[UPDATE] Ocean Marketing Attempts To Extort Former Client

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
[UPDATE] Ocean Marketing Attempts To Extort Former Client

Just when you thought the story about Paul Christoforo couldn't get any more ridiculous, the man turns things up to 11.

Moisés Chiullan has had a busy day. Since he took over handling N-Control's PR after Roid Rage Nightmare Paul Christoforo, Chiullan has done a pretty masterful job of damage control. He's managed to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114993-UPDATE-Ocean-Marketings-Former-Client-Disowns-Shady-PR-Firm>very publicly disown and denounce Christoforo (going so far as to say that there "isn't a bus big enough for me to throw Paul Christoforo under") and has personally taken to Twitter to answer people's questions about the situation. Tonight, though, Chiullan set up a Reddit AMA to directly respond to all the questions and revealed that his predecessor isn't done making life difficult for N-Control: It turns out the man is trying to extort some serious cash from them.

Earlier tonight, Chiullan <a href=https://twitter.com/#!/AvengerControl/status/152547340828422145>tweeted that Christoforo was holding N-Control's various email and social media accounts hostage. One of the first questions asked in the AMA was how this could happen. Chiullan's answer is below:

I've been trying to get him to give up the access to these things he's been holding hostage (email accounts, Twitter, etc) by asking nicely for a couple of days. The gloves are off now.

Paul told me on the phone two hours ago that "Eight months ago, I locked down all this stuff so they wouldn't be able to fuck with me. If they don't give me what I want, it's war." His demands include a contract written on his terms and substantial compensation, both immediate and for as long as the company continues to exist. He flaunted the PR debacle he created as proof that he "made the company a success", citing all the media and public attention as the "best thing that ever happened to Avenger".

He didn't count on the fact that I anticipated all of this and have been a computer hardware and web tech since I was 14.

The thing we did have is control over the AvengerController.com domain. It was transferred away from its original account, which Paul has complete control of. Because of how GoDaddy works, that old account retained all of the email addresses and their master control settings (forwarding and so on). He has continued to respond to customer emails from his personal GMail account and lied to me repeatedly about doing so.

I tried to play nice, and Paul played stupid, acting like he didn't have access to this master account, blaming his "Indian outsourced tech team" being on vacation. I gave him two days to give over N-Control's digital property.

He finally leveled with me tonight that he knew I wasn't that stupid and that he was lying about his access to all these accounts. That's when he issued the above-mentioned threat. He reiterated that he had the hosting, email, and everything on lockdown.

This is just jaw-dropping. There's no other way to describe the situation. Did Christoforo seriously think that Chiullan wouldn't go public about this, when the past week week has proven that every time he opens his mouth he only succeeds in burying himself even further in the public eye?

So, let's recap: Paul Christoforo's history of terrible customer service <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114961-UPDATE-Penny-Arcade-Smacks-Down-Shady-PR-Dude>finally caught up with him when he threatened a smear campaign against Penny Arcade. After realizing that this was possibly the stupidest thing he could have done in the videogame industry, he begged Mike Krahulik to make the collective internet mob back off (that sure as Hell didn't happen). <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114975-Ocean-Marketings-Founder-Claims-Hes-Sorry>He then started giving interviews where he claimed that he hadn't lost any other clients, Krahulik was unprofessional for not introducing himself, and he was really only sorry that he got caught being a jackass. And now, finally, he's been caught trying to extort money from the clients he very nearly destroyed.

Un. Be. Lievable.

UPDATE: Apparently Christoforo has become much more cooperative since the AMA and this story went live. According to Chiullan:

Mr. Christoforo has very recently become much more forthcoming and helpful regarding a variety of Avenger/N-Control's digital assets that we requested he return a few days ago (as mentioned below in detail). We thank him for his renewed helpfulness.

Source: Reddit

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Does the stupid know no bounds? This is now blatantly illegal. A dude in the us is being sued for 300k for running off with a company twitter account.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
"He didn't count on the fact that I anticipated all of this and have been a computer hardware and web tech since I was 14."
Put Paul have wwwebsites on the internet ever since Moisés was a sperm, how could he possibly be outsmarted then???

On a more serious note: I really hope this will push him into the jail, god damn it I can't stand this man.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Wow! So I wonder what all those guys feeling guilty about the evil internet posse ruining this poor fellow's life are going to think about this. Clearly, the internet has gone too far!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
This is turning into quite the soap opera now. Ocean Marketing is right about one thing though, all this is giving huge media exposure to a relatively obscure peripheral. Im waiting for the moment now when it turns out that the new PR guy, the old PR guy and the original user who complained are all the same person and this is one massive PR stunt thats working incredibly well.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Deploy the justice cannon! Failing that, deploy the stocks.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
he is a professional troll!
He's not even that since while trolls will do it for the lulz, this guy believes that what he is doing is the best way for him to clear his name! He honestly believes he can get away with all of this!

This guy is, without a shadow of doubt the most STUPID person this year, to the point it is insufferable. Could someone please ship him naked and penniless to the center of the Australian outback where he can stay away from human society completely, as I am scared there are those that sympathise with someone who clearly does not have the brain functions required to be a productive member of society, let alone a man in his position.

Oh, and this is illegal, right? This HAS to be illegal.

Calumon: ...I don't like him. I thought he just might be having a bad day, but he's just a really big meanie.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
vansau said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Oh, and this is illegal, right? This HAS to be illegal.
Yes. Extortion is a felony.
Control replied to my tweet after I said that legal damages would be easy to prove here, company name, amazon rating, Los of revenue etc. Hope they nail him.

Dec 14, 2009
Bloody hell, this guy is more messed up than a sack of a drunken ferrets.

How does this guy manage to find his way out of the house in the morning? I mean, there's like, doors in the way and stuff.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
He better get used to living in a small room with barred windows for two decades.
Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Daystar Clarion said:

How does this guy manage to find his way out of the house in the morning? I mean, there's like, doors in the way and stuff.
Ldude893 said:
He better get used to living in a small room with barred windows for two decades.
Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

Here's all the evidence you need that steroid abuse is bad. If yu needed proof, that is.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Ahaha! Brilliant! I for one am enjoying the slow but pro-active suicide of Paul Christoforo.

Here is a guy standing neck deep in a pool of gasoline, brandishing a lighter as a threat to the confused people standing by. Some people just never learn. So let him burn. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Though I agree with you on this statement...

How in Satan's glorious name do you know what a sack of drunken ferrets look like? Let alone how you managed to get them drunk! o_O

On topic: This is one of those things where the guy's running away with a leaking keg of black powder and the match was just lit at the other end. I do hope the fireworks are beautiful when it's all said and done.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
If this man gets the shit raided out of him by Anonymous, I will dance with joy. Fuck this cock-shiner in the ass with a giant rusty spoon named Phil. I hope the only job he gets is in a sweatshop. And if that doesn't work itself out, I hope he drops the soap in a prison shower.

Dec 14, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Though I agree with you on this statement...

How in Satan's glorious name do you know what a sack of drunken ferrets look like? Let alone how you managed to get them drunk! o_O

On topic: This is one of those things where the guy's running away with a leaking keg of black powder and the match was just lit at the other end. I do hope the fireworks are beautiful when it's all said and done.
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

I will say one thing. It's not as fun as it sounds.