UPDATED - Jack Thompson-Authored Truth In Advertising Bill Passes Utah House

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
at this point it might just be easier to deport anyone who listens to jack tompson, as a danger to national security since they are obviously infected with the stupid

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool returns to his folly."
-Proverbs 26:11

ScratchyD

Mar 4, 2009
jamestoo said:
So they've bought the US in line with the UK, then.

The law over here is you cannot sell age-related products to anyone under the age specified or to someone you believe is buying it for a youngster. So when a bloke comes in and stumbles up to the counter and asks for Halo Killzone 3, you know to refuse him.

Simple, really.
Actually, it's not even illegal in to sell "M" rated games to minors in the states. You can technically do it all day long, everyday. Most retailers advertise that they restrict the sales of "M" rated games, but participation with the ESRB is completely voluntary on every level. The developers and publishers aren't required to allow the ESRB to rate their games, and retailers aren't required to monitor game sales regarding the ratings. Everyone just agrees to cooperate with the system, despite its obvious and sometimes invasive flaws.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I thought you could already take legal action since selling a game like an MA15+ game (which legally can't be sold to a person 14 or younger) is illegal? Or is that just Australia?

addition:
Andy Chalk said:
gmer412 said:
Ya know, I'm not so sure that this bill is evil. I mean, what's wrong with prohibiting stores from selling violent videogames to kids? It's probably not addressing the real problem, but isn't this bill simply enforcing the law? Feel free to smite me with your logic as to why it's evil.
It's called the First Amendment. Here, read this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/5491-A-Crash-Course-in-ESRB

It explains, briefly, why videogame sales (among other things) cannot legally be restricted in the US, which is why Thompson's bills have inevitably failed, but also why this one may not. Of course, the irony is that by taking real steps to ensure this bill doesn't violate the First Amendment, it's bee made not just worthless and unenforceable but actually harmful to everyone involved in the process by essentially forcing Utah retailers to step away from the ESRB and any voluntary attempts to regulate sales to minors. It's both mind-boggling and disgraceful what this man will do to claim a "victory" over his perceived foes.
You know, sometimes I think the Bill of Rights (Which is what that Amendment comes from, yes?) gets in the way of progress and sometimes hinders safety. I mean, you can legally bear arms, and this is from a country that has one of the highest records for gun violence...

I mean, shouldn't some things be restricted. I don't mean outrageous censorship like we have here in Australia. That's completely self-defeating. But shouldn't there be some policy against selling games rated at a certain age to under that age?