UPDATED - Bioshock 2 Rumors Debunked

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UPDATED - Bioshock 2 Rumors Debunked

More details about the upcoming Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams have surfaced thanks to the upcoming issue of Game Informer, including: two-player co-op, a surprising lack of Big Daddies, and the identity of the protagonist - oh, and Russians.

Game Informer subscription holders have been posting the article details in a thread [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=0538700b8bf84567fd36ad362e01c44f&t=30111] on the 2K Games forum - and predictably, the news is being met with equal parts suspicion and dismay that Bioshock 2 will not be exactly the same as Bioshock.

Of course, to be fair, some of the changes are pretty massive. Here's what we know thus far, if the reports are to be believed: Sea of Dreams takes place seven years after the end of the first game, putting players in the shoes of private investigator Jack Abbott. When Abbott's daughter is snatched from his New York beach house by the Big Sister - the game's primary antagonist - Abbott gives chase, getting his boat wrecked and finding himself in Rapture.

Abbott won't be the only person in Rapture this time around, either - according to the article, the underwater city has been discovered by none other than the Soviets, who hope to use Plasmid technology to gain an edge over the Americans in the Cold War. Abbott will also encounter genetically spliced animals - a mutated rhinoceros in the Rapture zoo as well as an underwater boss fight against a giant squid.

Perhaps most perplexing is the apparent disappearance of the first game's iconic Big Daddies. If reports are to be believed, there's only one Big Sister in the entire game, which would leave the shattered city of Rapture rather Mr-and-Mrs. Bubbles-less. Of course, this doesn't mean 2K couldn't be keeping a surprise reveal up their sleeves...

We'll know for sure whether these reports are accurate (and considering they seem to be verified by multiple sources, that's probably the case) shortly once we get our hands on the issue of Game Informer in question.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=210643])

UPDATE: 2K community manager Elizabeth has debunked said rumors in a post on the forums [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=408410&postcount=146]. Guess we'll learn all about Sea of Dreams for real when the actual issue hits shelves. One can't help but wonder if the multiple-source reporting was a case of a coordinated hoax, or just the spread of memetic information across the gamersphere?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
So the rumors that Bioshock 2 will feature Soviets isn't a joke....?

Hmmm I hope they can make this idea work...without any other info, Soviets in Rapture makes it seem like it was a homage to the Vodka the makers were drinking as they wrote the plot down

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
This is starting to sound much better than the prequal idea, i love the new website too.
Leaving the Big daddies out was a good idea too, around half way though bioshock they no longer seemed to matter, you would carefully prepare for your fight and then win first time.
And from a story stand point they arent needed either.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Well that throws a wrench into the works. Should be interesting to see what kind of a dynamic the Soviets have in relation to the main character and to the world they're in.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I like it. Maintain the family themes from the first game, stick with Levine's patented "Two dueling political ideologies" that drives all of his work, and gimme some co-op. Sounds like a winner to me.

Captain Spectacular

Feb 4, 2009
Well this news both excites me and makes me rather skeptical. Some of the new elements to it sound like they are good but everything does when written on paper. No more big daddies makes me sad but I can understand why they would do that plus the big sister looks sick! Hope to hear more about this soon...

Also, that picture looks like a Big Daddy Sackboy! Ha!

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Maybe Stalin Vs The Martians made the devs go back and reskin some splicers overnight :p

Thinking about it outside forces adapting to Life in Rapture and changing some areas (If that is indeed their intention) sounds very interesting

Just wait until the final BIG STALIN ON A SQUID BATTLE

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
I will be pissed off if they leave big daddies out all together, they helped give the original a great deal of its charm.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I think co-op for bioshock is the best idea they have come up with so far. As for soviets, I guess we will see how well the story goes when it comes out.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
One thing I'm hoping for in this game is for it to demonstrate the gradual effects of ADAM on people. By the sounds of it, Abbot shouldn't have been exposed to it before so his growing dependence could be incorporated into the gameplay. Perhaps a section where he can't find any and nearly becomes a splicer at some point too.

Not too sure about the co-op mode though.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
So we've gone from, "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?" to HAI GUYZ LOOK MUTANT ZOO LOL

My hopes fade.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
the plot really really sounds good to me, should be as unique as the first :D

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Sounds good to me actually,

Probably won't be as brilliant as the first one, but it sounds like a good story and I'll be all over this.