Update: PS4 Slim to be Announced Alongside Neo at Sony's September Event

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Update: PS4 Slim to be Announced Alongside Neo at Sony's September Event

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1344/1344524.jpgPictures of a new PS4 unit and a Wall Street Journal report would seem to point towards a new, cheaper PS4.

Update: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-22-ps4-slim-leaks-online-first-pictures] has confirmed the existence of the PS4 Slim, having driven out to the original leaker's house to witness the console for themselves.

Original Story: Sony has an event coming up on September 7 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168133-Sony-Confirms-September-PlayStation-Event] at which they are expected to show off the new PlayStation 4 Neo. But if rumors bouncing around the internet are true, that might not be all that Sony introduces.

Twitter user shortman82 [https://twitter.com/shortmaneighty2/media] noticed a listing on his local classifieds for what looked like a new PS4 Slim. He said that the listing was from a "Guy runs a shop and saying its out in 3 weeks." He purchased the unit, opened it up, and posted a bunch of photos of the unit online.

While the unit may or may not be real, a report in the Wall Street Journal [http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-to-sell-updated-model-of-standard-playstation-4-1471833069] seems to confirm that such a unit is coming. The article says that, "Sony Corp. plans to introduce a new PlayStation 4 standard model alongside a high-end version next month, people familiar with the matter said, in an effort to maintain demand for the best-selling videogame console."

You can see the shots of the unit below, including comparison shots with the current PS4. This unit is slightly smaller in all dimensions, but there's still no word on what components it will include. I'd expect to see similar performance in a smaller package, and with a smaller price point as well.

It's not surprising that Sony would have a cheaper option up its sleeve, as Microsoft has just rolled out its slim model, the Xbox One S. We'll get all the details at Sony's September 7 event.

[gallery=6425]

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I think this is the first time I've looked at a slim PS and thought "damn, that's ugly!". The PS1 was a bit more round, the ps2 was impressively slim, PS3 has a nice (but cheap feeling) sliding lid but the PS4 looks like a severe downgrade aesthetically, especially the two buttons ... I get why they wanted two actual buttons, instead of those invisible ones but they look bad.

The whole box looks like they just couldn't be bothered, got a plain square box, chopped the top off stuck a CD drive in and all the other bits, then glued the lid back on and stamped the PS symbol smack in the middle. It's looks lazy. At least the other one was a bit angular, had a split and two different surfaces on top to make it look interesting.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
omega 616 said:
I think this is the first time I've looked at a slim PS and thought "damn, that's ugly!". The PS1 was a bit more round, the ps2 was impressively slim, PS3 has a nice (but cheap feeling) sliding lid but the PS4 looks like a severe downgrade aesthetically, especially the two buttons ... I get why they wanted two actual buttons, instead of those invisible ones but they look bad.

The whole box looks like they just couldn't be bothered, got a plain square box, chopped the top off stuck a CD drive in and all the other bits, then glued the lid back on and stamped the PS symbol smack in the middle. It's looks lazy. At least the other one was a bit angular, had a split and two different surfaces on top to make it look interesting.
To be fair, the regular PS4 isn't exactly the nicest visually either. I prefer my consoles to be boxy honestly. Don't like when they are rounded or slanted.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Saelune said:
omega 616 said:

To be fair, the regular PS4 isn't exactly the nicest visually either. I prefer my consoles to be boxy honestly. Don't like when they are rounded or slanted.
We all have our preferences and I am not usually one for looks and style but when you look under the TV and see a sea of black boxes, PS3, PS4, 360, one etc.

If they all have the same look, it's horrible. Even with them looking different as they do now, it doesn't look great but reduce how they different they look now to an even boxier, more plain look ... it's some borg shit, right there!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
omega 616 said:
Saelune said:
omega 616 said:

We all have our preferences and I am not usually one for looks and style but when you look under the TV and see a sea of black boxes, PS3, PS4, 360, one etc.

If they all have the same look, it's horrible. Even with them looking different as they do now, it doesn't look great but reduce how they different they look now to an even boxier, more plain look ... it's some borg shit, right there!
Personally, I wish we would go back to coloring them like in the old Nintendo days. I remember buying the Ice Blue Gameboy pocket cause...it was a new color!

I wanted the orange GameCube, but couldn't find any though...had an orange controller though that only I was allowed to use.

Edit: Plus space. I'm one who has most consoles, and I cant accommodate tons of weird shapes easily.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
For most smaller is better. But is it really? I don't mind either way, but since I already have a PS4 not going to drop it for the slim. As for the Neo I'm in the same boat. I have a PC to upgrade, don't need the same with my consoles. I don't own a Xbox One so the S is now on my list. In this case since I don't have the original I don't mind too much.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I still don't get what the point in this and the Xbox One Ass is. Sure, there will be people with an actual point in buying these like people who just want to watch 4k movies, but what else?

But I also don't get why so. many. fucking. people. buy every single gen of smartphones every two or so years. No wonder the console manufacturers jump onto this bandwagon as well, releasing a considerably slight upgrade from now on every two years.

And I don't believe them that the support for the previous generation won't be ass after about half a year (at max!) after the next generation dropped.

Glad I'm primarily on PC now. This only means that my primary platform won't be hold back as much anymore, assuming of course the publishers don't cut the deadline and budget for PC ports even deeper LOLZZZ

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My main thing with the PS4 is the storage/internal memory. Since it seems like all games need to be loaded onto the PS4's HDD before you can even consider playing them, I've been waiting for a PS4 to launch that has memory represented in TB rather than GB. 500GB sounds nice and impressive until I realized that games I wanted (games that I have no intention of uninstalling once they're installed) range from 6.5GB to 17GB to 20GB to 35GB to 40GB...

OK so looking at a comprehensive list of released games and how much memory they require has made my issues seem a bit less pressing but it's still a concern for me and I want to throw my money at something comforting...something offering 4 or more TB of internal storage. Better to have an not need, ya know...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
From future-sexy to... basic appliance.

Shoggoth2588 said:
My main thing with the PS4 is the storage/internal memory. Since it seems like all games need to be loaded onto the PS4's HDD before you can even consider playing them, I've been waiting for a PS4 to launch that has memory represented in TB rather than GB. 500GB sounds nice and impressive until I realized that games I wanted (games that I have no intention of uninstalling once they're installed) range from 6.5GB to 17GB to 20GB to 35GB to 40GB...

OK so looking at a comprehensive list of released games and how much memory they require has made my issues seem a bit less pressing but it's still a concern for me and I want to throw my money at something comforting...something offering 4 or more TB of internal storage. Better to have an not need, ya know...
For that, Sony will need to do what I've been asking for a long time and switch to 3.5" drives instead of 2.5". I'd rather deal with higher power consumption and bulk than have such a small storage space for my stuff.