UPDATE: Minecraft's Xbox One Incarnation Won't Transfer Saves

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
UPDATE: Minecraft's Xbox One Incarnation Won't Transfer Saves

Unspecified updates mean no transferability; hope you built everything you wanted.

"We're actually updating it in pretty significant ways for the new platform," says Microsoft's Phil Spencer about discussions with Microsoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124776-Minecraft-Comes-To-Xbox-One-Too] to allow save porting; presumably those talks didn't bear fruit.

"Obviously this is Mojang's game, and I've had good discussions with Notch about where he sees this franchise going," Spencer went on to say, "trying to create a more connected Minecraft world where your creations can go with you from device to device, but I haven't talked to them about where they are on that path." Hopefully the lack of save transfers is something that only affects Minecraft, and isn't a feature - if that's the right word - of the Xbone. There aren't that many games where past saves become crucial to the player's enjoyment, but the ones that do [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7503-The-Walking-Dead-400-Days-E3-2013-Trailer] tend to breed very loyal fans.

We don't know what the new features are which cause this save problem; expanded multiplayer and "feature enhancements" are about all Microsoft's prepared to say, for now.

Source: Xbox 360 Magazine [http://www.oxm.co.uk/56395/minecraft-xbox-one-is-a-brand-new-experience-says-microsofts-spencer/]

Update: Phil Spencer has since Tweeted [https://twitter.com/XboxP3/statuses/345940636232478721] that Microsoft is still in talks to make Xbox 360 saves compatible. Whether or not this will actually happen is still an open question.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
It just gets worse and worse. Sure, it's a trickle of bad news now as opposed to the flood following the unveiling and at E3, but it's still going.

IT.

KEEPS.

HAPPENIIIING!

At least there's some kind of logical reason behind this one, though.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
When they say no backwards compatibility, they MEAN no backwards compatibility. I can see how making things bigger would stop the XBone version from transferring to the 360, but why would that be an issue going forwards? This doesn't seem to make sense.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
That sucks a little bit but at least it makes sense. A lot of people won't really care, as the new worlds will have a ton of new updates, features, and size. I think Mojang is going to be doubling the build height as well.

Now we'll all have to say bye-bye to Rooster Teeth's Achievement City :'(

Captcha: crime of passion
Don't think passion has anything to do with this.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
to be honest this doesnt actually bother me, i mean sure it would be nice but its really not needed, like i dont need to transfer my 360 world to my Pc world.

Jan 12, 2012
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Achievement City, Nooooo!
(I do remember someone from Achievement Hunter saying recently that they will rebuild Achievement City if saves don't transfer, so it looks like a 30-part Let's Build is in order).

This is a bit of a bummer; I don't know how many people really care about having their saves transferred over, but it will suck for at least a few thousand gamers.

I wonder how long it'll be before someone cracks the Xbone and works in this feature...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Wait would you have to buy a Xbox One version if you already have a 360 copy?

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Ed130 said:
Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Wait would you have to buy a Xbox One version if you already have a 360 copy?
I'd be more surprised if you DIDN'T have to buy it again. I've downloaded some games from XBLA. Why they "cannot be transferred" to the XBONE is beyond me. Except for the whole reason they won't allow backward compatibility in general: wanting consumers to buy HD versions of games instead of simply continuing to play their legacy copies.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
It's not a glaring deficiency, incompatibility, or poorly thought out process... iT'S A FEATURE!

/sigh

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
RoosterTeeth should just ditch their allegiance to Microsoft. Only have Xbones for Red Vs Blue.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So the infinite magical power of THE CLOOOOOOOUD doesn't allow save transfers? Good job it's on PC. Along with all of those delicious mods which make an already huge game huger.

Colbster94

Mar 26, 2012
nathan-dts said:
RoosterTeeth should just ditch their allegiance to Microsoft. Only have Xbones for Red Vs Blue.
Yeah its aggravating to see Microsoft do everything wrong and still see people like RoosterTeeth not care.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
That sucks a little bit but at least it makes sense. A lot of people won't really care, as the new worlds will have a ton of new updates, features, and size. I think Mojang is going to be doubling the build height as well.

Captcha: crime of passion
Don't think passion has anything to do with this.
Man that's going to be heart breaking. I mean that thing is big. Then there's all the lets plays like wipeout and giant donkey kong. That will be one special last episode.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Honestly, this isn't super aggravating IMO. I've been playing Minecraft since Beta and as it continually updates, I've gotten used to having to erase my worlds and start over. However I do hope that they plan to at least give owners of the 360 versions the Xbone one on their account. The compensation for constantly having your world erased is that the game keeps on improving.
Really a moot point for me anyway since I'm not a 360 owner and sure as hell won't be going Xbone

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I think the real reason is that the old blocks wouldn't be sufficiently DRMed.

The worst thing is the people acting like moving to XBone + this new Minecraft is a given. Just spend that $500 + accessories worth on a decent gaming PC.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Colbster94 said:
nathan-dts said:
Yeah its aggravating to see Microsoft do everything wrong and still see people like RoosterTeeth not care.
I don't think that it's they don't care, it's that they can't really say anything. Think about it, Microsoft owns the Halo series, and the Rooster Teeth folks make money off of their franchise. Microsoft can very easily sue them for that, but instead they let them do their thing with it, along with other things on their system, giving them a bunch of good PR. Now, if Rooster Teeth were to start saying shit about them, Microsoft probably won't be so keen on them using their series to make money.

So they have to play nice. Best they can really do is to say that they'll be getting both the Xbone and PS4.

And yeah, I'll be sad to see Achievement City go, but they'll either rebuild from the ground up or they'll just keep playing on the 360.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Let me see if I care? Nope. Why? I've got PC Minecraft! Also I don't expect things to transfer over, especially if the world sizes will be larger, the save files might just be incompatible. I mean, it takes a real leap of logic to get that.