Updated: Microsoft Currently Trying to Track and Identify Xbox One Info Leaker

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Updated: Microsoft Currently Trying to Track and Identify Xbox One Info Leaker

Microsoft executives are said to be looking to take legal action against the NeoGAF user who leaked the company's alleged Xbox One plans.

Just in case you didn't know, Microsoft's Xbox One plans for the foreseeable future has allegedly been leaked by a "mod-verified" NeoGAF user named "ntkrnl." Among the leaks was a Over on Kotaku [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131811-Rumor-Titanfall-Limited-Edition-399-Disc-Free-Xbox-Ones-Coming-Soon], a "reliable source" has been able to confirm that ntkrnl is indeed "connected" to Microsoft, though that doesn't mean every info that got leaked is real. Another person who's "familiar with the situation" who spoke under the condition of anonymity has also surfaced, and states Microsoft is currently trying to track and identify the forum poster. This same unnamed source also mentions that Microsoft executives are seeking to take legal action against ntkrnl.

Also of note, one of the things revealed yesterday was the Titanfall Limited Edition Xbox One, which two industry sources have confirmed to Kotaku to be real; although it's mentioned the leaked console packaging and unit image is not 100% accurate. NeoGAF poster Pete Dodd, who instigated the "PS4NoDRM" movement on Twitter, and has leaked industry info himself, claims he heard the Titanfall bundle was cancelled [https://twitter.com/atPeteDodd/status/428982417680912384], with cost being the major factor.

When we asked Microsoft for a statement regarding the leaks, we got the now-standard "we don't comment or rumors" line, which almost every company uses these days. Thankfully, other people are willing to talk on the leaks' developments, so we have an idea what's happening behind the scenes.

Out of the info posted online, which ones do you think will come true? And should Microsoft take legal action against the leaker or has ntkrnl helped Microsoft promote the Xbox One by revealing the host of titles coming to the console?

Updated: Adding more fuel to the speculation fire, VG247 reports that a "well-respected" senior publisher has told them that a new Xbox One model will indeed be released this year. The source could not comment on whether the system will have a disc drive but they did say it will be priced lower than the current $499 model.

Source: VG247 [https://twitter.com/atPeteDodd/status/428982417680912384]

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Microsoft trying to sue a guy for something that will come out anyway is laughable
Thats not laughable, sounds pretty reasonable actually. If you are privy to information not available to the public and are bound by contracts/agreements to not release the information, regardless of it coming out in the future or not doesn't matter, you cannot release that information.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Huh. I thought the leak turned out rather well for them. A lot of people seemed quite hyped (myself included) for some of the stuff that was "announced". I suppose if it's something they had big plans for revealing, like at E3, then I can understand why they'd be annoyed, but you'd think they'd take any positivity they could get at the moment.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Microsoft trying to sue a guy for something that will come out anyway is laughable and only makes those rumors more believable and makes Microsoft that much more of a joke in the process. You can't dispel rumors by acting suspicious.
Someone with NDAs with Microsoft broke them. It's hardly laughable for someone to get in trouble for intentionally doing something illegal.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Microsoft should look at it this way;

This person leaking this information is a good way to poll consumer interest in their plans, at a stage where it is most likely possible to revert or alter some of the stuff.

On the other hand, it gives the competition a little bit of an edge...

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
What's the big deal? They were going to release the information anyway, what difference does it make if it's released a couple of weeks early?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
bluegate said:
Microsoft should look at it this way;

This person leaking this information is a good way to poll consumer interest in their plans, at a stage where it is most likely possible to revert or alter some of the stuff.
No, they should look at it this way:

This person leaked trade secrets of our company. At the very least, it circumvented and sabotaged a very expensive marketing plan. Next time, they might do even more damage. We should identify this employee and determine the appropriate course of disciplinary action, whether it's probation, termination and/or criminal prosecution. If we don't, the next time an employee violates our confidentiality (and does real damage) they would be able to rightfully point out that we didn't pursue the last person that did and then they have the foundation for a civil case that we're selectively discriminating against them.

ntkrnl made a bonehead decision. And now he has a choice to make: he can either admit his mistake and hope that his honesty moderates Microsoft's response; or he can keep his head down and hope this blows over... although if he does get found out, it'll go doubly bad for him, since trying to hide your screwup is always viewed more harshly than manning up.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Mortuorum said:

This person leaked trade secrets of our company. At the very least, it circumvented and sabotaged a very expensive marketing plan. Next time, they might do even more damage. We should identify this employee and determine the appropriate course of disciplinary action, whether it's probation, termination and/or criminal prosecution. If we don't, the next time an employee violates our confidentiality (and does real damage) they would be able to rightfully point out that we didn't pursue the last person that did and then they have the foundation for a civil case that we're selectively discriminating against them.

ntkrnl made a bonehead decision. And now he has a choice to make: he can either admit his mistake and hope that his honesty moderates Microsoft's response; or he can keep his head down and hope this blows over... although if he does get found out, it'll go doubly bad for him, since trying to hide your screwup is always viewed more harshly than manning up.
But, you got the fact that my post was meant as a lighthearted joke, right?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
bluegate said:
Mortuorum said:

This is the internet, humour and sarcasm never translates well via text.

To be honest I thought you were being completely serious as well. The last sentence especially doesn't help.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
bluegate said:
Uh, nope. As Ed130 intuited, I thought you were dead serious. And, even if you weren't, enough posters stated essentially the same sentiments (and I can't imagine that they were all joking) that I still stand by my point.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Mortuorum said:
bluegate said:
Uh, nope. As Ed130 intuited, I thought you were dead serious. And, even if you weren't, enough posters stated essentially the same sentiments (and I can't imagine that they were all joking) that I still stand by my point.
Please don't misunderstand; me telling you it was meant as a joke wasn't an attempt to make you change your point, I was just trying to make things clear, as you explicitly quoted my post.

On a serious note, I would have to agree with the things you wrote. I personally enjoy getting new information about stuff, leaked or not, but I fully understand that a person leaking information is a serious problem for a company.

Ed130 said:
This is the internet, humour and sarcasm never translates well via text.

To be honest I thought you were being completely serious as well. The last sentence especially doesn't help.
Hehe, yeah, at times, that attribute makes reading comments on the internet all the more fun though.

The last sentence doesn't help, you say, curious, personally I thought it would nudge the tone a bit into the direction of non-seriousville. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
Jim Sterling commented on the topic of industry secrecy months ago, but it's still quite relevant.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8371-Cloak-and-Dagger

Thank God for him.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
"We're not confirming any of these rumors, but we are looking to track down and sue the guy that started spreading them."

Yeah, Microsoft doesn't comment on rumors. They prefer to just take action, I suppose.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Yeah, good luck with that. Do you know how easy it is to vanish on the internet?

And do you seriously think someone would leak something like this without ensuring their bases were covered trace-wise?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
If you're going to cut something for cost, cut the Kinect. The drive is only about $15, if that, especially since they went with a cheap-ass one not designed for vertical orientation.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well already another model coming this year? One hopes that it is the fabled Kinect-less model, but something's telling me it's gonna end up being the Titan Fall one. Especially since most of the rumors that were about the Xbox One before it's reveal and launch ended up being correct...

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Mortuorum said:
It's hardly manning up to volunteer for criminal prosecution. I say good luck to them, if they were careful enough, there's a very real chance they'll escape with no punishment.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
MS seeking this person does lend some credibility to the claims, I think. While I understand that NDAs were broken I feel that MS should use this to their advantage. It is perfect. You let someone slip some information that can't be confirmed or disproven and see how the internet likes it. If it gets a positive reception MS would go ahead with their plans and if it was received negatively then it was just a rumor some guy started. However, with MS' recent track record I would be surprised if they were able to find the guy, let alone employ a marketing tactic this advanced...