UPDATE: Video of Females on Female Characters Panel

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
UPDATE: Video of Females on Female Characters Panel

Which characters go beyond the boobs?

Update: The guys over at Nerd Calibur [http://nerdcaliber.com/blogs/] were awesome enough to record video of the "Females on Female Characters" panel. For those of you who weren't able to attend PAX East 2011 - or those who want to watch it again - you can catch all the hilarity and frank discussion of female characters in the following three videos. Share and Enjoy!

Many thanks to Nerd Calibur [http://nerdcaliber.com/blogs/] for posting these videos.

Original post:

At PAX East 2011, The Escapist's own Susan Arendt led a panel of prominent female gamers to discuss which women characters in games transcend the stereotype of merely being an object of male desire. Journalists A.J. Glasser and Tracey John, Loading Ready Run's Kathleen DeVere and Trina Schwimmer, founder of GamingAngels.com, went through the various characters that they hold as the ideal portrayal of women, as well as the ones that just fell flat, or well-endowed, as the case may be. The panel concluded that writing decent characters of either gender is a significant challenge, but that game developers should continue to focus on creating female characters that portray more than one dimension instead of just "hot." It must also be said that hot isn't always bad either.

"There are some common misconceptions about how female gamers feel about female characters and the first one is that we hate sexiness," Susan Arendt said. "[We don't feel] that if there is a character that is physically attractive - that if she is sexy - then that is automatically sexist."

A.J. Glasser responded that many women she speaks to will complain about a character's breast size first. "Can't I just hate her to hate her? Why do I have to hate her because she's pretty?" she asked rhetorically. The panel agreed that many of the problems that they had with female portrayals in games was inadequacies in game mechanics rather than merely taking offense at the presentation. Fighting games such as the first Soul Calibur did a decent job of having female characters that could be judged on their relative merits - Ivy was difficult to master, but then became eye candy in the sequels - but the Dead or Alive "jiggle" had to be mentioned.

The panel discussed many female characters that just didn't go beyond the stereotype. Much of the cast of Final Fantasy XIII failed because they were written poorly - the main character Lightning in particular, but also Fang because she was originally written as a male character before her gender was switched midway through development. "That makes so much sense," Kathleen DeVere said when she discovered the switch. "She's a cardboard character. This person is gruff and tough. There's nothing in there that makes her male or female."

A second misconception is that female gamers want all female characters to be as tough as the males. "We just want well-developed characters," Arendt said. Ripley from the Aliens series of movies is a great example of a complex female character, because she acts strongly when her children are threatened without losing her femininity, but even a overtly sexual character like Bayonetta has promise.

"It's a silly main premise for a character, and it's supposed to be fun to play and I don't have a problem with that as a female gamer," DeVere said. "[Bayonetta] is a female main character - if they think they can sell a game with a female main character, and make her witty, that's a big step."

Tracey John wasn't sure that Bayonetta was empowering for female gamers, to which Susan Arendt responded, "I think what makes Bayonetta appealing is that she very much owns her sexuality. She's hot, but she ain't hot for you." Bayonetta exists in a world where sex is normal, but that doesn't mean she does it for your approval.

While it is refreshing to have a character that is comfortable with her sexuality, it's important to realize that is only one facet of the human experience. "How many of you spend any amount of time thinking about whether you are sexy when you're playing a game?" AJ Glasser asked.

Other characters were put forth as being excellent or terrible examples of female characters in games - from early Lara Croft to late Lara Croft to the soon-to-be-rebooted Lara Croft - but finally the women on the panel acknowledged that, although steps have been made to create believable female characters, game developers still have a long way to go. Admittedly, all characters in games, both male and female, need to be deeper and more well-rounded. "Gender doesn't define what makes a great character," Tracey John said. "There can be great female characters that don't fall into any of the stereotypes."

"Female characters are hard to write," Glasser said before she was interrupted by Arendt. "All characters are hard to write," she said.

As a writer, I couldn't agree more, but I think that panels like "Females on Female Characters" will empower both the gaming audience and developers to pay attention to crafting well-rounded and authentic female characters. If the packed room of over three hundred strong and the wonderful response from both males and females in the audience for this panel is any indication, gamers would certainly appreciate it.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I always think about whether I'm sexy when I'm playing a game. What's wrong with that?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Greg Tito said:
even a overtly sexual character like Bayonetta has promise.

"It's a silly main premise for a character, and it's supposed to be fun to play and I don't have a problem with that as a female gamer," DeVere said. "[Bayonetta] is a female main character - if they think they can sell a game with a female main character, and make her witty, that's a big step."

Tracey John wasn't sure that Bayonetta was empowering for female gamers, to which Susan Arendt responded, "I think what makes Bayonetta appealing is that she very much owns her sexuality. She's hot, but she's ain't hot for you." Bayonetta exists in a world where sex is normal, but that doesn't mean she does it for your approval.
Surprising responses, to be honest. I was expecting Bayonetta hate. I just knew she'd turn up in there somewhere.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
This pretty much touches on the same things that came up in the latest EC episode: step 1 to creating a good female character is to create a good character.

There certainly are aspects to the female experience that can be drawn from to both foster that creative process and also to enrich the surrounding game, but that's no different from creating a well rounded male character by bringing in aspects of the male experience. Characters of both genders, however, fail completely when the only added features are stereotypical ones.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Some valid points in there, for sure.

I'd strongly disagree on the character of Lightning in FFXIII due to actually liking that game (and the character), but I know well I'm in the minority on that opinion (in terms of the game as a whole itself in perspective), so I'll just leave it at that.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
It surprises me that they didn't mind Bayonetta. As a male gamer, I personally felt awkward for pretty much every second of the demo. It felt like her sexuality was being forced in my face, from her poses to her mega-legs to the fact that her clothes kept coming off. If I was meant to find it attractive, I didn't. It just felt like it was trying to sell me the game based on the concept that big moves are rewarded with nudity.

LornMind

Dec 27, 2008
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Greg Tito said:

Tracey John wasn't sure that Bayonetta was empowering for female gamers, to which Susan Arendt responded, "I think what makes Bayonetta appealing is that she very much owns her sexuality. She's hot, but she's ain't hot for you." Bayonetta exists in a world where sex is normal, but that doesn't mean she does it for your approval.
Surprising responses, to be honest. I was expecting Bayonetta hate. I just knew she'd turn up in there somewhere.
Yet they still focus heavily on Bayonetta's sexualized qualities, which means they are not bothering to look below the surface and see what really makes her tick.
You mean a strange motherly-care dynamic she harbors, but is in relation to herself as a child which makes it a strange mix of motherly-care and self-preservation?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
Greg Tito said:

Yet they still focus heavily on Bayonetta's sexualized qualities, which means they are not bothering to look below the surface and see what really makes her tick.
We actually went into more detail than that, but what we wanted to address was the common misconception was that because she was sexy, females automatically didn't want to play the game. We discussed why her version of sex appeal is so much different than, say, that dumb whore from X-Blades.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Thanks for defending Bayonetta, definitely my favorite female character, and DMC-like game (whatever the genre DMC applies to).

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
HankMan said:
Female characters are hard to write
... For Guys.
JEBWrench said:
I always think about whether I'm sexy when I'm playing a game. What's wrong with that?
Hell I KNOW I'm sexy when I'm playing a game
Yes, but I think about just HOW sexy.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
I'm really surprised not to see Faith from Mirror's edge mentioned much or at all in these things.
She wasn't represented in a physically over emphasized or overly sexual way.
Her character was confident, independent - yet fragile.

For me She was a pretty feminine character, certainly different to the masculine Kill Everything type, She wanted to protect her Sis and bollocks to the rest.. Politician murdered... pah!.. Sis framed... cue against the odds story to get her back and safe again - the world can wait, family first.

If Faith had been written as a man, rescuing the sister would be a side mission, It would have been called Die hard Running.

How many games end in a hug?

Tally LRR

Oct 21, 2009
Curious to know whether female Commander Shepard came up during the panel. I find her to be an excellent video game character, and I believe her strong portrayal is due both the to the writing and voice acting. Also an interesting situation as, to the best of my knowledge, male Commander Shepard has largely (if not entirely) the same diologue options. But I never got the sense that female Commander Shepard was overly masculine. So there's a case where they've taken one character, given it two possible genders, and (I feel) managed to make them both come across well. At least, the female comes across well. I haven't played as male Shepard, so don't really know for sure.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tally LRR said:
Curious to know whether female Commander Shepard came up during the panel. I find her to be an excellent video game character, and I believe her strong portrayal is due both the to the writing and voice acting. Also an interesting situation as, to the best of my knowledge, male Commander Shepard has largely (if not entirely) the same diologue options. But I never got the sense that female Commander Shepard was overly masculine. So there's a case where they've taken one character, given it two possible genders, and (I feel) managed to make them both come across well. At least, the female comes across well. I haven't played as male Shepard, so don't really know for sure.
Yep, she sure did. She's a strong character that doesn't just feel like a man with breasts and eye shadow, which is what female (and many male!) players so fond of her.

ascorbius said:
I'm really surprised not to see Faith from Mirror's edge mentioned much or at all in these things.
She wasn't represented in a physically over emphasized or overly sexual way.
Her character was confident, independent - yet fragile.

For me She was a pretty feminine character, certainly different to the masculine Kill Everything type, She wanted to protect her Sis and bollocks to the rest.. Politician murdered... pah!.. Sis framed... cue against the odds story to get her back and safe again - the world can wait, family first.

If Faith had been written as a man, rescuing the sister would be a side mission, It would have been called Die hard Running.

How many games end in a hug?
We talked about Faith, too. :)

Susan Arendt said:
We actually went into more detail than that, but what we wanted to address was the common misconception was that because she was sexy, females automatically didn't want to play the game. We discussed why her version of sex appeal is so much different than, say, that dumb whore from X-Blades.
Here's the difference, as I see it.

Bayonetta is well-written, well-fleshed out, well-crafted and properly motivated. Ayumi is a poorly-crafted, unlikable prat and a metaphoric manual on how not to create a character. The misconceptions are derived from ultra-feminist dogma and the related assumptions that any female character that attempts to radiate sexuality is automatically labeled as an affront to women. Now that is not me saying that all women think this way. But in this day and age, it is how a lot of women are being instructed to think.

And I always say that a person should draw their own conclusions.
A big part of that is the American attitude that sex is something to be associated with shame or embarrassment, especially for women. As though having a healthy interest in sex is somehow dirty or perverted - unless it's in a loving monogamous, married relationship with the lights off, under the covers, of course. So we get these juvenile representations of sexuality.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
My problem with sexy women in games is - how many women you know that are that drop-down gorgeous? Real women are rarely sexy, at least not to video games' inflated standards. If you want to create deep characters start with someone who is at least average looking.

I do agree that the problem isn't so much that female characters in games are poorly written, just that all characters in games are poorly written, and so female (as well as black, gay, Asian, British etc) characters' stereotypes show up more, because it's easier to associate them with their stereotype. Of course 'tough space marine' is a stereotype of its own nowadays. But as video game writing improves, so will everything related to it.