Updated: Earthworm Jim Coming to XBLA, PSN, WiiWare

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Updated: Earthworm Jim Coming to XBLA, PSN, WiiWare

Everyone's favorite worm in a super suit is coming back in downloadable form to every service imaginable: Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, WiiWare and mobile devices.

Sometimes wishes come true without you even trying. Last I checked, Earthworm Jim has been leading the votes for Sega's poll [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.131015] for which Genesis game to release on XBLA next, but apparently that's not even going to matter, because downloadable games pusher Gameloft has just announced that it will be developing and releasing Earthworm Jim in partnership with Interplay.

Due for release in the final quarter of this year, Earthworm Jim will hit just about every downloadable games service imaginable: Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, WiiWare and mobiles. That probably means there's an iPhone version, knowing Gameloft, which would be neat.

"Earthworm Jim resonates with millions of people worldwide and we are excited to have one of the best developers in the industry create this game for a new audience," Herve Caen of Interplay said. "Gameloft's creativity coupled with its innate knack for innovative games, makes us 100% confident that the result will be nothing short of stellar."

Of course this begs the question of what will become of Sega's plans for an Earthworm Jim release on XBLA. The odd thing is that if you go the Genesis poll from last week now, the site returns an error [http://www.genesispoll.com/]. Could Sega have just had its thunder stolen? Maybe they need to do the entire poll over, which, of course, means a second shot for the game that deserves an XBLA release more than Earthworm Jim, Toejam & Earl.

Or, is this a brand new Jim altogether? I've dropped a line with Gameloft, so I'll let you know.

UPDATE: Got the official word from Gameloft. This is a remake:

"Earthworm Jim will be a remake of the Sega Genesis/Super Nintendo Classic from 1994."

[Via Team Xbox [http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/20603/Earthworm-Jim-Wiggles-its-Way-on-to-Xbox-Live-Arcade/]]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Hooray, the most rndom game ever made.

You cannot finish it, no really, you cannot finish this game. The Cow never loses...

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
cool,I played a bit of that game,and it was interesting,good it's getting the zombie treatment and coming back from the dead.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
YES! I LOVE EARTHWORM JIM! I grew up blasting the crows, the ants, riding the giant hampster, playing as a blind newt, ITS AMAZING! I want to go DL it now.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I really wish they'd get of the other games made by Shiny entertainment like the MDK series.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
YES! YES! *epic bagpipes* Earthworm Jim, how I love your humorous cow related game. This is going to be a must buy!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I have this game on the PC. I can not get past level 3 and I've had it since I was 7...

I hate that submarien with all my soul!

bimbley

Jan 31, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
I hate that submarien with all my soul!
Oh God the submarine! Did anyone ever actually finish the game? It was damned hard.

Anyway, as to the news- everyone in my workplace wants to know why I just screamed like a small girl. I think that sums up my elation.

-Bimbley

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Oh you've got to be kidding be. I love that game. It's like it has everything but tangerines. I also loved that TV show with the catchy theme music and hilarious characters.

CD-R said:
I really wish they'd get of the other games made by Shiny entertainment like the MDK series.
MurderDeathKill?

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i loved this, infact i played and completed it erm...6 months back maybe?

but ill more than likely buy this game again even tho i have it just to suport them and hopefully get a new earthworm game released if it does well :p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
There is but one reaction to this news. (*ahem*)...

PLASMA!

Oh, dear lord, how I love Earthworm Jim. Love, love, love. But I'd really like the TJ&E games, too. Yes, all three of them.