Update: Street Fighter IV DLC Adds Five New Characters

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Street Fighter IV DLC Adds Five New Characters

The Street Fighter IV DLC includes Rolento, Elena, Hugo, Poison, and an unannounced original fifth character.

EVO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125939-EVO-2013-Starts-Today-Heres-How-To-Watch] is like Christmas for fighting game fans: the highest level players duking it out in their games of choice, peppered with panels from prominent developers in the fighting game scene such as Capcom. This year, at the Capcom panel, the developer announced a new update coming to its flagship Street Fighter IV, which includes five new characters.

The DLC adds fan favorites Rolento, Elena, Hugo, and Poison, as well as a fifth, as of yet unannounced character, who is completely new to the Street Fighter series. These five characters, as well as six new stages and a whole host of balance changes, will be heading to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC versions of Street Fighter IV. If you own Super Street Fighter IV or the updated Arcade Edition, you can purchase the DLC for $15. Buying this DLC also nets you the previously released costume packs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89210-Street-Fighter-4s-DLC-Bonanza].

[gallery=1637]

If you don't own Street Fighter IV, there will also be a new version of the game available for $40, which contains the base game, all of it's previously released updates, and this new update. It available both at retail and as a digital download.

In addition, you will receive special costumes designed by Udon for each new character if you preorder the game. The new update should also be released on the NESiCAxLive arcade network in Japan.

Capcom didn't offer an exact date, but said that the DLC should see release "in early 2014." The update's official name as well as an official release trailer should be released shortly.

Source: Shoryuken [http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/13/rolento-elena-hugo-poison-heading-to-street-fighter-iv-in-update-fifth-character-never-seen-before/]

Update: Check out the official announcement trailer, which reveals the DLC's official name: Ultra Street Fighter IV:

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Because Capcom doesn't have enough of our money.

Seriously though, this is the fourth console version in five years. How many times are they going to release the same game?

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Poison, Elena and Hugo? Yaaaaay finally, what took them so long? Although $15 is a bit retarded.

RaNDM G said:

Seriously though, this is the fourth console version in five years. How many times are they going to release the same game?
Hi there, please look up what Nintendo and Activison/Treyarch have been doing for the past DECADE.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
What's funny is that 4 of them are already in existence in SFxT so all they have to do is reuse their assets and tweak the mechanics to fit within the SF4 engine and alter the shadings a bit and they're done. They're DLC chars which are new to SF4 but they're not exactly "new chars".

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't care so much about new characters. Instead they should focus on changing the gameplay to be halfway decent. Axe some of those invincibility frames and get rid of the retarded mechanic that is ultras. Bring back multiple bar supers. I guess I should just go play SF3: 3S.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RaNDM G said:

Enough times to become fascinating. It's just amazing how many versions of a game they'll put out.

Some Street Fighter history:

sluggyfreelancer

Apr 16, 2009
Dreiko said:
What's funny is that 4 of them are already in existence in SFxT so all they have to do is reuse their assets and tweak the mechanics to fit within the SF4 engine and alter the shadings a bit and they're done. They're DLC chars which are new to SF4 but they're not exactly "new chars".
Let's hope their word of "new animations, specials and ultras" is true.

I wonder who the fifth character is? Hope it's not Asura...

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Mentioned multiple times already, but I'm assuming this is a lazy copy-paste of the SF vs Tekken renditions. The only saving grace is the free costumes, for those who hadn't already bought all of them.

If I could be guaranteed all the DLC, I might even invest in a Season Pass. As it stands, however...screw Capcom...I'm done wasting money on them...

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Funny how it will cost me more to just upgrade my retail Super Street Fighter IV to include these dlcs on my x360. I will get the new game for my PS3 now.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Elena huh?

It seems my interest in the game has been piqued again, as Elena is one of my all time favorite fighting game characters.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Yuuki said:
Hi there, please look up what Nintendo and Activison/Treyarch have been doing for the past DECADE.
Making hit after hit after hit of good games that not only improve over previous iterations but usually try and do something a little different each time?

The last time Nintendo dropped the ball with an actual first-party game was with Skyward Sword. And say what you will about Treyarch, at least World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops II are visually and thematically different between each game.

This is literally the same exact game being released for the fourth time we're talking about.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
At least they're offering the DLC option for those who don't want to buy the same game again.

Unlike for say, MvC3. (Will never let that go.)

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Yesssssss ROLENTO

It's about to become MISSION COMPRETE, motherf***ers!

Also yes, I'm glad that the DLC option was offered this time as well. There's just something about it that I prefer.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I never really realized this until I saw the DLC art but the artist for Super Street Fighter 4 is really inferior to whoever did the art for the original release of Street Fighter 4. Their grasp of anatomy, even with artistic liberty, is bugging the heck out of me.

Anyway, I was sure they were done with DLC for this game since there was such a long gap since Yin and Yang were released, but I was wrong! With the announced "early 2014" release window, that's almost a two year gap without much in the way for new content for this game. I guess Capcom is lucky that the tourney fighter circuit is around to keep SSF4:AE on people's minds for the genre fans. My group of friends kind of dropped SSF4 in favour of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RaNDM G said:

It's Capcom. At a guess, 20-30 more times.

Hyperbole aside, though, I'm not sure why people are surprised by Capcom's release schedule at this point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RaNDM G said:
Making hit after hit after hit of good games that not only improve over previous iterations but usually try and do something a little different each time?

The last time Nintendo dropped the ball with an actual first-party game was with Skyward Sword. And say what you will about Treyarch, at least World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops II are visually and thematically different between each game.

This is literally the same exact game being released for the fourth time we're talking about.
Stop trying to rationalise my blind hatred, dammit!

>.>