US military to allow women in direct combat

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Dijkstra said:
Baconmonster723 said:
Does this mean they have to put in for the draft like they should have had to do since they got the right to vote?
What's with this crap about linking draft to a right to vote? They're independent, and it's hardly women's fault that the draft excludes them.
Never stated that it was. Simply arguing that the Draft should have included them the moment they go the right to vote. The right to vote is the greatest power one can wield in this country. The vote literally decides who is elected to office. While it is technically independent of the draft they are parallel to each other. Are you a citizen who can vote? You should be in the pool for conscription in times of need. It's that simple. If you are willing to accept all the benefits of living in the United States then you should also be willing to accept the fact that you may be called upon by your country to serve in a time of need. However, I will say this again, it's not women's fault they aren't part of the draft. It's just the way the cookie crumbled, I don't control it and never will. Also, many pro-women's rights groups are also pro-draft. This is a good thing.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Well, I'm sure that it would cause some issues at first, but I'm fairly certain that they'd be able to solve those issues. Remember when they started letting black soldiers and white soldiers serve in the same unit? There was an outcry from the conservatives who thought that it would be the end of the US army. Not so.

Women have fought in wars in the past. During the German invasion of Russia during WWII, many, many, many, many, many thousands upon thousands of women fought on the front line, in tanks, in trenches, in planes, using artillery, etc. You know that iconic photo showing soviet soldiers hoisting the red flag over the Reichstag? One of the soldiers in that photo is a woman.

It is true that the bulk of women have less physical strength than men, but we're not fighting with lances anymore. The US army is a highly technological army which depends more on technology than physical prowess. The strength of the US army isn't in the individual fighting soldier (although they are important), but in the quality of their weapons, the efficiency of their logistics, the speed of their fighter aircraft and the energy of their explosives. Women can shoot guns, pilot planes and drive tanks.

Let them serve. They'll surprise you.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
CrazyJew said:
Coming from Israel where conscription is a must, and women could always fight, this being a "breakthrough" amuses me.
I do want you to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't claim to know the whole history of your country but wasn't it more or less essential for your military to have both men and women to support yourselves during your independence? I'm not trying to make a jab at Israel, almost all countries are like this, but from what I know my guess is that women in the military wouldn't have been around for so long if they didn't need it to be around for so long.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
afroebob said:
CrazyJew said:
Coming from Israel where conscription is a must, and women could always fight, this being a "breakthrough" amuses me.
I do want you to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't claim to know the whole history of your country but wasn't it more or less essential for your military to have both men and women to support yourselves during your independence? I'm not trying to make a jab at Israel, almost all countries are like this, but from what I know my guess is that women in the military wouldn't have been around for so long if they didn't need it to be around for so long.
How could this be a jab?
BE it as it may, you are right, Israel conscripts all the human resources it can, it was always the situation, but you never got conscripted into combat units for no reason. Fact of the matter is, women can DECLINE combat service here, a privilege healthy men do not have. All the rest get sorted out into a variety of positions, from logistics to sciences, from engineering to medical.

It could have been that women wouldn't be let into combat units at all, yet here it is, if a healthy woman wishes so, she can go fight.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
CrazyJew said:
afroebob said:
CrazyJew said:
How could this be a jab?

I just didn't want to make it sound like I'm saying Israel was the only ones who didn't want women in there military at the time unless it was essential cause all countries believed that same thing. Pretty much just making sure some stupid person who read what I said misinterpreted it to be me being a dick because they are stupid.