UPDATE: PS3 Hacker GeoHot Claims He's on Vacation

yo mato

Mar 18, 2011
I thought this kid was a true defender of electronic consumers rights. Now I realize that he´s
nothing more than a idiot coward douchebag.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Mazty said:
Hilariously epic.
Amazing how many people tried to argue his innocence and yet he lied and tampered with evidence, and has fled to South America. Go Sony go.
oh there was no doubt as to his innocence, everyone knows he tampered with the systems to allow them to DO WHAT THE FUCK THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE, i'm just disappointed he didn't stick around to fight it out on principle

i don't understand why consoles obsess about exclusivity so much anyway, or why so much software has limitations. most consoles are essentially capable of doing everything the other one can do, and it's probably in the financial best interests of the companies to allow this to happen. if someone buys a gamecube, they're not giving money to sony, whereas if they buy a ps3 and put a gamecube emulator on it, they are giving money to sony, and so on and so forth. in fact, sony probably benefits from this: because they have the most powerful hardware in their console, if you can jailbreak the ps3 to play games from any other system, they should work, which gives people more reasons to buy ps3's

likewise, i don't understand microsoft's insistence on your inability to use USB keyboards and mice to play games on the 360. nearly everyone has a mouse or a keyboard, and if you don't a cheap mouse/keyboard setup is way cheaper than a new controller, and the added flexibility would allow more flexibility in game design.

tldr; the blue whale is the largest animal in the world

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
I'm glad I never once supported him. He did something wrong, acted obnoxious about it, and has now ran away instead of facing his crimes.

This is just the final nail in his coffin, his life is ruined. I'd like to say I feel bad so many people wasted money donating for his legal fees, but when you support a criminal it's hard to feel any pity.

I play games, I consider myself a gamer. I support a gaming company, Sony. Not some "hacker" that thought he was untouchable.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, this article is epic fail. All it says is that Sony filed a motion (meaning a petition requesting the court to do something), and they accused him of tampering with the hard drive. It doesn't even say the third party neutral corroborated what they are accusing him of. And then Sony says he has fled to South America.

The only thing that this article says that is anything at all is that he lied about having a PSN account. And then the evidence is really only circumstantial anyway. All they can do is trace a registered IP to his town? All that means is that he may have bought it for a friend who lives in the same town. I don't know if you people know this about Jew Jersey, but the entire state is considered a Metropolitan area, meaning densely populated and city like. The chances of him knowing someone in his town are pretty good.

I think that this is ultimately a funny article. No matter what, he has stronger moral authority in this case. That says a lot, and also shows why so many people supported him. I'm more disappointed that so many people jump ship at the idea that a shaky scared finger pointed at him. There is still no proof he even left the country. That is the word of Sony.

I love watching this stuff unfold. Also, if so many people are so disappointed by Sony, just don't buy anymore of their products. I know I'm not. Over the course of the last year, a bunch of companies have shown me that their products aren't worth the headache of dealing with them. This one is no different.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Most of this appears to be based on "Sony's claims", i dont hink they are an unbiased party in this matter. I'm not saying its untrue, im saying i would like to hear it from a source that hasnt already tried circumventing the law.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Ok, GeoHot had every right to modify his PS3. So what if he had a PSN account? It doesn't matter. He can do whatever he wants to do with his own property he paid for. He wasn't killing people with it. He wasn't blowing things up with it. There's no evidence that he was pirating anything with it. He can modify it if he wants to. All his PSN account means is that Sony had a right to ban him. That's it. They didn't have a right to sue him. They can void his warranty. They can ban him from the network. That is the full extent of their rights in this case.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Okay, maybe im not siding with Sony on this, but I sure as fuck wont be siding with Hotz. Whatever credibility he may have had with his case, it just took a nosedive.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
There was so much riding on this case... and now, Hotz selfishness has put ownership rights at further risk. Sigh.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Okay, maybe im not siding with Sony on this, but I sure as fuck wont be siding with Hotz. Whatever credibility he may have had with his case, it just took a nosedive.
Let us remember that he is just an average guy. Sony is a giant corporation. He probably just got scared. Because if he actually does lose this case, he'll likely be in debt for the rest of his life; a punishment he most definitely does not deserve. I can't really blame him for running.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Baresark said:
Haha, this article is epic fail. All it says is that Sony filed a motion (meaning a petition requesting the court to do something), and they accused him of tampering with the hard drive. It doesn't even say the third party neutral corroborated what they are accusing him of. And then Sony says he has fled to South America.

The only thing that this article says that is anything at all is that he lied about having a PSN account. And then the evidence is really only circumstantial anyway. All they can do is trace a registered IP to his town? All that means is that he may have bought it for a friend who lives in the same town. I don't know if you people know this about Jew Jersey, but the entire state is considered a Metropolitan area, meaning densely populated and city like. The chances of him knowing someone in his town are pretty good.

I think that this is ultimately a funny article. No matter what, he has stronger moral authority in this case. That says a lot, and also shows why so many people supported him. I'm more disappointed that so many people jump ship at the idea that a shaky scared finger pointed at him. There is still no proof he even left the country. That is the word of Sony.

I love watching this stuff unfold. Also, if so many people are so disappointed by Sony, just don't buy anymore of their products. I know I'm not. Over the course of the last year, a bunch of companies have shown me that their products aren't worth the headache of dealing with them. This one is no different.
Jew Jersey? Really? One heck of a typo. :)

But, I do agree. If he's gone for weeks, then you start questioning. This is probably just delay tactics. Innocent until proven guilty after all..

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Belated said:
Ok, GeoHot had every right to modify his PS3. So what if he had a PSN account? It doesn't matter. He can do whatever he wants to do with his own property he paid for. He wasn't killing people with it. He wasn't blowing things up with it. There's no evidence that he was pirating anything with it. He can modify it if he wants to. All his PSN account means is that Sony had a right to ban him. That's it. They didn't have a right to sue him. They can void his warranty. They can ban him from the network. That is the full extent of their rights in this case.
Piracy is a crime, whether you like it or not. By posting the root key, he could possibly be charged with aiding and abetting for every piracy case from here forward. In short, no, banning him from their networks is NOT the full extent of their rights.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Mazty said:
Hilariously epic.
Amazing how many people tried to argue his innocence and yet he lied and tampered with evidence, and has fled to South America. Go Sony go.
What, you still think its a good thing that a company can tell you that you can't mess with something you own?

Geohot may have fucked up, but its the principle of it. Companies should not remove advertised features then ***** when people hack them back in.

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
He probably would have stood a chance defending his actions of jailbreaking the PS3, in my opinion.

But now, even if those charges are dismissed, he's screwed for tampering with evidence. Smart move.

A lot of people don't seem to understand the underlying problem of this judgment. If Sony had won the case, then the court would basically be declaring you don't own the stuff you purchase, if the company who makes it decides you don't. They are allowed to decide what you can and can't do with your own property. That's a load of bullshit, and has nothing to do with whether or not you support piracy.

(Side-note: I am against piracy, but I was still hoping he would have won the case. Don't flame me saying I'm a pirate or some other trash.)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Belated said:
WanderingFool said:
Let us remember that he is just an average guy. Sony is a giant corporation. He probably just got scared. Because if he actually does lose this case, he'll likely be in debt for the rest of his life; a punishment he most definitely does not deserve. I can't really blame him for running.
Yeah, but Im pretty sure that running away from a court case against you, whether its a corporation, divorced spouse, or some guy you got into an argument with over what one does at a red light, it doesnt bode well in your favor. I think at this point, he is actually starting to take over digging the hole that Sony was digging for him...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
maddog015 said:
Baresark said:
Jew Jersey? Really? One heck of a typo. :)

But, I do agree. If he's gone for weeks, then you start questioning. This is probably just delay tactics. Innocent until proven guilty after all..
Holy shit it was, haha. Wow, I'm offended by my own poor proof reading skills. The worst part, is that I went over it a couple of times, and while it may not be perfect after that, that is a large glaring typo to just skim over and miss, haha. Does this make me an antisemitic son of a *****?