US Champ Talks Super Street Fighter IV

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
US Champ Talks Super Street Fighter IV

America's top Street Fighter IV player has shards his thoughts about the new additions coming in the imminent update.

Justin Wong, the best Street Fighter IV player in the US, spoke with IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1038350p1.html] about his thoughts on the new additions to the SFIV roster. Talking at the 'Fight Club' organized by Capcom in New York yesterday, he weighed in on returning fighter Dee Jay, as well as the brand new Juri, and answered a few questions about Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Super Smash Brothers.

"She's very unique," he said about new Korean fighter Juri, "she's not like any other Street Fighter character that Capcom has ever made ... She has a lot more tricks. She has a purple aura with her moves. She's a fast character but with low life because she's so fast. But other than that I feel like she's a character with a lot of tricks and has one of the prettiest ultras in the game."

Justin also got a chance to play as Dee Jay, and felt that he was a better fit in Street Fighter IV than he had been in Street Fighter II: "When he was first released in Super Street Fighter, I didn't like him. But when Street Fighter IV came out, I thought if Dee Jay was in the game he would be a good Street Fighter IV character because the style he had in the other game was as a Street Fighter IV character."

Justin also played Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, but while he likes the game, he was unsure that it would ever be a hit on the tournament circuit: "Wii systems are not very tournament-worthy unless it's for Super Smash Bros ...I don't like Super Smash Bros. at all ... Smash Bros. is more like a family game."

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I like Smash Bros., but it'd be even better if they didn't let Sakurai anywhere near the series if they decide to continue it.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
vampirekid.13 said:
everything he said is voided because he said SSB is a family game.
Everything YOU say is voided because you go against the TOP SF4 player IN THE WORLD. If anything you should be bowing down and kissing Justin Wong's feet, because in all actuality you will NEVER be as awesome as he is.

(I also agree with what he said about SSB, even though i am a fan.)

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
SSBB is a party game. Sakurai himself even said that when developing it, he thought of it as a party game, not a fighting game.

If you put the fighting games in the world into "schools" Brawl is kindergarten level. Dead or Alive is elementary school, Street Fighter is high school, Tekken is university.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
nilcypher said:
America's top Street Fighter IV player has shares his thoughts about the new additions coming in the imminent update.
'Has shares his...'?

I'm not much for Street Fighter, but new games and updates are always interesting.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
ToonLink said:
vampirekid.13 said:
Everything YOU say is voided because you go against the TOP SF4 player IN THE WORLD. If anything you should be bowing down and kissing Justin Wong's feet, because in all actuality you will NEVER be as awesome as he is.
And we're supposed to be impressed? As far as I know, his opinion isn't better than ours, champ or not. By the way, he's the US champion, not world champion.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
ToonLink said:
vampirekid.13 said:

Idolizing a guy who is good at one game... wtf? He's better than other people because of that? ...really now?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Champ? At what, having no life?

Alright, that was a low blow. Still, if I was the "champ" at any kind of video game, I don't think I'd let everyone know my name. I'd go under a superhero name like, "Nintendo Boy!".

ToonLink said:
vampirekid.13 said:

I'm pretty bitchin' at Flicky, but I don't expect you to make a statue of me do I?

[small]I'll expect that when I rule over the world though, preferably made of diamond.[/small]

Also, I don't think he's best in the world. Just the US. Otherwise I'm fairly certain Nil would have said "World Champ".

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I saw his match against Daigo.. Man, Daigo got his ass whooped.

Sparrow said:

Alright, that was a low blow. Still, if I was the "champ" at any kind of video game, I don't think I'd let everyone know my name. I'd go under a superhero name like, "Nintendo Boy!".
I'd do the exact same thing. :/

G-Mang

May 11, 2009
I'd call SSB more of a party game than a family game, but I guess those can be equivalent in some people's books. The fact of the matter is that the game has horrible character balance at high level play. Plus, it's filled with random elements that are only fun for people who enjoy it for novelty or spectacle instead of depth or challenge.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Nincompoop said:
nilcypher said:
America's top Street Fighter IV player has shares his thoughts about the new additions coming in the imminent update.
'Has shares his...'?

I'm not much for Street Fighter, but new games and updates are always interesting.
Fortunately, they've since corrected it to say "has shards his."

OT: That's nice. I can see myself punching this guy in the face if I ever met him.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
ohgodalex said:
Nincompoop said:
nilcypher said:
'Has shares his...'?

Fortunately, they've since corrected it to say "has shards his."
Utter and complete failure, if I do say so myself.

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
Sparrow said:

The guy earns a fair bit money doing something he enjoys, where's the shame in that? Tournament play is really popular in Japan and quite popular throughout the rest of the world.

You should see the Koreans with their Starcraft.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Dudeakoff said:
Sparrow said:

The guy earns a fair bit money doing something he enjoys, where's the shame in that? Tournament play is really popular in Japan and quite popular throughout the rest of the world.

You should see the Koreans with their Starcraft.
Because people like me make fun of him, becuase he most likely has near to no life.

[small]And plus, what if his girlfriend google'd him or something? That's not exactly going to be a turn on is it?[/small]

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Quadtrix said:
I like Smash Bros., but it'd be even better if they didn't let Sakurai anywhere near the series if they decide to continue it.
Why would you not let the creator of the series continue to work on it.

On topic.
What he said about SSB series in false and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom in tournament worthy (even though I hate tournaments)

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
ToonLink said:
vampirekid.13 said:

Pretty sure that Daigo's at the top, or maybe Iyo. Anyways I saw her Ultra and I think it looks cool, but it would get incredibly annoying if you're trying to finish her hard trials.

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
ae86gamer said:
I saw his match against Daigo.. Man, Daigo got his ass whooped.

Sparrow said:

I'd do the exact same thing. :/
Umm...is that a typo? Because I watched the evo tourny finals and Daigo won the match. and calling it a match seems pretty generous, because frankly...it was a slaughter.