US lawmakers introduce bill to ban TikTok

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Im not saying that guy is not credible, but in the second paragraph he claimed bpd and bipolar were "conditions not typically seen in the teen demographic".

(Those conditions are mostly noticed and diagnosed in the teen years.)

Reactions: Gatuno

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Im not saying that guy is not credible, but in the second paragraph he claimed bpd and bipolar were "conditions not typically seen in the teen demographic".

(Those conditions are mostly noticed and diagnosed in the teen years.)
Bipolar and Borderline Personality disorder mostly being discovered in the teen years does not mean that most teens are diagnosed with either disorder.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Tiktok also spread a lot of COVID conspiracies uncritically. Alongside the other website social medias. Which are shared here. By you.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bipolar and Borderline Personality disorder mostly being discovered in the teen years does not mean that most teens are diagnosed with either disorder.
...? Obviously, but that's not what "not typically seen" means.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Go back to English classes, you're not done.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
So enlighten me as to what “conditions not typically seen in the teen demographic” means.
More typically seen in a different demographic. If someone said heart attacks are not typically seen in the teen demographic you would assume they are more typically seen in a different demographic (which they are), but the vast majority of people of any demographic don't have heart attacks.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I don't care what they ban as long as it's not Wechat or Tik Tok. I have already had to replace a phone because of this nonsense.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So enlighten me as to what “conditions not typically seen in the teen demographic” means.
It means that those who exhibit BPD or bipolar disorder are typically not teenagers-- which we know to be untrue.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It means that those who exhibit BPD or bipolar disorder are typically not teenagers-- which we know to be untrue.
I mean, the way you just phrased that, it is true. It being a lifelong disorder, there are tremendously more adults with it than teens. Say something about age of diagnosis instead.

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
I'd be very surprised if they actually do ban any social platform... While TikTok and Insta are very damaging for the mental health of youngsters all over the world, posting such content is not a "crime", so they must build a very strong case (legal-framework-wise) to ban TikTok in particular.

I'm rooting for that with both hands though!

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Everyone hates TikTok (which is fair since it seems to turn adult brains into syrup) and yet it is popular enough to ban. Do people argue on it like they do on Twitter? That's the only reason people are on Twitter, right?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, the way you just phrased that, it is true. It being a lifelong disorder, there are tremendously more adults with it than teens. Say something about age of diagnosis instead.
Hmm, I suppose you're right, if we're talking absolute numbers. Quite possibly not if we're adjusting for the proportion of the population comprised of each age group-- which I'd argue is implied as soon as someone uses a term like "typical". But you're right, I didn't phrase that well.

Everyone hates TikTok (which is fair since it seems to turn adult brains into syrup) and yet it is popular enough to ban. Do people argue on it like they do on Twitter? That's the only reason people are on Twitter, right?
I'm on Twitter for the sole purpose of digging up dirt on people, I'll have you know.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Its video shorts made by the youngest demographic which makes it the world cultural zeitgeist. The youth determine culture or at least the most dynamic part of it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Its video shorts made by the youngest demographic which makes it the world cultural zeitgeist. The youth determine culture or at least the most dynamic part of it.
Tiny babies? Tired of accidentally discharging firearms, toddlers moving into video production?

It is likely a sign of my age, then, that when people describe the things they've seen on there I am completely devoid of interest. And that is not to say that I think young people have nothing of value or interest to say (very much not the case), only that the ones on TikTok sound like simpletons who do things like fill toilets with sweets (rather than, for example, poo), for the laughs.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I can't help but feel like this is just a case of "old man yell at cloud", I don't use it, but isn't it just a bunch of short video? Why ban that and not youtube or "insert other video based social media platform"? It just feel like because it wasn't made in the US they want to ban it. I've heard it collect personal information, but again, hows that any different than any other social media platform?

As far as it being bad for teenager, being a teenager is bad for teenager. They'll always find some way to make their life terrible, that's literally what being a teenager is all about. You could ban literally every piece of electronic in the world and they'd just go outside and slam their head against wall and go back to bullying each other in person (with added bonus of physical beating).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I can't help but feel like this is just a case of "old man yell at cloud", I don't use it, but isn't it just a bunch of short video? Why ban that and not youtube or "insert other video based social media platform"? It just feel like because it wasn't made in the US they want to ban it. I've heard it collect personal information, but again, hows that any different than any other social media platform?
It's nothing to do with the content-- the bill is open that it targets any social media company with over 1m users which is owned or "influenced" by China, Cuba, Russia, Venezuela, and a few other countries Marco Rubio considers dangerous. Where it was made is very much the point and its not hidden.

Reactions: meiam