[Update] Super Street Fighter 3DS Features Behind-the-Shoulder Hadoukens

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
[Update] Super Street Fighter 3DS Features Behind-the-Shoulder Hadoukens

The upcoming 3DS version of Super Street Fighter IV allows players to fight in a completely different way.

The 3DS's extra power is allowing titles like Super Street Fighter IV [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B002TDIEEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285943915&sr=8-1-catcorr] to soon be in the palms of our hands, but in the case of the Capcom fighting franchise it might also be encouraging its developers to provide a totally new look at Street Fighter's traditionally side-view action. Andriasang translates a hands-on preview of Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition from Japanese gaming site 4gamer that reportedly reveals a brand new behind-the-shoulder fighting view.

Capcom previously said that it was trying to figure out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102416-Producer-Dishes-Out-Dirt-on-Super-Street-Fighter-IV-3D] how to utilize the 3DS's capabilities, so this new view mode may be part of what Capcom came up with. SSFIV: 3D apparently asks players if they want to turn 3D on or off when the game starts, and if they choose to turn it on the game switches to a view from behind their character's shoulder.

"It's like a different game," the previewer wrote. The game plays the same way through the new view, including the execution of moves such as Ryu's hadouken, but the camera constantly sticks to the character's back. Though it sounds awkward to play Street Fighter this way, the previewer seemed to enjoy it.

This is a fairly significant addition to the Street Fighter franchise, so for the new camera mode to be exposed without Capcom talking about it at all is strange. It might not be an official feature yet, it could have been unlocked in the previewer's copy by mistake, or a PR representative might have forgotten to tell the previewer what the deal was. For now, behind-the-shoulder in Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition will remain an unofficial feature until confirmation by more sources.

[Update] Well, the new mode has been officially revealed. The following video shows the new mode in action, and while the viewpoint isn't quite what I was expecting, it's definitely something different. Thanks kevo.mf.last [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/kevo.mf.last] for the video link!

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/30/super_sfiv_behind_shoulder_view/]
Image via: 4gamer [http://www.4gamer.net/games/121/G012145/20100929081/]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
That's certainly an... interesting innovation.

I have no idea if it will work. Trailers shall be awaited!

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I've no intent whatsoever on grabbing a 3DS, and I've no more interest in SF4 or any iteration thereof, so I'll give this one a miss.

Also, behind the shoulder view? I predict that's gonna fuck up a lot of those advanced 1-frame link combos.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Hubilub said:

ask and you shall receive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6fic-7xOzs

Tom Goldman said:
For now, behind-the-shoulder in Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition will remain an unofficial feature until confirmation by more sources.
consider it official.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
kevo.mf.last said:
Hubilub said:

ask and you shall receive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6fic-7xOzs

Tom Goldman said:
For now, behind-the-shoulder in Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition will remain an unofficial feature until confirmation by more sources.
consider it official.
Nice!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I'm trying to figure out how that'd work if someone jumps over you constantly. Though to be fair no one should be doing that to you, but I'm still intrigued.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Won't this screw up combos or beginning the next attack? Messing with what works usually pisses off the diehard fighting fans

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Bad bad idea, 2d control scheme does not work well when you fuck with the perspective and make it...not 2d. I really don't see this working out that well and the perspective is just awkward. Just not the kind of thing any serious fighting game player would use.

Devious Boomer

Nov 18, 2009
This is gonna screw with judging distance. Luckily, it seems you'll be able to switch back to side-scrolling - you'll only lack the 3D.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I pictured a much closer camera- this actually looks quite good. I think it'll make reacting to attacks easier.
Foxtrot Boom said:
This is gonna screw with judging distance. Luckily, it seems you'll be able to switch back to side-scrolling - you'll only lack the 3D.
The only reason this is being made is because of the 3d- you'll still have your judging distance but you'll have to adjust. And also, the 2d perspective still has 3d visuals. The things in the background seem far away, the fighters seem closer, and their attacks sometimes exit the screen. It seems to me that most people still don't understand what sterioscopic display does.

Devious Boomer

Nov 18, 2009
Electrogecko said:
The only reason this is being made is because of the 3d- you'll still have your judging distance but you'll have to adjust. And also, the 2d perspective still has 3d visuals. The things in the background seem far away, the fighters seem closer, and their attacks sometimes exit the screen. It seems to me that most people still don't understand what sterioscopic display does.
Quote: SSFIV: 3D apparently asks players if they want to turn 3D on or off when the game starts, and if they choose to turn it on the game switches to a view from behind their character's shoulder.

That was what I was talking about. I may have misconstrued the quote; it's a bit ambiguous. I would sure like to have 3D even whilst side-scrolling (and it probably would anyway as it's a stereoscopic projection) but the over-the-shoulder perspective is all I find strange. Visually, it's pretty cool, but gameplay-wise, I'd like to stick to the side-scrolling. Don't fret, more people understand stereoscopy than you think.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Looks interesting, though I do wonder how the game camera will react to the constant jumping that most players will do.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
So the final boss of DOA 3 was what? A trail blazer? I mean that camera angle was universally maligned. I guess cap figures 3d will make all the difference.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
It will make judging attack distances a nightmare. Plus I dont see the DS controls comparing with a good joystick.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
chemicalfire said:
I think he's saying "The Chikaka!" over and over again in the video.
What?

I'm hearing...

"no Game Soft Maker mo fumarete ite hatsuwai tosho kara renkei o kun dakatachi da"

No idea if it's accurate, though.