Updated: Gabe Newell's Lack of Poker Skills Lost Him Gearbox Name

The Shade

New member
Mar 20, 2008
2,392
0
0
Captain Pancake said:
The point i'm making is that valve sounds much cooler to me than gearbox, though that's probably more to do with valve's reputation than anything else. You can see the similarities in the names though, both rather mechanically oriented, am i right? Anyway, I'm sure Gearbox had a hand in the half life expansion opposing force.
Opposing Force and Blue Shift were both developed by Gearbox.

----------------------

Tell me, honestly: which logo would you rather have?



Or

 

Captain Pancake

New member
May 20, 2009
3,453
0
0
The Shade said:
Tell me, honestly: which logo would you rather have?


Or

I'd Go for the "Ow my eye" option, but i think it's just more memorable.
 

Chipperz

New member
Apr 27, 2009
2,594
0
0
Strategia said:
Keane Ng said:
"The story begins when, and don't ask me what led to this, Gabe Newell and I were in New Orleans together and we decided to get on one of those river boats to cross the river"
I love how random that sounds. "So I was - don't ask me how - having lunch with Shigeru Miyamoto and Barack Obama in a hot air balloon, when we decided to head to France....."
*several hours later* ...and that's why they're called pineapples!

I love the ammount of people going "Well... Valve's a better name!" I wonder how many of these people would be going "Well... Gearbox is a better name than something stupid like Valve!" if it was the other way round :)
 

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
732
0
0
Chipperz said:
Strategia said:
Keane Ng said:
"The story begins when, and don't ask me what led to this, Gabe Newell and I were in New Orleans together and we decided to get on one of those river boats to cross the river"
I love how random that sounds. "So I was - don't ask me how - having lunch with Shigeru Miyamoto and Barack Obama in a hot air balloon, when we decided to head to France....."
*several hours later* ...and that's why they're called pineapples!
No, actually it was Big Bird who said that, not Nostradamus, and what he really said was ".....and that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped".

I love the ammount of people going "Well... Valve's a better name!" I wonder how many of these people would be going "Well... Gearbox is a better name than something stupid like Valve!" if it was the other way round :)
Yeah, that's why I abstained from making such comments. It's impossible to view the situation objectively, given the massive influence and overall excellent reputation Valve has.
 

nova18

New member
Feb 2, 2009
963
0
0
Spucktier said:
nova18 said:
ben---neb said:
Quite possibly that is the most legendary story I have ever heard. All that was missing was a hooker.
You kidding me?
This is Gabe Newell and Randy Pitchford, they probably had an ARMY of hookers.
Which leads to Newells story about the inspiration for headcrabs...
Did you just have to bring this to the equation? Now there's a naked Gabe with a hooker on his face locked into my head and I can't get it out (>.<)
So, when Lamarr is a pet-headcrab at HL, do they have pet-hookers at Valve too?
The fact that you even had to ask suggests that you have much to learn about Newells rockstar lifestyle ;)
 

randommaster

New member
Sep 10, 2008
1,802
0
0
WrongSprite said:
randommaster said:
Hey, this is the internet. You can't just go around saying "This->" to other people's comments. The internet is reserved for original ideas and creativity.
Good thing you put so much imagination and effort in your reply to the actual thread then. Hypocrite.

I'm thinking Gearbox is a much better sounding name, I can see why they had a 5 hour(!) match over it.
Captain Pancake said:
*Sigh* IF you really want me to stretch my brain, then okay... :p
I told myself that I wouldn't be sarcastic on the Internet anymore, but I just can't help myself.
 

Sentox6

New member
Jun 30, 2008
686
0
0
randommaster said:
I told myself that I wouldn't be sarcastic on the Internet anymore, but I just can't help myself.
I feel your pain. Every time I tell myself that the sarcasm is so blatantly, face-slappingly obvious that surely the meaning won't be misinterpreted.

And nearly every time, I am resoundingly wrong.
 

randommaster

New member
Sep 10, 2008
1,802
0
0
Sentox6 said:
randommaster said:
I told myself that I wouldn't be sarcastic on the Internet anymore, but I just can't help myself.
I feel your pain. Every time I tell myself that the sarcasm is so blatantly, face-slappingly obvious that surely the meaning won't be misinterpreted.

And nearly every time, I am resoundingly wrong.
I tried making a joke on the ZP:pokemon thread. I even went as far as saying Pkmn Black was an action-adventure game with better writting than Mass Effect. I got so many angry responses from that...