UPDATE: Nintendo Announces Two New Mario Games for the Wii

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
UPDATE: Nintendo Announces Two New Mario Games for the Wii

Nintendo has announced both a new Wii version of the popular DS game New Super Mario Bros. and a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy.

The first title, New Super Mario Bros. Wii will bring four-player cooperative gameplay to the Mario universe. We'll be taking a look at a playable version later this week, but for now, it looks a lot like LittleBigPlanet without the weird depth-hopping. The game is set for release this holiday season.

Meanwhile, Super Mario Galaxy 2 picks up where the previous installment left off with a new addition to the cast: Yoshi. It's nothing more than a gameplay trailer at this point, but if it's half as fun as the first Galaxy, it's something to look forward to. No word on a release date yet, so don't expect it to come out this year.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Can't wait. This looks like it'll actually be worth buy a game for the useless wii in my room.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Do you think it will be like Mario All Stars. a port of New Super Mario Bros.,
or a new game in the 2.5D style?
Maybe it will be a SMAS port with 2.5D graphics.

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
Looks like New Super Mario Bros for DS, but with better visuals and four-player multi. I'm in.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
This just in! Apparently Nintendo has decided to milk its fan-favorite franchises instead of coming up with bold, new, innovative ones! STOP THE PRESSES! SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!!!

But in all seriousness: so long as they continue to deliver the (albeit recycled) goods as they do with most of their milked games, I'll keep my full snarky wrath in check. For now.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'm still waiting for "Extreme Hat Battle."
No franchaise is better suited to fulfilling this dream of mine.

Aardie

Mar 25, 2009
Mario, Luigi, Toad and ..... Toad?

Yeah, folks - there's an example of unoriginal thought if ever I saw one. I would have been excited if they had shown initiative to come up with a UNIQUE fourth character.

Although this won't affect whether I will play or purchase the game - this will be based on gameplay - it would have been nice to prove some of the critics wrong for a change.

Still haven't played the first Mario Galaxy. Will decide my levels of enthusiasm about SMG2 once I have had a go at SMG1.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This would be great if I found collecting things and/or jumping on enemy's heads fun. But this gives Wii owners 2 more games worth buying...So...YAY!!!!

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
CapnJack said:
Denmarkian said:
Because Nintendo still loves us.

:)
So, you're saying that because Nintendo still loves us they are RE-RELEASING a RE-RELEASE of a 25 year old game?

I ask again, WHY??

If Nintendo truly did love us, we wouldn't get this short of shit shoveled our direction.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
ProjectileVomit said:
Yawn, can't Nintendo think of any other games other than rehashes of Mario?
Just curious and not attacking your opinion, but if either of these games had a different unknown main character, but was still the same game, would you still think they were boring?

I think they look pretty fun, and a 4 player Mario going back to the old side scrolling days sounds like a load of good times.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Denmarkian said:
CapnJack said:
Denmarkian said:

So, you're saying that because Nintendo still loves us they are RE-RELEASING a RE-RELEASE of a 25 year old game?

I ask again, WHY??

If Nintendo truly did love us, we wouldn't get this short of shit shoveled our direction.
It isn't called a re-release. It's called a remake. New Super Mario Bros. was an amazingly fun game, very original (nothing like the first SMB besides basic game mechanics) and it was definitely worth my money. One of the best portable games of this generation. And it wasn't anywhere near my favourite DS game, but that's besides the point...

This is bringing that game to a console, but with, apparently, completely new content, four-player mode, and one of the first traditional side-scrollers (although I don't exactly count LittleBigPlanet) this generation. If you don't like it, I'm willing to bet you weren't old enough to play Super Mario Bros. when it first came out, because if you were, you'd be all over this shit. I still have more fun playing SMB3 than any game that's come out this decade.

So, yeah, I'm glad that Nintendo is putting a high-quality side-scroller on their console, and I'm definitely glad we're getting a sequel to the best game of 2007 (in my opinion, of course). There are plenty of things to criticize Nintendo for, but I give credit where it's due, and I always welcome a release of the kind of games they do best: colourful, very fun, creative platformers. If I wanted shit, I'd play one of any of the two-dozen FPS on the other two consoles. They're a dime a dozen and very rarely interest me, besides the few creative ones like Bioshock.

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
CapnJack said:
Denmarkian said:
CapnJack said:
Denmarkian said:

I ask again, WHY??

It isn't called a re-release. It's called a remake. New Super Mario Bros. was an amazingly fun game, very original (nothing like the first SMB besides basic game mechanics) and it was definitely worth my money. One of the best portable games of this generation. And it wasn't anywhere near my favourite DS game, but that's besides the point...

This is bringing that game to a console, but with, apparently, completely new content, four-player mode, and one of the first traditional side-scrollers (although I don't exactly count LittleBigPlanet) this generation. If you don't like it, I'm willing to bet you weren't old enough to play Super Mario Bros. when it first came out, because if you were, you'd be all over this shit. I still have more fun playing SMB3 than any game that's come out this decade.

So, yeah, I'm glad that Nintendo is putting a high-quality side-scroller on their console, and I'm definitely glad we're getting a sequel to the best game of 2007 (in my opinion, of course). There are plenty of things to criticize Nintendo for, but I give credit where it's due, and I always welcome a release of the kind of games they do best: colourful, very fun, creative platformers. If I wanted shit, I'd play one of any of the two-dozen FPS on the other two consoles. They're a dime a dozen and very rarely interest me, besides the few creative ones like Bioshock.
You'd lose that bet, I can tell you that.

What I don't understand is that the impetus for "remaking", as you say, games that may or may not be classic seems to be nostalgia and nothing else. Why do I want to play Super Mario Bros, "new" or not, with three other people? I played it enough when I was six years old, I don't need to play it again.

Are you clamoring for a "New" Ocarina of Time? or a "New" Kid Icarus? I'm certainly not.

I understand and appreciate that these games have their place in history as milestones of videogame development, but they belong in the past. They do not need to be remade or "updated" or whatever spin people put on repackaging their old products that have sold well over time.

I would say that I have outgrown the games that I played when I was younger. I have watched videogames develop as an interactive entertainment medium from it's rebirth in 1985 until now, and I am continually amazed at developers who push the envelope, who try new ways of telling their story through gameplay. I want FRESH gaming experiences, not rehashes of franchise premiere titles from when I was four.

If I really, desperately wanted to play Super Mario Bros., I'd dig through my attic and find my NES. I don't need to buy another copy, unless my cart stops working, and then I'll just buy it on the Virtual Console for five dollars. I don't need to spend fifty dollars on an "updated" version of the New Super Mario Bros. It is not going to provide me the fresh gaming experience I look for in title that I am going to purchase at full-price.

I suppose that is the core reason I cry out "WHY??", because I don't see the value in retreading the same ground, even if it is in a shiny new pair of boots.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Denmarkian said:
You'd lose that bet, I can tell you that.

What I don't understand is that the impetus for "remaking", as you say, games that may or may not be classic seems to be nostalgia and nothing else. Why do I want to play Super Mario Bros, "new" or not, with three other people? I played it enough when I was six years old, I don't need to play it again.

Are you clamoring for a "New" Ocarina of Time? or a "New" Kid Icarus? I'm certainly not.
I have different opinions for both those games, because they're different cases. While Ocarina of Time is, to this day, one of my favourite games, I cannot imagine any meaningful upgrades to the game that would make me want a new version. I'd rather them leave the game as is than risk ruining the experience. I no more want that than I want a new version of the original Star Wars trilogy. As for Kid Icarus, it's a different story, since the only other version is a 2D version that would be too shallow for a modern gaming experience. The only way to make any use of that franchise is to give it a reimagining a la Metroid Prime, which, in capable hands, could be amazing. I'm not "clamoring" for it, but if it could be done well, why wouldn't I want to see a character with lots of potential become fully realized?

I understand and appreciate that these games have their place in history as milestones of videogame development, but they belong in the past. They do not need to be remade or "updated" or whatever spin people put on repackaging their old products that have sold well over time.
Tell that to every single gaming company. Have you heard of the games Conker's Bad Fur Day, Prince of Persia Classic, Resident Evil IV Wii, Prince of Persia: Rival Swords... Let's not even mention the biggest abuser of any gaming company: Square Enix. I'm currently playing Final Fantasy IV DS, which is a remake over FFIV Advance, which is a port of FFII, which is the fourth sequel in the swan song of a dying company. And now there's a Wii Ware port of the Cell Phone sequel. You know, maybe you don't like it, and maybe my next comment is besides the point, but there's clearly a huge market for remakes. And in some cases, the changes are worth the purchase. Which brings me to my next point.

I would say that I have outgrown the games that I played when I was younger. I have watched videogames develop as an interactive entertainment medium from it's rebirth in 1985 until now, and I am continually amazed at developers who push the envelope, who try new ways of telling their story through gameplay. I want FRESH gaming experiences, not rehashes of franchise premiere titles from when I was four.
Great. So, I'm assuming you're against Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 and Killzone 2 then? And you didn't go anywhere near Resident Evil 5, GTA 4, Halo 3, Fable 2, or the countless other sequels that are being made by plenty of other developers, right? Because, let's face the facts here, Super Mario Galaxy is debatably the best and most original 3D platformer in over a decade, so not being excited about a sequel based on your desire for "freshness", effectively eliminates about 90% of major titles.

As for New Super Mario Bros., (I'm assuming the following based on Nintendo's track record) show me a deep 2D platformer wtih 4-players, original levels, solid game mechanics and intuitive controls, and I'll concede that NSMB is just a rehash.

The reality of the matter is, if the sprites in this game were changed, you'd be hard-pressed to find a criticism for it.

If I really, desperately wanted to play Super Mario Bros., I'd dig through my attic and find my NES. I don't need to buy another copy, unless my cart stops working, and then I'll just buy it on the Virtual Console for five dollars. I don't need to spend fifty dollars on an "updated" version of the New Super Mario Bros. It is not going to provide me the fresh gaming experience I look for in title that I am going to purchase at full-price.
I suppose that is the core reason I cry out "WHY??", because I don't see the value in retreading the same ground, even if it is in a shiny new pair of boots.[/quote]

Again, if this is your opinion, I have absolutely no idea how you can play the majority of video games. Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid IV are no different than New Super Mario Bros - the only difference is the genre.

We're essentially talking about Nintendo coming out with two sequels here, after all. Not two remakes.