Uproar Over Dark Athena DRM Limits

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
FUCK! I wanted to try this game, it looked good and unique, and they gotta go fuck it up with DRM... Guess I won't be buying this game after all, I MAY pirate it just to avoid DRM BS, but I honestly don't wanna go through the effort.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Royas said:
TsunamiWombat said:
This is a shame cause this is a badass game and you should all play it, Srsly.

Also, read the statement. Is says there are unlimited installs. The issue is you can only activate it on 3 machines.

PS: I got it for xbox the day it came out, sucks to be you PC gamers
I could buy it for one of my consoles also, I just refuse to give any money to a company that treats me like a criminal. I just don't see any sense in that. I'm tired of publishers using DRM that never works to do anything except annoy their customers. It's enough to encourage a person to turn pirate, just to spite them.
It's sad, cause... it's awesome D:

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Royas said:
TsunamiWombat said:
This is a shame cause this is a badass game and you should all play it, Srsly.

Also, read the statement. Is says there are unlimited installs. The issue is you can only activate it on 3 machines.

PS: I got it for xbox the day it came out, sucks to be you PC gamers
I could buy it for one of my consoles also, I just refuse to give any money to a company that treats me like a criminal. I just don't see any sense in that. I'm tired of publishers using DRM that never works to do anything except annoy their customers. It's enough to encourage a person to turn pirate, just to spite them.
It's sad, cause... it's awesome D:
Precisely why I'm so depressed. The original is one of my all-time favorite games, I figured this for a must-buy. Now it's a won't-buy. Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

rohit9891

Jan 21, 2009
There is no use trying to put DRMs with games.It'll eventually be cracked by someone.
I'd say they rather go without any such crap DRMs...atleast that way we'll be able to enjoy the game better & I think that will increase the sales more.

Jul 9, 2008
Haven't they learned anything from Valve? Release quality games and treat your customers with respect, and your games won't get pirated nearly as much. Seriously, I have a friend who pirates pretty much every game just to say he did, and even he won't pirate Valve games, he likes them that much.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
orannis62 said:
Haven't they learned anything from Valve? Release quality games and treat your customers with respect, and your games won't get pirated nearly as much. Seriously, I have a friend who pirates pretty much every game just to say he did, and even he won't pirate Valve games, he likes them that much.
What?!?!?

Respect?!?!?!?

You mean like treating us like we're people!??!?!

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
x% of the people playing your game are playing from copies they illegally downloaded off the internet.

(100-x)% of the people playing your game are honest, upstanding citizens who paid good money for your game, in spite of the fact that they could trivially have obtained a copy without laying out a single penny.

-1000 customer appreciation points.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
At first glance it seems that anti-DRM activity is due to pirates with a hidden agenda.

But once you think about it, that makes no sense at all. Because pirates have -no problem at all- with DRM, heck, I bet the crackers have FUN with it (maybe even a whole 'rep' system with who pirates it first).

So really, DRM hurts -no one- except legitimate buyers. Not even the crackers.

That's just sad (for innocents)

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
It's really sad to see it go this way. I've been looking forward to it for a few years now, but I honestly can't contribute to a DRM system as archaic as being able to install it on three systems. I've had 5 computers in the last 15 years. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to install the game on each new computer I get. I paid for it once, I shouldn't have to pay for it again as long as it doesn't get damaged due to my negligence. I really wanted to pay for it, because Escape From Buther's Bay was an amazing game, and I'd like to support the series. But really, allowing a game company to rape me doesn't sound like good business practice. And honestly, only allowing it to be installed on three computers? Piracy doesn't come from a friend letting a few friends borrow his game. Piracy comes from people hacking any DRM on a game and distributing it to hundreds of thousands of people on-line, and you can't stop that. All they're doing is wiggling their dicks on the faces of the fans who actually paid for the game. I'm not getting it for xbox, due to their fubar on the pc version, I'm not torrenting due to their fubar on the DRM, and I may buy it if they completely do away with this install limitation and just put a cd key in it. I'd rather have it for PC anyway.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Malygris said:
Word is out that the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena [http://www.riddickgame.com/] is packing DRM with an irrevocable limit of three installations, leading to predictable outbursts of gamer rage and one-star review scores on Amazon.
You know, I resent that. People giving terrible (or good) reviews not for the game, but for either the people that made or published them.

I really think that if they didn't mention that DRM put a limit on their games, no one would have noticed (Well, except for the people that they designed it to combat against, anyway).

Not that DRM is a good thing at all. *sigh* EA, why do you never learn?

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Malygris said:
"The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine. The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you don't change any major hardware in your PC or re-install your operating system."

"If you reach the maximum number of installations you can contact the Atari hotline and if it's a legitimate request you can get a new activation code. We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy."
I tend to format my PC about two times a year (for those amazed: once you get the hang of it, it's a not a big deal but rather a standard procedure). If I would install the game each time, I wouldn't be able to play the game a fourth time, except if I dial the hotline. Needless to say, this is a bit of a nuisance, having to keep track of how many times you can install your games, making sure you remember where you bought it, perhaps even keep the receipt for several years. And then you still need to be lucky that your case is legitimate.

To be honest, I wasn't planning on playing this game, but I am *ahum*, playing it even less now!

mawirag

Apr 10, 2009
Malygris said:
Uproar Over Dark Athena DRM Limits

"If you reach the maximum number of installations you can contact the Atari hotline and if it's a legitimate request you can get a new activation code. We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy."

Thats rich!!! There is NO Atari hotline on their website. All they have is their email address for tech support which is conveniently hard to find. And to make matters worse you recieve a message saying it will take them 7 days to send a reply!! Hotline my a**!!!

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Bleah. Oh well, I'm gonna just pick up a used copy of Escape from Butcher Bay for almost nothing. And if I ever wanna play THIS game, well... There is one way to get a 100% DRM/Malware/Spyware-free version of the game. You know, good old high-seas piracy.

Like everyone else said, this move isn't going to exactly discourage piracy.

Remember kids, fighting pirates never works. After all, they have beards and muskets and cannons. How can you argue with that?

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Malygris said:
"We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy."
Might this mean that using such DRM is only to protect the (genuinely vital) first month of a games shelflife before they remove it? I doubt it but would be nice.
They'll probably be using SecuRom for it and trying to get that off your computer is nigh on impossible without reinstalling your OS.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I was going to buy this for my PS3 today. Good thing I came to read the news before I went to amazon. I know theres no DRM on the Cconsol copies, but under general principal, I'm not going to buy it now. That makes 3 games this week I've abandoned because of DRM or dumb DLC rules.....

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Wow, I was considering buying it. No way I'm going support a company that makes you Rent their game.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Galaxy613 said:
Wow, I was considering buying it. No way I'm going support a company that makes you Rent their game.
Ding ding ding.

EA ain't getting my money. I've put them on the "Asshole Idiots" list, right under Valve.