Update: The Escapist Community Musician Rocks a Half-Life 2 Tribute Song

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Update: The Escapist Community Musician Rocks a Half-Life 2 Tribute Song

A musically inclined member of The Escapist's community has composed tribute songs in praise of mute Half-Life hero Gordon Freeman and Gears of War redshirt Clay Carmine, and they rock pretty darn hard.

You can say a lot of things about The Escapist's community - for one, they have excellent tastes in gaming-culture websites. For another, they're quite the multi-talented bunch. The song you see (or rather hear) here to the right is called "Gordon Freeman Saved My Life," and it was composed by none other than The Escapist's own MiracleOfSound.

The song tells the story of the occupation of City 17 by the iron-fisted rule of the Combine, and the hero who came along to free it with naught but his wits and a crowbar. It's also actually a really catchy tune on its own rights - even more so given that it's the work of just one guy.

It's a shame that there are so few songs heralding the glory of the true hero of the City 17 rebellion: Lamarr the headcrab. However, for the time being, I suppose we should take what we can get, particularly if they turn out as well as this one did.

Update: Not a day after the first song, here comes a up for the community to decide [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.231300-Poll-Another-song-for-my-peeps-Gears-Of-War-this-time].

Called "The Ballad of Clay Carmine" and told from the perspective of one of the COG soldiers, this sophomore album (sort of) may actually be better than the original HL2 song! Don't you love talented videogame fans?

(The Escapist forums [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.231018-Gordon-Freeman-Saved-My-Life] - Thanks, Hubilub!)

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
As I wrote in the original thread. Awesome. If it was a metal it would be Unobtanium. If it was a game it would be Mafia. If it was a actor it would be Anthony Hopkins.

I think I've made my point clear.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Nice song, but everyone forgets the true true hero of City 17: Laszlo. Truly, he was the brightest mind of our generation.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
One of the best damn video game songs ever.

I also demand a cut of the profits now that I've helped advertise the thing!

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
That is pure epic. Give this man a fucking badge. It sounds a bit like Guns 'N' Roses to me.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Badge him, Badge him, Badge him *chants*

Uh. *coughs* Anyway. Even though I'm repeating myself here: That's talent, skill and passion all bunched up neatly together. A one-way ticket to success. Fantastic work.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
ultimateownage said:
That is pure epic. Give this man a fucking badge. It sounds a bit like Guns 'N' Roses to me.
I second this.

Make him his very own rockin' badge!

Or have him make a collaboration with Rebecca Mayes or something.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Furburt said:
Fuck yes! Nice one Miracle my boy!

I'm really sorry I couldn't help you with it, I just noticed the PM in my inbox.

But this is great. I nominate Miracle for a Thanks badge!
A thanks! badge is too puny! [sub]Plus he hasn't really earned a "thanks" from the site anyway[/sub].

He must get something even moar awesome!

LIKE A PONY!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Ooooooh very nice, well done Miracle! Don't ever talk to you but thats some pretty neat shizzle you've done there :p

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
"Like Chuck Norris in a geek form."

Thank you for giving me that wonderful image. The song kicks ass, too.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
This man deserves a glorious badge for his accomplishment at increasing the amount of awesome stuff present in geek culture.

the song is truly of great quality.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
That was awesome. Wow man, great work. Very impressive. Are any other videos going to be made?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That's pretty damn awesome.
If you read this Miracle, ever consider a job in the music industry? You have the voice and the creativity for it, it seems.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
voetballeeuw said:
That was awesome. Wow man, great work. Very impressive. Are any other videos going to be made?
Even better: He's taking requests. Though there's about 7 pages worth of video game themed requests for songs, so if you have one, it might take some time.