[UPDATE] Rumor: Wachowskis Preparing Two More Matrix Sequels

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
[UPDATE] Rumor: Wachowskis Preparing Two More Matrix Sequels

Keanu Reeves may have revealed the coming of two new Matrix films, according to an anonymous source.

Some Matrix [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OPPBEQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002Y69NG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0N6903HTJFNTNDWDCX06] fans were unhappy about where the franchise went after the amazing original movie. They shouldn't give up on Neo yet, because according to an unconfirmed report the Wachowskis are already preparing two new Matrix films that they hope will be just as impactful as the first.

A student that calls himself "El-Nino" wrote to AICN saying he attended a Q&A session with Keanu Reeves at the London School of Performing Arts. At the Q&A, Reeves spoke of various future projects, including one that will see him return to the Matrix universe as Neo.

El-Nino writes that Reeves divulged he met with the Wachowskis (creators of The Matrix) at the end of December 2010 for lunch, and they told him a "two picture script treatment" that would see Reeves reprise his Matrix role was already completed. The Wachowskis also said they've been trying to determine if the films should be shot in 3D through discussions with Jim Cameron.

Reeves seems excited about the possibility, and mentioned he feels he has an "obligation" to Matrix fans to return to the franchise in these new sequels that he believes will "truly revolutionise the action genre like the first movie." If El-Nino's information is sound, the Wachowskis will begin more serious talks on bringing the sequels into production after completing work on the film adaptation of Cloud Atlas [http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Atlas-Novel-David-Mitchell/dp/0375507256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295879642&sr=8-1].

None of this information has been officially confirmed, so take it with a grain of salt. It certainly sounds like something Reeves might reveal to a cozy Q&A group he didn't think would post his words on the internet, though.

Update: It's looking like this rumor was a complete hoax. The Senior Administrator for the London International School of Performing Arts told ScreenRant that Keanu Reeves never made an appearance there. Reeves' rep also said that the story is a fabrication. Too bad, I would have liked to see the franchise revived.

Source: AICN, ScreenRant [http://screenrant.com/matrix-4-5-bill-and-ted-3-keanu-reeves-rob-97796/]

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Well this would certainly be interesting if it's actually true but the question is could they really take the series any further? The end of the last movie felt like they were tying up loose ends, giving everyone the "And they all lived happily ever after except for all the people and robots that died." sort of ending.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
No... please no. Can't we just forget 2 and 3 ever happened a revel in the brilliance of the first one as if it was a stand alone title?

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Rusman said:
No... please no. Can't we just forget 2 and 3 ever happened a revel in the brilliance of the first one as if it was a stand alone title?
well lets just hope they make those ones non canon somehow. Theres always hope.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I know it's the Matrix and he is the One and all but... didn't he die at the end of the 3rd film?

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
More excited about Cowboy Bebob to be honest.

Sidenote: Because of this story I happened across the "Sad Keanu" Meme, which is fun if you haven't seen it before: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/keanu-is-sadsad-keanu

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
How the hell are they gonna do two more movies? They wraped the story in the last one.

Suicideking

Oct 28, 2009
Rusman said:
If Keanu Reeves is involved, they would have to forget part of the sequels. Neo died. Maybe they are doing what the Halloween series did with H20 and creating sequels to the first movie, ignoring that the other things in the franchise happened. You know, since the Matrix Online was supposed to be the Canon continuation of the Matrix series as well. Morpheus died in the Matrix Online. They have a lot of resurrecting to do, or they have to ignore movies 2 and 3 and the Matrix Online.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I call bullshit. Unless it comes from Wachowski brothers themselves it's likely just some kid hiding behind alias trying to troll AICN.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I see alot of people saying that he already died. when he met with the programer he said the died seven times before that. It will be a new reincarnation of neo.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010

Now, where's that back-up copy of Neo...Ah! found it! *Error File corrupted BY A FUCKING VIRUS!*

I would love to see how they do bring back a non-existent consciousness.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
I wouldn't mind this if they remember the one lesson from the second and third films.
The best thing about the Matrix is surprisingly: THE MATRIX.
Keep all the action in there along with some nice effects and you might have a movie.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
are they remaking the sequels? i really do hope so XD

or is this rumor suppose to be of 2 separate sequels after the first 3?

or is this rumor suppose to mean 2 alternate universe sequels?

in whatever case it should be in 3D. if any franchise deserve the proper 3D treatment its the Matrix. (come on you can't tell me the famous NEO dodging bullets scene wouldn't have been more epic seen in 3D :p )

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Suicideking said:
Rusman said:
If Keanu Reeves is involved, they would have to forget part of the sequels. Neo died. Maybe they are doing what the Halloween series did with H20 and creating sequels to the first movie, ignoring that the other things in the franchise happened. You know, since the Matrix Online was supposed to be the Canon continuation of the Matrix series as well. Morpheus died in the Matrix Online. They have a lot of resurrecting to do, or they have to ignore movies 2 and 3 and the Matrix Online.
I'd imagine they'd just discount the Matrix Online as canon - I don't think it was particularly popular anyway.

OT: I quite enjoyed all 3, and whilst the 3rd spent too much time in Zion and lost the sense of humour it had about it's self, I didn't think it was terrible.

I don't really understand what makes people think they're anymore pretentious than the first (although I don't think it was pretentious). They had an idea they couldn't fully explain in the 4-6 hours they had in the final two? Sure. Pretentious? Not sure about that.

As for Neo dying, he is the One, full of dem parz n ting, and besides, that big old fairy tale book said that Jesus came back alive, and we all know who Neo is based on. Although I guess you could argue that his resurrection happened in the first already.

At any rate, I don't think there's much truth behind this, although I'd definitely go to see them.

darthotaku said:
I see alot of people saying that he already died. when he met with the programer he said the died seven times before that. It will be a new reincarnation of neo.
That's... actually a very good point. I guess we all assumed they were different people fulfilling the same role, but maybe it is the same guy each time.

I'm pretty sure they imply at the end of the third that it's not the last cycle, although even if that's wrong, the little girl asks the Oracle if they'll ever see Neo again, to which she says he hopes so.

The only problem then is that you're just watching the cycle again, and they focused on our Neo in the trilogy because he was the first one to not do what he was supposed to.

Feb 19, 2010
the 3rd one sucked with king of the retards, neo, made the stupidest decision ever,now we have two more movies to torture us?

how about this, the matrix 3 NEVER happened, it was just a dream neo had.

good enuf?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I want one fucking sequal, five seconds long, and it's just going to be a man's face "Neo lives" or "Neo Dies" That's all we need to know.