because there's a lot in there
Makes sense to me, I don't talk to others on XBL apart from to tell them to stop being a retard if they are... simple... why should I state who I am to some strangers, who may not like it, when I don't give a shit about their opinion anyway?
I wasn't aware everyone on x-box live was you, and therefore must think exactly like you
And yet that is the reason for my point... that eveyone is different... THEY CAN FUCKING WELL BE BIGGOTS IF THEY DAMN WELL PLEASE BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE THEM! Point made... oh if by not telling total strangers that your gay gives you long term mental instabilities:

1. I doubt your gay
2. Go see a fucking Psychiatrist

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
...You know, I'm still waiting for a guy I know to have his or some of his family X Box Live account banned. The general format for his names are, "IStab (Insert minority group here)"

I'm still torn here. I can understand the reasoning behind not allowing any mention of sexuality in a name. But I also sense a bias towards pleasing the angry religious right, and worrying less about offending the generally reasonable homosexual community.