Update: Who's Leading the Console War in Europe?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Update: Who's Leading the Console War in Europe?

At GamesCom last month, Sony claimed it had moved 10 million PS3s in Europe days after Microsoft announced it had sold 9 million Xbox 360s. But now, Microsoft's Chris Lewis says that the 360 still maintains a lead of one million units over rival Sony.

I imagine it was quite embarrassing for Microsoft to find that, only days after its proud announcement that it had sold 9 million 360s in the PAL territories, competitor Sony countered with the claim that it had an install base of 10 million in the same region. After all, the 360 has been enjoying the benefits of its year-long head start over the PS3, and has been leading everywhere that isn't Japan - so this was a bit of an "egg on your face" for the Redmond-based software giant.

So really, it's no surprise that the company is looking to set the record straight (to take them at their word - if you're feeling cynical, this could be them just putting some spin on things). Speaking to MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35663/360-1m-ahead-of-PS3-in-Europe], Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis said that the disparity was a result of how Sony and Microsoft counted their figures. In fact, said Lewis, the 360 still had a healthy 1m lead over its competitor:

[blockquote]"We count installed base differently to them," he added.

"We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."[/blockquote]

I guess the implication there is supposed to be that Sony... doesn't count the number of units in the hands of consumers? I suppose they could always be counting the number of consoles shipped to retailers, so the 10m claim would include consoles in homes as well as consoles sitting on store shelves. It's certainly not impossible, and the idea of the PS3 passing the 360 in Europe with so little fanfare does seem unlikely, but...

...well, it's enough to make one wonder, isn't it?

Update: As Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/03/ps3-vs-xbox-360-european-install-base-tiff-muddled-by-murky-bo/] points out, this might not be about counting numbers differently as it is about how both companies count different countries as part of different regions: "SCEE pools its population from Europe, Australiasia and other territories outside of Japan, the rest of Asia and North America. Microsoft EMEA combines figures from Europe, the Middle East and Africa."

That makes a lot more sense, actually.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Why are these guy always casually smiling in those pictures?

They should be wearing war-paint and roaring to the camera.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
[blockquote]We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."[/blockquote]

Yeah. Amount of units in the hands of consumers. You know, DISCOUNTING Red Ringed 360's.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
And meanwhile the Wii is cracking a whip over this guy's head while he's trying to take Sony down a notch.

Oh, the joys of Console politics.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
That seems a bit odd.
I hope to see an update on this, and who actually sold more units.
Not that I care either way, but I am curious, especially after these announcements.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Why are these guy always casually smiling in those pictures?

They should be wearing war-paint and roaring to the camera.
That would be way too honest for them...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
buy teh haloz said:
[blockquote]We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."[/blockquote]

Yeah. Amount of units in the hands of consumers. You know, DISCOUNTING Red Ringed 360's.
I hope they do discount them, though it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't, it'd certainly make their sales look better.
Also, I know of quite a few people, myself included, who've bought two 360s because their first one died of something that wasn't the red ring of death.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
HG131 said:
Here's how the console war will end for this generation in the eyes of gamers (not the casual idiots)
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

360 - Came out first, and has the best games for the lowest console price.
PS3 - Second Best games, overpriced console and were asses to the customer.
PC - Niche market.
Wii - The start of the end of gaming
you should know by now that fun will always conquer a good game, even if the gamplay is less the Wii will win.(as it is winning now)

after that 360/pc/ps3.

Keith Andrew

Aug 18, 2009
It's long been established that Sony and Microsoft count their userbases differently, in different regions.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Its pretty obvious that the big N is owning then with console sales in both handheld and home console...........but seriously who the f*ck cares?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
2 million PS3s sitting on shelves throughout Europe? Seems possible.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
HG131 said:
Here's how the console war will end for this generation in the eyes of gamers (not the casual idiots)
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

360 - Came out first, and has the best games for the lowest console price.
To bad their hardware was garbage and they treated their customers like guinea pigs.

I personally don't care who's leading the console wars. I have a Ps3 and a PC and I'm happy.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
[blockquote]"We count installed base differently to them," he added.

"We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."[/blockquote]
wow talk about drinking the corporate kool-aid

so what he's saying is that there are over 2 million PS3's sitting on the shelves in stores and such?

seriously i want to know what he's smoking and where i can get some cause you HAVE to be high and it must be really good to actually think that

i've heard some stupid m$ pr in the past but really that takes the cake

shial

Jan 5, 2009
PS3 would have a lot sitting around, with the ps3 slim coming out people would be holding out for it to launch instead. Plus if Sony is counting all their fresh shipments of the PS3 slims that would easily give them the numbers even though nobody has them yet.

PC Gaming is Hardly a niche at all is is a very big player, its just not a visible player because its more vaporous (No one company that you identify as being it, unlike sony, Nintendo and MS) Steam has 20 million accounts, XBox Live has 17 million