Update: Telltale's Teasing Us With Walking Dead Season 2 Trailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Update: Telltale's Teasing Us With Walking Dead Season 2 Trailer

Probable Christa sighting, and a whole lot more.

Telltale's The Walking Dead Season Two is so close we can almost taste it, and the developer's been teasing the world with Clementine-themed Vine shorts. But that's not all it's teasing us with: there's a big announcement due later on, and if you don't want to miss it, better start paying attention aroundabout 12pm PST, or 3pm Eastern Standard.

Yeah, I know, the suspense, killing me, and so forth. We know Clementine's the main character this time around, we know that Omid's going to show up, but beyond that, it's all one big zombie-infested mystery. What's that house in the Vine shot? Does it really have electricity? Why's Clem splattered with gore?

Aaaarrrrghllllll ...

This one's due on Steam December 17th, Xbox December 18th, and an unknown date for other platforms.

Source: Telltale Twitter [https://twitter.com/telltalegames/statuses/410862822093246465]

Update: Trailer added!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Clem, being horrifically traumatised by all the deaths she has seen including that big one at the end of season one (spoilers), turns into a serial killer and you play the game hunting down the remaining survivors, winning their trust with her cute charms and then brutally murdering them one by one? Could explain why she's spattered with gore...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ERMERGERD I AM SO EXCITED! The feels! The feels will be too much! I don't think I can survive this alone! Quick! Someone hold me!

T^T

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Aw man, I'm having flashbacks to the final episode of the previous season because of that one clip they used.

Dem feels man. ;.;

Totally excited for this though, the time to get on the feel train is nigh!

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
From what they have said I am fairly certain if you have a save file from your play through it can load that and your choices will be the ones that you chose on your play though. I may be wrong, but thats how I understood it. Guess we will know for sure next week haha.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Insane Guy of DOOM said:
There's a guy who looks identical to Kenny at 0:38 in the trailer.
I thought so too, went back and paused. I googled images of Kenny... it might be. Red hat, bit of stubble, flared hair.

... Not sure if I'm a sad person for doing that. Kinda hope he doesn't show in Episode 1, though. Unless he's batshit crazy.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Oh Mylanta, Telltale has resorted to reusing dead characters. This must somehow be part of a sinister plan to screw over us poor consumers.

I mean, I clearly saw Kenny get forced off screen while being suspiciously unharmed, he's 100% dead. No doubt about it.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
First off, you likely should have that list with what you did in the first game as spoilers. Most of it is pretty harmless. But the last one is a major thing, and you never know when someone who hasn't played it might stumble on your comment.

Second, I doubt that the decisions being brought over will be much of an issue. Mostly because most of the decisions didn't really change anything in game. I played through it a second time with a friend, who made quite a few different decisions than I did. And he didn't really have anything different happen. They honestly did an excellent job of making your choices seem important without them actually effecting anything.

Other than some character-model changes and some bits of dialogue, I don't think it'll be a lot more work for Telltale. But I might be wrong about that. They might do it different in season two. We'll just have to see.

I'm just honestly kind of worried that this won't be as good as season one was. Clem was a big reason season one had the emotional punch is did. You didn't control her, but it felt like your decisions changed who she was as a character. You saw her develop. The way they're trying their hardest to push everything being about her, and the fact you now control her in the game, makes me worry she's going to be less interesting as a character. You don't mold her with your decisions anymore. You just make the decisions for her, just like you did Lee.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
cursedseishi said:
The issue here, I see, is going from shifting how Clementine views the world as her own character, to using Clementine as a vehicle for the player. It's a shift in perspective that will be the trickiest thing to handle for them, because unlike Lee you already see her personality developing throughout the games. She's her own character, variable as it might be, and now she's becoming the player.
That was my point. The fact that she was such a huge part of what made the first game great is going to be tried pretty hard when the player actually gets control of her. If there's some way for Telltale to have 'personalized' speech options for how Lee taught her, that'd be cool. But I doubt it'll even go that far.

The trick here will be to tie in the decisions from the first season, in order to affect any choices within the second. If she doesn't use a gun at all, and was never trained with one, perhaps some point in season two she'll have to make a choice involving a gun, and that inexperience can lead to a death or incident or what have you. Or, as another example, if she was to receive the sweater/shirt/whatever in season 1, she may be more willing to steal/take what is needed or the like.

Unlike most Bioware games, especially the Mass Effect trilogy, there isn't some arbitrary good/evil mechanic within the game. And also unlike the Mass Effect trilogy specifically, it doesn't punish you again and again for ever deciding to take the "Renegade" routes throughout the game.
The problem is, a lot of those choices you can't avoid. I don't believe there's any way to avoid training Clem to shoot, using your example. You can't avoid doing a lot of the big events in the game. And the ones that seem big carry no huge consequence. And for the Steal/Take option, I'm willing to bet that's going to have the same thing as season one. There's going to be an option, left to the player, to steal or not to steal. I doubt it'll be specifically molded to the player. But Telltale is skilled at making people think the game is, based on season 1.

That said, there are some options they could carry over and have it be interesting. Such as having anyone you spared in episode two of season one come back. But even for that kind of decision, I'm willing to bet they'll have another character doing the same thing if you just killed everyone.

You compared it to Mass Effect, and I think that's a fair comparison. But between the two, I think Walking Dead gives a very good illusion of choice without actual consequences. Mass effect, on the other hand, felt like your choices didn't matter quite as much, but actually had things change based on those decisions. But Mass Effect has had three games, and Walking Dead only one season. So we'll see if Telltale keep 'illusion of choice' or has actual consequences when season two comes out.