UPDATE: Nintendo Announces Two New Mario Games for the Wii

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
ProjectileVomit said:
Yawn, can't Nintendo think of any other games other than rehashes of Mario?
I'm convinced that the only people who ever actually say crap like this don't actually play the games. Play any two sequential Mario games and you'll be hard pressed to call one a rehash of the other (the only real exception being New Super Mario Bros, which sadly played it pretty safe, and gladly it's sequel looks much better).

I mean, I remember as a kid being so annoyed when Nintendo would throw out perfectly awesome gameplay concepts from the last Mario game to make room for new concepts in the next game, but now I can't do anything but appreciate it.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
ProjectileVomit said:
Let's see;
Wii Sports
Endless Ocean
Wii Music
Wii Play
Wii Fit.
My guess is that these games are the result of Nintendo listening to people telling them to stop rehashes their usual titles. (Those the first two are fun) Last year's e3, Nintendo's was a disaster. But now they announced what the fans wanted and look what happened.

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
CapnJack said:
Great. So, I'm assuming you're against Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 and Killzone 2 then? And you didn't go anywhere near Resident Evil 5, GTA 4, Halo 3, Fable 2, or the countless other sequels that are being made by plenty of other developers, right? Because, let's face the facts here, Super Mario Galaxy is debatably the best and most original 3D platformer in over a decade, so not being excited about a sequel based on your desire for "freshness", effectively eliminates about 90% of major titles.
At least you have your looks.

Because of course I'm going to "pooh pooh" sequels since they are OBVIOUSLY the same damn game, nevermind the new story, potentially new characters, the new levels, even an entirely new environment to play in. Oh those couldn't POSSIBLY mean they are new and fresh gaming experiences compared to the game that is their title -1.

And I really like your cute little tangent about your seething hatred of Square Enix. It has absolutely nothing to do with the points I've made, aside from the fact that it ties in with your little remake/sequel blurring.

You can't even compare Square Enix making *new* Final Fantasy games with Nintendo rehashing Super Mario Bros. Your only supporting argument is the off-hand remark that you are playing FFIV DS which is a remake, of a remake, of a remake, of an original game. And to which I say "so what?"

I'm aware that remakes seem to sell. I have Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64, I've played it for Xbox, I don't see the need to have remade it. I certainly don't see the need for me to buy it AGAIN to play the same story with shinier graphics.

If YOU want to waste your money buying the same things over and over again, be my guest. I'll bet you would be happy to own a copy of The Beatle's "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" on LP, Casette, CD, 8-track, live DVD AND iTunes digital download, and have paid full price for all of them.

It's your money, but you've got no right to complain when the market is saturated with clone-shooters and remakes, and there's no room for NEW and INTERESTING games because they'll never sell as well as more of the same.

Oh wait, I think that's already happened.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
Wait they are remaking a remake adding only 4 player co-op? Sign me up!
But in all seriousness, I don't care, i don't have a wii. I'll just play my remakes of other games.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Denmarkian said:
CapnJack said:
Great. So, I'm assuming you're against Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 and Killzone 2 then? And you didn't go anywhere near Resident Evil 5, GTA 4, Halo 3, Fable 2, or the countless other sequels that are being made by plenty of other developers, right? Because, let's face the facts here, Super Mario Galaxy is debatably the best and most original 3D platformer in over a decade, so not being excited about a sequel based on your desire for "freshness", effectively eliminates about 90% of major titles.
At least you have your looks.

Because of course I'm going to "pooh pooh" sequels since they are OBVIOUSLY the same damn game, nevermind the new story, potentially new characters, the new levels, even an entirely new environment to play in. Oh those couldn't POSSIBLY mean they are new and fresh gaming experiences compared to the game that is their title -1.
What does this even mean? Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. both have new environments to play in, new levels, and, while the characters aren't new to the Mario universe, they're new to the particular series (I'm talking about Yoshi, here. That changes things up for both games).

Regardless, I have no idea what you're trying to say here, because it's so bloody retarded I couldn't tolerate translating it into sensible English.

And I really like your cute little tangent about your seething hatred of Square Enix. It has absolutely nothing to do with the points I've made, aside from the fact that it ties in with your little remake/sequel blurring.
Really? Seething hatred? Even when I buy their games? I'm just trying to show you the obvious: this is common practice in the industry and. Nintendo is no where near the biggest offender

You can't even compare Square Enix making *new* Final Fantasy games with Nintendo rehashing Super Mario Bros. Your only supporting argument is the off-hand remark that you are playing FFIV DS which is a remake, of a remake, of a remake, of an original game. And to which I say "so what?"
Are you a moron or do you just like to pretend not to understand what I'm saying? Nintendo is making a NEW Super Mario Bros., game, as I stated clearly and as the trailer clearly shows. This is just as new as a new Final Fantasy, except that it's a platformer that's light on story and uses iconic characters. Your double standards amuse me.

I'm aware that remakes seem to sell. I have Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64, I've played it for Xbox, I don't see the need to have remade it. I certainly don't see the need for me to buy it AGAIN to play the same story with shinier graphics.
Luckily Nintendo generally releases remakes, not sequels.

If YOU want to waste your money buying the same things over and over again, be my guest. I'll bet you would be happy to own a copy of The Beatle's "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" on LP, Casette, CD, 8-track, live DVD AND iTunes digital download, and have paid full price for all of them.
I don't buy the same things over and over again. I sold FFIV for the GBA when FFIV DS came out. However, these days I almost regret that, since FFIV was so much better and so different than the DS version, that I want to play that game instead.

I'm not buying the same game on different formats. I'm buying a new game, with new content. If the new one offers all the same content as the old one and is better, I'll obviously sell the old one.

It's your money, but you've got no right to complain when the market is saturated with clone-shooters and remakes, and there's no room for NEW and INTERESTING games because they'll never sell as well as more of the same.

Oh wait, I think that's already happened.
Your understanding of the market is more ridiculous than your hypocrisy. Even if you don't agree with me, at least I'm consistent. I can see that there is no difference between Gears of War 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 as sequels, and I can appreciate both games. I can see that New Super Mario Bros. is just as new an experience as Final Fantasy XIII, even if it isn't as grand in scope, or doesn't have an engaging story with new music and characters. I'm happy to have a new 2D platformer, just as I'm happy to have a new epic RPG.

As far as my comment about your understanding of the market goes, let me put it this way: more game sells result in more profit for companies, result in more games being made. Remakes the sell well do not, in any way, hurt the development of all-new IPs. If a company re-releases an old game, and it sells well, and it cost them little resources to make such a game, they now have more resources that can be put towards making fresh new gaming experiences.

The more content the better, even if it isn't all new. You've got not right to complain about remakes if people WANT them. Though, I don't see how Nintendo is coming out with remakes. They're releasing old content on Wii Ware, and creating new content for the Wii. A new 3D and 2D platformer starring the most famous video game character ever created is not a bad thing. The alternative is Nintendo NOT doing that, and who does that help? It doesn't help developers, it doesn't help the industry, and it surely doesn't help the fans who are clamouring for a new game in a franchise they trust and love.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Darkrai said:
ProjectileVomit said:
Let's see;
Wii Sports
Endless Ocean
Wii Music
Wii Play
Wii Fit.
My guess is that these games are the result of Nintendo listening to people telling them to stop rehashes their usual titles. (Those the first two are fun) Last year's e3, Nintendo's was a disaster. But now they announced what the fans wanted and look what happened.
The "fans" are idiots. What other proof is there.

As to this "remakes suck" talk, I suppose the remakes/rereleases of Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, Mega Man 1-7, Mega Man X-X6, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2, Street Fighter II (various editions), countless titles ported to XBox Live, countless titles wedged into Sega/Midway/Namco "Arcade Treasures" or whatever they call them, and the hundreds upon hundreds of remade and rereleased titles with slightly different variations that barely even warrant a re-release (i.e. something much less the addition of something like a 4-Swordsesque multiplayer/griefing engine) all completely sucked ass and weren't worth people's time then?

Oh what's that? Many critical accolades and a worthwhile number of copies sold you say? Well then!

My point is as such, Nintendo is not the first company to do re-releases/revampings of their classic titles. Hell Capcom's been doing this forever, as well as Konami, as I've just pointed out. Which leads to the question, why is only Nintendo getting the flack for this? Hell the only other company that gets blasted for this kind of work is EA for their consistency in putting out a Madden game every year, even though they're barely adding anything to it. But let's be honest, you can't add much to something trying to realistically approximating football.

Nintendo has, at least, tried to make every game somewhat different from the previous, be it using a new gameplay mechanic or a new idea. Granted it doesn't always work, but oh well. You can't exactly divert from the general idea of Metroid, or Zelda, or Mario, before it stops being that kind of a game (platformer/shooter, adventure, platformer, etc.)

And ultimately, this argument boils down to one simple concept, that anything not new is stupid. And frankly, I don't see how that argument is even supposed to work.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
I'm personally salivating for the new Super Mario Galaxies, I just hope somebody decides to start being astronomically correct instead of denoting a giant house with a bunch of rocks and bones hanging around it a "galaxy", and don't make the final boss Bowser.