[UPDATE] Sony and Rockstar: Neither L.A. Noire Nor Firmware Overheating PS3 Consoles

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Nicolaus99 said:
And the Sony fail train keeps on trucking.

Some day, maybe we'll all finally be one big PC community rather than this balkanized platform mess. I mean, they're just crippled computers that hook up to televisions.
Did you click and read the Edge article? The part that says Xbox 360 users have been experiencing the same problem? Or did you read all of the OP's article? Like the part that says Rockstar has "retracted" its earlier accusation? And that they might have "jumped the gun?"

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Sheesh, my last post was about QA departments being full of people getting paid to do nothing now i see this...

My xbox 360 has been on the brink of meltdown for the last 18 months, my PS3 console is the only one i trust to work atm, call me risk-averse but i'm cancelling my preorder of LA Noire until there's a definitive statement on this.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Mr.Petey said:
Just heard on the Eurogamer grape vine that apparently Rockstar retracted the statement:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-ps3-firmware-3-61-not-crashing-la-noire

I think I'm going to wait for an official statement from Sony or something concrete and factual but I'll start backing up my PS3 saves via mem. stick for now just to be on the safe side
A Sony spokesperson is on the record as saying to a reporter at Edge that "[a]s with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence. Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title LA Noire and have offered a workaround. It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles."

It's all there in the original report that's linked in the OP's article.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
I'm confused. Someone please tell me how this happened.
The more information there is on a disc, the harder the console has to work process that information. The harder the console works, the more heat its working parts produce. The more heat its working parts produce, the more likely it is to overheat.

I suspect that L.A. Noire is an information-rich game.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
JDKJ said:
Cid SilverWing said:
I'm confused. Someone please tell me how this happened.
The more information there is on a disc, the harder the console has to work process that information. The harder the console works, the more heat its working parts produce. The more heat its working parts produce, the more likely it is to overheat.
It also helps to take a break and not try and play the whole game in one sitting.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Sinclose said:
JDKJ said:
Nicolaus99 said:

Some day, maybe we'll all finally be one big PC community rather than this balkanized platform mess. I mean, they're just crippled computers that hook up to televisions.
Did you click and read the Edge article? The part that says Xbox 360 users have been experiencing the same problem? Or did you read all of the OP's article? Like the part that says Rockstar has "retracted" its earlier accusation? And that they might have "jumped the gun?"
From what I've seen, he's not the only one who didn't bother to read that.

There are far too many users who seem so eager to jump on the bandwagon of 'Sony failing' that they avoid objectivity that could destroy whatever assumptions they may hold, no matter how untrue they are. Heck, some of the initial comments on this very page show that.

Also, this part deserves more attention:

According to reports, a small number of users
It's not like it's guaranteed to destroy your console or something.
HankMan said:
If you can't stand the heat, get out of LA... Noire
And there's ANOTHER reason not to by a PS3
You know, the Edge article and <link=http://www.destructoid.com/l-a-noire-overheats-xbox-360s-as-well-as-ps3s-201500.phtml>this show that this affects Xbox users as well. It's a problem with the game, not the consoles.

Heck, even Rockstar admitted they were at fault, and the headline of the source article reads: Report: LA Noire To Blame For Consoles Overheating
It ain't like the haters ever need a good reason or accurate information to climb up on the hate soapbox. Haters gonna hate. That's what haters do: they hate. Do they ever let little nuisances like facts get in the way?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
HankMan said:
...Did you not read the article? It's happening on the X360 as well.

Sep 8, 2010
My girlfriend was playing this on the 360, and it froze up on her literally the second I finished reading the article. Hilarious.

Seriously, though, I've had that issue on both consoles with a lot of more recent games. I think we're just to a point where the processors in Current-gen games are being pushed about as hard as they can be. You just have to deal with the occasional overheat/hard-lock and be glad it didn't just flat-out brick your console, I think.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
HankMan said:
Kopikatsu said:
HankMan said:
Yeah, but it's still true.
Pfft. When I get my paycheck tomorrow, I'm trading in my 360 and all the games I have for it to get a PS3.

The PS3 has way better games, and the PSN is free. Have to pay like freakin' $100 a year for Live. Screw that.

Edit: Admittedly, I like the 360 controllers much, MUCH better than the PS3's.

joes

Oct 15, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Sony: L.A. Noire Overheating PS3 Consoles, Not Firmware

"If you've picked up L.A. Noire, just save as often as you can...

Oh how I wish I could...

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Sinclose said:
JDKJ said:
It ain't like the haters ever need a good reason or accurate information to climb up on the hate soapbox. Haters gonna hate. That's what haters do: they hate. Do they ever let little nuisances like facts get in the way?
Well maybe bullshit 'evidence' helps their ego, because then they can delude themselves they have backing for their hatred by quoting those sensationalized 'facts' arbitrarily...
Kinda like the "Sony got hacked because they were using outdated network system software" story that someone repeated here as recently as yesterday. Even though a teensy-weensy bit of detective work proved weeks ago that they in fact had the most currently available version of Apache.

Even Mary Mack Bono's self-proclaimed "expert" was more than willing to talk shit out his ass about Sony's security. Even though in his written testimony he states that he "has no information about what protections they had in place, although some news reports indicate that Sony was running software that was badly out of date, and had been warned about that risk." You'd think that the more appropriate statement would be "I have no information about what protections they had in place and therefore can offer no knowledgeable testimony to this Subcommittee about what security Sony had in place. Sorry." Expert. Yeah, right. Expert bullshitter.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
HankMan said:
Kopikatsu said:
HankMan said:
Yeah, but it's still true.
But if so, then it's also a reason not to buy an Xbox. You do see that conclusion is to be found based on your own logic, don't you? If so, why'd you'd limit your conclusion to only the PS3? That wasn't very bright of you, was it?

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Even though I have a 360 I sense its time to break out the fans again.....now ive just got to find those little buggers.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Nicolaus99 said:

OT: Surely something like this would have happened during development/player testing?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Jonny49 said:
Nicolaus99 said:

*snipped pic*

OT: Surely something like this would have happened during development/player testing?
Maybe not. The presence of the new firmware update may be making that prior testing irrelevant.