[UPDATE] Sony and Rockstar: Neither L.A. Noire Nor Firmware Overheating PS3 Consoles

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
dragongit said:
So... if its not the game, nor the firmware, why are PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire? Don't just give us random statments, give us answers Sony/Rockstar! I'm tempted for the game but I don't want a crimescene on my hands if my PS3 dies on me.
I'm feeling the same way too, but I just heard off my mate (jammy git got his copy early today), that his 360 has crashed or shut down a few times today after 5 hours of gameplay.

Maybe this is a scenario where youll have to limit playtimes and *sigh* take breaks.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Sober Thal said:
*Update*: Sony and Rockstar have issued a joint statement on the PlayStation Blog that "confirms" neither L.A. Noire or the 3.61 firmware update are causing PS3 consoles to overheat.

Yep, let's blame Bigfoot instead! He hasn't gotten any press lately.
I saw that. And laughed out loud. The only two possible suspects ruling themselves out of the case. Maybe the dead guy wasn't murdered, he committed suicide?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
*Update*: Sony and Rockstar have issued a joint statement on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/19/rockstar-games-and-sony-joint-statement-on-l-a-noire] that "confirms" neither L.A. Noire nor the 3.61 firmware update are causing PS3 consoles to overheat (nor Xbox 360s?). Whether that's a load of malarkey or not is unsure, so stay vigilant during your interrogations and contact Sony or Rockstar support if you face any issues.
Finally, they're both making some sense. Because really, it makes little sense that a firmware update would cause overheating (unless it fucked with the fan speeds for some reason, but then Sony would have obviously known that they did so). And it also makes little sense that one game would cause overheating. I know that LA Noire has some pretty advanced facial motion capture tech going on, but if the PS3 can handle other complex things like some of the stuff in Uncharted 2, or something like Killzone 3 that can run 3D and Playstation Move all at once, why would some other game with a lot going on suddenly make the cooling system ineffective?

Seems like the most logical explanation is some unhappy coincidences for some players. Especially for those seeing the start of warmer summer weather. Because come on, let's not forget that this overheating isn't happening to everyone who touches the game. Most people are happily playing without issues.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Pipotchi said:
Petromir said:
Pipotchi said:
Ha I like entry number six on the Rockstar FAQ

"6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software."

Oh good I will just run out and buy another copy of a game that might not work or pop the game in my backup PS3 I keep around for just such occasions
/Facepalm

Because nobody has mates with consoles, or indeed 360 owners dont have a couple of disks.......

Just because a instruction is useless to you doenst make it useless to all.
So you're saying that expecting your customers to run around to their friends house to test your products is reasonable

/Facepalm indeed
Offering it as a potential way to find such things out is entirely reasonable, theya rent forcing anyone to do anything. And I'm sure many would prefer this than sending their console away to be fixed only to find out the console is fine 3 or 4 weeks later. Its a suggestion not a command.

THere are precious few ways to identify whether a particualr console or copy of the game might be casuing an issue, and this is for many the least painful way of doing this.

Half the battle in problem solving is identifying whats wrong, and since theres a number of potential issues here trying to fix the problem without knowning what the problem is, and therefore in this case whos responsibility it is to fix it is pretty damn important. If the parictular consoles faulty because of an update, no matter how many discs rockstar send out its not going to fix it, if the discs faulty then no matter how many repairs or replcaements sony do the issues going to reoccur.

So no I don't think that to help fix an issue not everyones having, suggesting a step to help identify whats up is unreasonable, as long as they don't refuse to continue support if you don't.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
This just in:

Summer weather makes things hotter! unSurprisingly, some consoles are overheating.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
wooty said:
Hmmmm, stuck in a weary rut now. Really looked forward to this game, but all I can think of is my poor old PS3 dying.
Choooiiises, choises.
Bah! Ignore it. I have an old 40 GB version of PS3, and I had this game up and running 12h non-stop twice, and it gave me no problems. It has an amazing climate and well above the average plot, so don't hesitate and buy it. The fact, that 100 out of 10,000 players encountered the problem, doesn't mean that you'll have it. The game is worth it anyway.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Guess I'll find out the hard way tomorrow. European release time WOOOO! Hope my PS3 doesn't fry though. I don't know if I'm up for buying a 3rd one...

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Kopikatsu said:
HankMan said:
Kopikatsu said:
HankMan said:
If you can't stand the heat, get out of LA... Noire
And there's ANOTHER reason not to by a PS3
...Did you not read the article? It's happening on the X360 as well.
Yeah, but it's still true.
Pfft. When I get my paycheck tomorrow, I'm trading in my 360 and all the games I have for it to get a PS3.

The PS3 has way better games, and the PSN is free. Have to pay like freakin' $100 a year for Live. Screw that.

Edit: Admittedly, I like the 360 controllers much, MUCH better than the PS3's.
PS3 owner here. Welcome to the club!
(And if you have TOO much trouble getting used to the standard controller, you should easily be able to find a 3rd party controller that suits you better.)

On topic: It does sound as if the problem is readily solved by taking a break every now and then, instead just playing constantly all weekend. I'm just hoping I won't forget to do that.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
Tom Goldman said:
[UPDATE] Sony and Rockstar: Neither L.A. Noire Nor Firmware Overheating PS3 Consoles

Sony says Rockstar Games wrongly accused the 3.61 firmware update of overheating PS3 consoles during play of L.A. Noire.

According to reports, a small number of users playing Rockstar Games' restoration [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305813593&sr=8-1] of the PlayStation Network. Now, Sony is saying it's an issue with the game itself and not the PS3's firmware.

Sony told Edge "unequivocally" that there are no issues with the 3.61 firmware update. Rockstar said it had confirmed with multiple games that its very own PS3 consoles were overheating or freezing only when 3.61 was installed, primarily with older 80GB and 60GB models, but has since retracted its statement (available through cache here [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DzwN0zzQ4QoJ:support.rockstargames.com/entries/20127883-ps3s-shutting-themselves-off-while-playing-l-a-noire+rockstar+games+l.a.+noire+ps3+firmware&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com]).

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence," Sony said. "Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title L.A. Noire and have offered a workaround."

"It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles," Sony added. Rockstar's support page now features instructions [http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20126677-what-to-do-if-you-are-crashing-or-freezing-in-l-a-noire] for owners of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 that experience issues while playing L.A. Noire.

Rockstar Games either jumped the gun on the issue, or Sony challenged its evidence and laid the smackdown. If you've picked up L.A. Noire, just save as often as you can and keep an eye on your console so you don't have to solve its murder too.

*Update*: Sony and Rockstar have issued a joint statement on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/19/rockstar-games-and-sony-joint-statement-on-l-a-noire] that "confirms" neither L.A. Noire nor the 3.61 firmware update are causing PS3 consoles to overheat (nor Xbox 360s?). Whether that's a load of malarkey or not is unsure, so stay vigilant during your interrogations and contact Sony or Rockstar support if you face any issues.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-la-noire-to-blame-for-consoles-overheating]

Time to go to work, work all night.
Search for underpants we.
We won't stop until we have underpants.
Lots of yummy pants we.

Of all the asinine things I've heard in my life, I just don't understand this. So instead of finger-pointing, they end up with their hands on each others shoulders while customers continue to have overheating and playability issues? Unacceptable.
I can't agree more. I'm just as shocked!
"Sony did it!"
Sony: "Fuck you, jackass. We're going to point out how it's your fault."
RStar: "But that'll ruin our sales and show us to be assholes (since we blamed Sony when cases of it popped up on the 360 too. major herp-derp)! Come on, Sony. You know you can use the cash. We gave you exclusive content and everything."
Sony: "Well, we do love money... Okay, we'll partner up."

*at the same time, with their hands in each other's ass pockets* Sony&RStar: "Looks like everything is OOOOKAAAAY! AAAAHAHAHA!"

...But seriously, fuck Sony for being so damn shysty and fuck RStar for being so blatantly shysty as always. How they can be a favorite developer is beyond me.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
Quellist said:
Sheesh, my last post was about QA departments being full of people getting paid to do nothing now i see this...
So you're blaming the QA department even though I imagine you've never worked in one before? Most bugs submitted by the QA department these days that aren't class A or bugs with a very high frequency get ignored in the last few months due to the "we can fix the problem after release" philosophy and the publisher heckling the developer to get the product complete by their deadline.

Sorry but blaming QA is ridiculous.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
fuck, i may have to rethink getting la noire now. i want the game but not enough to risk damaging my ps3

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
JDKJ said:
Ian Caronia said:
*snip*
OP: LA Noire (it's "noir" not "noire". The game isn't French so why is it spelled that way?) *snip*
That's an interesting question. The name's based on the cinematic genre of "film noir" which is French for "black film" and, while "noir" and "noire" both appear in French, "film noir" is never "film noire."
Wow, you're right. I didn't realize how much of a screw up it was until just now. I was wondering why all those classic noir films didn't get called "noire" alternatively or something.
Thanks for the reply, JDKJ! Now I have something to chuckle about, and I can avoid making the same mistake in the future should I experiment with a classic noir feel for a short story.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
i think i'll be renting this game first it seems!
Edit: Also...i think an $6 hire sounds better than ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT FUCKING DOLLARS!! Man, Australia is overpriced!

teh_spartan

ultimate pwnerer
Mar 29, 2009
if you vew the google cache of the page then toggle between textonly and full you will see a image of a nun with a shotgun!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DzwN0zzQ4QoJ:support.rockstargames.com/entries/20127883-ps3s-shutting-themselves-off-while-playing-l-a-noire+rockstar+games+l.a.+noire+ps3+firmware&hl=en&client=firefox-a&gl=us&strip=0

i found the file its from read dead redemption

code:

<!-- body { background-image: url(http://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargames/img/global/downloads/wallpapers/games/reddeadredemption_undead_nun_1920x1200.jpg

LINK: http://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargames/img/global/downloads/wallpapers/games/reddeadredemption_undead_nun_1920x1200.jpg

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I have a first gen 60 gb but it works just fine. I have noticed that it sounds like a jet plane taking off (fan noise) when kept in a cabinet (and likely if it's never cleaned). Clean it, respect it, give it a seperate counter space (preferably away from the xbox 360, they don't get along too well). :p

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
JDKJ said:
Cid SilverWing said:
I'm confused. Someone please tell me how this happened.
The more information there is on a disc, the harder the console has to work process that information. The harder the console works, the more heat its working parts produce. The more heat its working parts produce, the more likely it is to overheat.

I suspect that L.A. Noire is an information-rich game.
Bugs can also heat things up... You know, these people need to lern2bugfix before releasing a title. I am getting tired of titles not working out of the box to most people, or having massive errors.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
PS3 works fine. But my L.A Noire seems to have a problem with being repetitive. Anyone got a fix?