Updated: Gabe Newell's Lack of Poker Skills Lost Him Gearbox Name

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Sounds like Gabe really wanted that name. Too bad he couldn't muscle it away from Pitchford's skill and luck.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Now I want to know what caused them to decide SOURCE should be the name of their delivery system and STEAM should be the name of the engine. It's totally backwards!

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Great story.

I like Gearbox's name way better than Valve's, but Valve makes the better games.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Wow.

There's not much I can say to that. It's fascinating, in a strange sort of way.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Never heard of Gearbox to be honest, so GJ Gabe Newell for making vavle a cooler name than Gearbox

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
that's hilarious. I'd say that Valve is a better name, although Gearbox is pretty epic...

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Awesome story, but I like VALVe better than Gearbox.
Gearbox fanboy? Just isn't as catchy as Valve fanboy.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
ben---neb said:
Quite possibly that is the most legendary story I have ever heard. All that was missing was a hooker.
You kidding me?
This is Gabe Newell and Randy Pitchford, they probably had an ARMY of hookers.
Which leads to Newells story about the inspiration for headcrabs...

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Keane Ng said:
"The story begins when, and don't ask me what led to this, Gabe Newell and I were in New Orleans together and we decided to get on one of those river boats to cross the river"
I love how random that sounds. "So I was - don't ask me how - having lunch with Shigeru Miyamoto and Barack Obama in a hot air balloon, when we decided to head to France....."

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
That has to be the coolest name origin story ever. I think steam would be called... like... clockwork or something...

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Keane Ng said:
What to do, then? What else would you do on a New Orleans riverboat when you have to settle a score?
Have a party with me and my cajun queen?

Cocaine kisses, and moonshine misses. That's the life for me.

Spucktier

Jul 13, 2009
nova18 said:
ben---neb said:
Quite possibly that is the most legendary story I have ever heard. All that was missing was a hooker.
You kidding me?
This is Gabe Newell and Randy Pitchford, they probably had an ARMY of hookers.
Which leads to Newells story about the inspiration for headcrabs...
Did you just have to bring this to the equation? Now there's a naked Gabe with a hooker on his face locked into my head and I can't get it out (>.<)
So, when Lamarr is a pet-headcrab at HL, do they have pet-hookers at Valve too?

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
randommaster said:
Captain Pancake said:
randommaster said:
Hey, I'd settle for being Valve any day.
same here.
Hey, this is the internet. You can't just go around saying "This->" to other people's comments. The internet is reserved for original ideas and creativity.
*Sigh* IF you really want me to stretch my brain, then okay... :p

The point i'm making is that valve sounds much cooler to me than gearbox, though that's probably more to do with valve's reputation than anything else. You can see the similarities in the names though, both rather mechanically oriented, am i right? Anyway, I'm sure Gearbox had a hand in the half life expansion opposing force.

That elaborate enough for you?