UPDATE: Minecraft's Xbox One Incarnation Won't Transfer Saves

Karthek

New member
Feb 26, 2009
56
0
0
I'm fine with saves not transferring, but what I want to know is if my Minecraft purchase will transfer from the 360 over to the XBone.
 

Ukomba

New member
Oct 14, 2010
1,528
0
0
Ultratwinkie said:
Ukomba said:
When they say no backwards compatibility, they MEAN no backwards compatibility. I can see how making things bigger would stop the XBone version from transferring to the 360, but why would that be an issue going forwards? This doesn't seem to make sense.
The first minecraft was hobbled together by a third party. The Xbone one can actually keep up with Minecraft as it is, not the cut down version.

It makes sense saves are not compatible. Has PC gamers really forgotten the save wipes between updates? Really?
you mean cobbled, not hobbled. And you'd think there would be a way to transfer. There should be a program that detects where each block is, determines what kind of block it is, and sends that information over to the new version and puts an equivalent block in that place. There might be some blocks that fail to transfer, but it seems you could get the majority.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
Inevitable Fate of Microsoft:


Seriously, the EA Virus they caught is STRONG. They may not MAKE IT to November!
 

Colbster94

New member
Mar 26, 2012
17
0
0
soren7550 said:
Colbster94 said:
nathan-dts said:
RoosterTeeth should just ditch their allegiance to Microsoft. Only have Xbones for Red Vs Blue.
Yeah its aggravating to see Microsoft do everything wrong and still see people like RoosterTeeth not care.
I don't think that it's they don't care, it's that they can't really say anything. Think about it, Microsoft owns the Halo series, and the Rooster Teeth folks make money off of their franchise. Microsoft can very easily sue them for that, but instead they let them do their thing with it, along with other things on their system, giving them a bunch of good PR. Now, if Rooster Teeth were to start saying shit about them, Microsoft probably won't be so keen on them using their series to make money.

So they have to play nice. Best they can really do is to say that they'll be getting both the Xbone and PS4.

And yeah, I'll be sad to see Achievement City go, but they'll either rebuild from the ground up or they'll just keep playing on the 360.
No thats not an excuse thats even worse, by what your telling me, microsoft has got them by the balls and could squeeze if RT doesnt say mercy, in some ways its almost sad.
 

Jadak

New member
Nov 4, 2008
2,136
0
0
The Walking Dead example linked in the article isn't the same thing.

With Minecraft, you're talking about the your entire world being saved and then reloading it in what is in some minor capacity, a new game. Regardless of the issues, it's different. The save file itself is what you need to playing from, and it's not compatible.

With Walking Dead, as with things like the Mass Effect series, that's not how it works. There is not need to save your entire world and load it in a new game, your only saving details, hard data representing the unique traits of your experience.

A new game doesn't need to use that same file format, or much of anything similar really, all it needs to be able to do is read that data of that file and break down the details, a far simpler feat where compatibility between the old save types and the new is irrelevant.

Hell, it's common enough for saves to become invalid when a game is patched, and someone is bitching that saves won't transfer between a rebuilt game on a new console? Fuck, that's not a real issue. Now excuse me while I go ***** about not being able to resume my old game of UFO Defense on Enemy Unknown.
 

Zeckt

New member
Nov 10, 2010
1,085
0
0
Minecraft, proof that microsoft supports indie developers!!

haha ... just thinking about that cracks me up considering how much money is involved with that "indie" game. They don't even know what the term means anymore.
 

Parakeettheprawn

New member
Apr 6, 2013
250
0
0
Doclector said:
It just gets worse and worse. Sure, it's a trickle of bad news now as opposed to the flood following the unveiling and at E3, but it's still going.

IT.

KEEPS.

HAPPENIIIING!

At least there's some kind of logical reason behind this one, though.
Don't you mean this One?
 

Parakeettheprawn

New member
Apr 6, 2013
250
0
0
Mr Ink 5000 said:
want to transfer your saves? get a 360.
Want to play games offline? Get a 360

Want to play games without Kinect? Get a 360

Want to play your Xbox games? Get a 360 and cross your fingers

Want to play Xbox 360 games without paying more cash to get them? Get a 360

Want to play Halo 3 on PC? Get a 360, put it inside a PC case, pretend you don't notice the UI differences

...I think I finally get it now. The Xbox One isn't a real console, they just thought up something so horrible that it would make more people go out and buy Xbox 360s! Those clever bastards!
 

Jamous

New member
Apr 14, 2009
1,942
0
0
Just keep digging Microsoft, just keep digging. You're doing a stellar job.
 

NickBrahz

New member
Mar 30, 2011
175
0
0
They didn't give us owners of the PC version, the version for Xbox 360, so why would people that have it on Xbox 360 get it on Xbox One, then there is the Phone version, plus if you wan't to play Minecraft i don't see why you would play it on Xbox 360 to begin with but that's a different story.

And as for not being able to transfer the saves, who didn't expect that coming, and if the saves mean so much to you, just continue to play it on the 360 no Xbone not that hard.

- Nick
 

Jesse Billingsley

New member
Mar 21, 2011
400
0
0
Colbster94 said:
nathan-dts said:
RoosterTeeth should just ditch their allegiance to Microsoft. Only have Xbones for Red Vs Blue.
Yeah its aggravating to see Microsoft do everything wrong and still see people like RoosterTeeth not care.
It's not their department, at all for that matter. They play it to make videos, not to promote it.
 

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,662
264
88
Jadak said:
The Walking Dead example linked in the article isn't the same thing.

With Minecraft, you're talking about the your entire world being saved and then reloading it in what is in some minor capacity, a new game. Regardless of the issues, it's different. The save file itself is what you need to playing from, and it's not compatible.

With Walking Dead, as with things like the Mass Effect series, that's not how it works. There is not need to save your entire world and load it in a new game, your only saving details, hard data representing the unique traits of your experience.

A new game doesn't need to use that same file format, or much of anything similar really, all it needs to be able to do is read that data of that file and break down the details, a far simpler feat where compatibility between the old save types and the new is irrelevant.
Whether it is an entire world or just character statistics; it is all a matter of reading data from a file. Chances are that all the items and blocks available in the current 360 version are also available in the Xbone version of mineshaft, there is absolutely no reason for them not to convert the old savefiles to the new format. Aside from being lazy money grabbing ass holes that is.

It's basically the same as how Word 2007 supported the older .doc extension, although the program itself saved it's files in a .docx format. Or how Little Big Planet 2 was able to load levels made in Little Big Planet 1.

Jadak said:
Hell, it's common enough for saves to become invalid when a game is patched, and someone is bitching that saves won't transfer between a rebuilt game on a new console? Fuck, that's not a real issue. Now excuse me while I go ***** about not being able to resume my old game of UFO Defense on Enemy Unknown.
A developer not caring about user save files between patches is the sign of a crappy developer, seriously, shit like this shouldn't be allowed to fly. What developer is fucking their user base over like this? More importantly; what user base is allowing themselves to be fucked over like this?
 

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
5,202
0
0
Did anyone honestly expect that you'd be able to transfer stuff? I know that the Xbox One is bad and people are looking for reasons to bash the thing at this point, but this is getting ridiculous.
 

Chunko

New member
Aug 2, 2009
1,533
0
0
I thin this is officially the deal breaker for me. I'm definitely going for PS4. Maybe I'll get the Xbone if it gets real cheap.
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Now we'll all have to say bye-bye to Rooster Teeth's Achievement City :'(
I'm sure they'll re-build it. Even if they start from scratch and just build Downtown Achievement City and then expand again.