US Army Tests Super Strong Exoskeleton

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
FieryTrainwreck said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
Ya, I really don't see how this could be really useful in combat. What happens if the soldier gets shot in a joint?
What do you think happens to a soldier shot in the joint without an exoskeleton?

Well he would fall and crawl to cover, or be helped by his squad mates. I was thinking that if he gets shot in the joint the hydraulics fail and don't move at all, killing mobility.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010

I suppose the only question that comes to mind, how does this stand against electronic warfare?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
So I guess we can start saying that the future of super soldiers is now? I mean, we got this, Kevlar [http://www2.dupont.com/Kevlar/en_US/], Powerbocks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerbocking], the closest thing to a lightsaber [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101448-The-Closest-Thing-To-a-Lightsaber-Now-For-Sale], and whatever new weaponry the militaries of the world have under their sleeves. Put them all together and you've got a pre-space-age super soldier.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
They'll combine this thing's weight reduction with armour plating sooner or later, I know it.
Wouldn't be "Iron Man", but it would be very annoying to try and shoot, I bet.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Cool idea but why the crap do we need it? It's not like anybody we're fighting is even remotely close to use technologically.

And surprisingly I thought I'd be the last person to be speaking out against futuristic military weaponry but given the state of the economy and how much we spend on the military...

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
jonnosferatu said:
It's a nice step, but I can't help but feel as though just taking some time to revamp the army physical fitness programs to the point that soldiers are able to carry the loads themselves would be the first step here.
Uh, they can carry plenty on their own. This is so they can carry MORE, and its easier. If a soldier is over encumbered, he is not combat effective. With this, he can carry a tremendous amount of weight, and still be ready to go.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Khaiseri said:
Am I the only one who is against all of these things made by the military? Yes, I can see it's uses for other things rather than the military, but that's the thing, it's prime use will be for that: soldiers.
All the technology we have right now is because of the military.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
jonnosferatu said:
It's a nice step, but I can't help but feel as though just taking some time to revamp the army physical fitness programs to the point that soldiers are able to carry the loads themselves would be the first step here.
I would like to point out that an average soilder carries around 170 pounds of stuff on them, ALL DAY. And every year there is new "necessary" equipment. I would like to see anyone on the escapist carry that much under combat condtitions (except the people in the armed forces, they dont need to prove anything). Besides if armor suits save the lives of our troops thats worth the money to me.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
The Lost Big Boss said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
Ya, I really don't see how this could be really useful in combat. What happens if the soldier gets shot in a joint?
What do you think happens to a soldier shot in the joint without an exoskeleton?

Well he would fall and crawl to cover, or be helped by his squad mates. I was thinking that if he gets shot in the joint the hydraulics fail and don't move at all, killing mobility.
You can shed an exoskeleton, right? Seems a lot easier than shaking off a gunshot wound to the knee.

Razavn

Jun 2, 2009
Hmm..I saw part of this segment on Futureweapons and it seems to be primarily used to allow soldiers to carry more firepower without retricting mobility due to weight concerns...

I believe they mentioned examples of 1 man carrying all the equipment for a mortar team and stuff like that...

I can see how this can be useful but it may cause issues until all the kinks are worked out.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Therumancer said:
Yeah, any kind of robocop or Crysis exoskeleton would just simply be to impratical/expensive if not out right impossible at the moment. We need more nimble troops more able in CQC for urban warfare, our tanks can take care of the desert warfare when the need arises. However, the HULC could indirectly make our troops more armed as exoskeletons are suppose to. Being able to put pretty much all the wieght of gear and extra ammo on the HULC, and since that could be thrown off at the drop of the hat, more body armor could be put on a soldier while still having well over a hundred pounds less our boys don't have to carry directly.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
CORRODED SIN said:
Khaiseri said:
Am I the only one who is against all of these things made by the military? Yes, I can see it's uses for other things rather than the military, but that's the thing, it's prime use will be for that: soldiers.
All the technology we have right now is because of the military.
And I am conscious of that. But what I'm against is that these companies are wasting a whole lot of money for making more ways on to how to kill people while getting a whole lot more richer than rather help the civilians. That is what has been bothering me about these military projects.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Trust a guy that had to carry a fully loaded ruck sack (the old school shitty kind w/o chest strap) for a full 13kms, this is a big frackin' deal.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
FieryTrainwreck said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
The Lost Big Boss said:

You can shed an exoskeleton, right? Seems a lot easier than shaking off a gunshot wound to the knee.
From the looks of the video it takes time to get the armor on, taking it off during a fire fight is a whole new game. What I am saying is during a battle, lets say a soldier is running to cover with the suit, then the suit gets shot. The suit may start to fuck up from getting shot, and it stops reading the persons movements and starts not using the hydraulics right. Now the soldier can't move for shit because he is caring 90+ pounds of crap on his back, plus the added 55 pounds of metal all around his body that now fails to bend. He now falls over and can't move and is now a turret from half life that got knocked sideways.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
See, you Americans are playing with all the cooler suits of war stuffs. What are Brits doing? Creating armour out of custard. Fear the Trifle warriors.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Furburt said:
Ah yes, I forgot it was the future now.
I know! It's crazy! We have exoskeletons!

I'm still holding out hope for some crazy robo-prosthetics. I want cyborg eyes!

Frog_Girl

Jun 12, 2009
Khaiseri said:
Why do you have an issue with the military producing thing for the men and women fighting in a war. Reguardless on how you feel about the war, don't you think these people should be equiped with the best technology they can get to do their job? I'm not trying to belittle you I'm just trying to understand why this is an issue.