US Gov't Won't Pay for MegaUpload's 25 Million Gigabytes

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
Robert Ewing said:
Well, Megaupload wasn't on any American servers, the owners weren't American. It had very little to do with America is my point, but they were the ones that world policed the fuck out of them, and took it down. I think they should pick up the relatively small slack on protecting the legal files uploaded to be honest.
Really, when it comes to cybercrime, American police are the only police. Not many other countries are willing to devote resources to catching criminals they're barely aware of.
look at japan for another they arrest alot of people for uploading one piece

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
It's like someone was telling me before.

If the Government was able to do this already, why did they even need SOPA?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ALL OF THIS could have been avoided if they just went through official channels before the seizure. They should have sent a court order to the owner of MegaUpload to delete the illegal data. It would save them ALL a lot of time and money. But no, America has to stick it's violent neanderthal dick in everybody's business without thinking things through. They think they can fix everything with violence and display of power. That never works. Which they should know because they've been doing it for years without any results.
You know, Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Which is exactly what American government is doing. That's what happens when a bunch of old men with 2 digit IQ's are running the entire country. How fuckin' sad and terrifying is that?

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Lugbzurg said:
It's like someone was telling me before.

If the Government was able to do this already, why did they even need SOPA?

SOPA would be closer to E-RAPE rather than just shitting on a website, Sure glad they haven't noticed the several other hosting websites I use.

God the government are dumb.

Jun 16, 2010
Gamegodtre said:
James Joseph Emerald said:
Robert Ewing said:
Well, Megaupload wasn't on any American servers, the owners weren't American. It had very little to do with America is my point, but they were the ones that world policed the fuck out of them, and took it down. I think they should pick up the relatively small slack on protecting the legal files uploaded to be honest.
Really, when it comes to cybercrime, American police are the only police. Not many other countries are willing to devote resources to catching criminals they're barely aware of.
look at japan for another they arrest alot of people for uploading one piece
Germany too. But Cybercrime is international by nature, and as such there needs to be an international police presence to deal with it effectively. The FBI undoubtedly have the most experience, so I don't see the problem with them taking the lead. It's a different circumstance than the "America: World Police" mentality of military invasions done "for their own good."

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Sounds like the government "Oh we shut them down. We're not sure why and don't have the time to actually get evidence, but we shut them down cause we can." Trust your government folks, they know what's best.
Sarge034 said:
Kalezian said:
Actually, Im sure that it is illegal to force a company to lose money while citing legal issues such as evidence in the United States when it comes down to it.
The government is not responsible for any losses incurred by the company if the company was informed it was involved in an illegal act and failed to stop. If we are to believe the article that is what happened.

If I was in charge of Carpathia I would give an ultimatum: You want your fucking evidence? you help keep it online or we will use OUR fucking servers how we see fit.
You enjoy your counts of "obstruction of justice" in a federal case (making them felonies).

>18 USC § 1509 - Obstruction of court orders

Whoever, by threats or force, willfully prevents, obstructs, impedes, or interferes with, or willfully attempts to prevent, obstruct, impede, or interfere with, the due exercise of rights or the performance of duties under any order, judgment, or decree of a court of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both

>18 USC § 1519 - Destruction, alteration, or falsification of records in Federal investigations and bankruptcy

Whoever knowingly alters, destroys, mutilates, conceals, covers up, falsifies, or makes a false entry in any record, document, or tangible object with the intent to impede, obstruct, or influence the investigation or proper administration of any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States or any case filed under title 11, or in relation to or contemplation of any such matter or case, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.

Yea, you would get up to 21 years in a federal penitentiary and/or whatever the combined fines would be. Still think that is a good move?

America might try to be the big brother of the rest of the world, but it has a hard on for businesses being affected by 'Big Government'.
First, Carpathia is an American business. Second, only when the businesses are doing something illegal.
I'm guessing you would vote yes to SOPA, ACTA, and that nice part of the NDAA that allowed for indefinite detainment of US citizens without cause or charge. I find your post especially amusing since the prosecutor himself said they don't have the time to substantiate the infringement claims, they're just assuming they're all true and everyone else can go f themselves.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
is willingly holding illegal content a crime? If yes, megaupload are criminals. Even if they did host legal stuff, they would still be criminals. Am I saying I am any better? No! However as a business you need to keep legal all the time, Look at YouTube. There is a lot of copywrited material on it. However they try to limit it as much as possible.

Piracy is a crime, as much as I love free stuff. People need to be payed. Which is why the US Government should pay for the servers.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
isn't this kind of like storing the critical evidence in the house of the theif?

probably the best bet for the server host is to power down the farm and at least reduce the cost, might be worth pulling the slides and just storing them so the data is still there just not easily accessible.

its not obstruction as it would be comparatively easy to access any one slide, and they don't know when the data will be cleared or released

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
ALL OF THIS could have been avoided if they just went through official channels before the seizure. They should have sent a court order to the owner of MegaUpload to delete the illegal data. It would save them ALL a lot of time and money. But no, America has to stick it's violent neanderthal dick in everybody's business without thinking things through. They think they can fix everything with violence and display of power. That never works. Which they should know because they've been doing it for years without any results.
You know, Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Which is exactly what American government is doing. That's what happens when a bunch of old men with 2 digit IQ's are running the entire country. How fuckin' sad and terrifying is that?
The thing is, MegaUpload DID delete illegal content, it's just that they didn't have huge numbers of people working for them so they couldn't delete it all.

It's like arresting the owners of a storage facility because someone has something illegal in one of the lockers, oh right, that doesn't happen because it's fucking stupid to arrest someone for someone else's crimes.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
So, translation: The Feds shot their wad off too soon as they have many times before. Read about Waco and other ATF and FBI blunders. The list isn't short.
If there is someone that should be footing the bill, it would be those making the larger complaints that lead to the takedown of MU: the MPAA and RIAA. They can afford it.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Sylveria said:
I'm guessing you would vote yes to SOPA,
The only problem I had with SOPA was the ability for private businesses to block anything they wanted. I can say this confidently because I read the legislation, did you? So to answer the question I would vote no unless that section was omitted and then I would vote yes.

The only thing I know about ACTA is that it allows for easier prosecution of copyright law violators in friendly countries. I am ok with this.

and that nice part of the NDAA that allowed for indefinite detainment of US citizens without cause or charge.
Depends on the situation, but not in most cases.

I find your post especially amusing since the prosecutor himself said they don't have the time to substantiate the infringement claims, they're just assuming they're all true and everyone else can go f themselves.
No, the prosecutor said they don't have time to sift through the files to find the individual infringers. And yes this is basically a case of "we told you to stop this shit and you didn't. Now you can deal with the financial fallout of our investigation." And I'm ok with this.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
Sylveria said:
I'm guessing you would vote yes to SOPA, ACTA, and that nice part of the NDAA that allowed for indefinite detainment of US citizens without cause or charge. I find your post especially amusing since the prosecutor himself said they don't have the time to substantiate the infringement claims, they're just assuming they're all true and everyone else can go f themselves.
Baseless conjectures made about someone who challenged the notion of breaking the law.
Classy dude, really classy.

"He knows the law! Therefore he must support SOPA", nice.

No, as of right now, they are held under court, any messing with the data IS obstruction of justice and tampering with evidence. The government would LOVE for them to do something drastic to make them look like criminals and get the world on their side.
Until the government goes, "yeah, we fucked up" and backs down, that will be the case. And they will go, "yeah, we fucked up" and back down. The backlash would be immense otherwise.
For now they just have to take the injustice, display their indignation, appeal to the government, and the law, and wait for it to stop. When it comes to the government you have to play by the rules, even if they don't. Especially when they don't, because that's when you get to hurt them and set precedence. This will actually help set the standard for seizing data cracking on piracy web sites.

Before you go insulting people for knowing the law, make sure your own affairs are in order.
I like you, you actually think these things through. I am conservative by nature, so people assume that I liked the Patriot Act. But the Patriot Act is probably the worst violation of the US constitution to date (though some states are working on worse laws, they are bad for different reasons). Though I still know what is in the law, because I am paranoid by nature, as well. So I knew what that senator just found out.

OT: can anyone really comprehend the true vastness of the data we are talking about. 330 some odd years of video!!! It would take a about 1000 people watching for 3 months strait, not mention the support personnel too care for that army.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
The US government has no right to say how they can use their servers, the company should just repurpose them if their not in the US then they aren't under US law nor can the US court tell them what to do. If the US has an issue with it, their government can remind them where their boarders lay.

Krion_Vark said:
Carpathia is an American company which drops all of their assets under the American government. So no they didn't world police them. Carpathias data centers if you go to their site is Ashburn, Virginia; Dulles, Virginia; Harrissonburg, Virginia; Pheonix, Arizona; Los Angeles, California; Toronto, Canada and Amsterdam, Netherlands(This one is only available for people/companies in Europe however).
So yeah they were on American servers.
If thats the case then ignore the above comment as yes they would have jurisdiction.
However the government still should foot the bill as their basically holding the servers in limbo.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
About a month before Megaupload went down a guy I was working with on a movie suggested we used the site to transfer and keep various versions and files for the edit. I strongly disagreed considering how much illegal stuff they host. His pretty rational argument at the time was since we owned the copyright to our stuff we should be safe.
Man oh man am I glad I put my foot down on that one.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Dexter111 said:
You are probably one of my favorite posters. So informative.

This entire thing has been weird to me because I would think that Google would be no less in danger. Or any other file hosting service.

If the crime is making it possible to access stolen files or storing them in any manner online there are plenty of cache services that should be getting sued.

I dunno, it seems loose. Intellectual Property laws have gotten out of hand and really its just a bunch of trolls running around. The actual content creators are seeing jack from this entire affair.

Kalezian said:
Actually, Im sure that it is illegal to force a company to lose money while citing legal issues such as evidence in the United States when it comes down to it.

If I was in charge of Carpathia I would give an ultimatum: You want your fucking evidence? you help keep it online or we will use OUR fucking servers how we see fit.

America might try to be the big brother of the rest of the world, but it has a hard on for businesses being affected by 'Big Government'.

Just watch, this close to election season you might see this come up.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure this must be illegal.

It reads like this.

US: "You are doing something illegal."
MU: "Prove it?"
US: "No. Now we take all your stuff."
MU: "Dafuq?"
US: "Now your host must pay while we prove you did something illegal."
MU: "Aren't you supposed to prove the crime first before punishing folks?"
US: "9/11! You wouldn't download a car! The end!"