US military to allow women in direct combat

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Does this mean they have to put in for the draft like they should have had to do since they got the right to vote?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Longstreet said:
On a side note, i thought this already was he case, even in the US military forces.
Well, sorta kinda. 352 US female military personnel have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, Tammy Duckworth (sp?) lost both her legs in Iraq.

Also, "ever marine is a rifleman"[footnote]That should be "rifleperson", I guess[/footnote], there are female US marines, so...

Really, if nothing else, not letting women serve as front line troops became rather pointless when there isn't a front line.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Vault101 said:
TheIronRuler said:
I am my gender. I know people in the army. This happens, and there's often the abuse of power involved. Having a bunch of guys and a few women in a squad away from base doing patrols in red zones for weeks will get ugly at some point or another.

eee, you can deny it. You know what? If you deny it, don't quote this message. Because if you do, I don't want to follow up on that.
I can't deny it due to lack of scources/knowelege on the topic

I just....it just kind of disturbed me that "people"..."normal people/men" can turn into rapists just because they are out on a tour of duty, on their own friggen squad...I mean I know solders do questionable things but....this one baffles me

is there a history of man on man rape at all?
It's important to note that, like racism, sexual harassment is a fact in the armed forces of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. However that doesn't mean that it's not an issue that's being addressed.

I'd like to point out that some countries have more disciplined armed forces than others. While the US doesn't have the world's best record for military discipline it's still reasonably respected. Whenever there's a significant change to any process or infrastructure there's inevitably a time of adjustment. I wish the US the very best in it's endeavours.

I'd also like to state that I really don't understand sexual segregation in sports. As previously posted, if an individual has the ability then they should be recognized for it, not penalised for irrelevances.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
I was almost going to make a joke about how this would change the statistics on how much more likely it is for women in the military to be raped by their fellow soldiers than it is to be shot. Then I realized that even thinking of joking about that is at best tasteless as all fuck.
The point I think I was trying to make is that I don't think the "but the women will be harassed and raped if they're in frontline combat, durr"-argument doesn't really make much sense to me. I'm not a psychology expert, but I don't see why allowing women on the front lines is going to make that problem any worse.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
It's not like there's a "front line" in counter-insurgency warfare anyway.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Good, finally some equality.

Now if we could only change the selective service to include women as well...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dijkstra said:
TheIronRuler said:
Vault101 said:
TheIronRuler said:
This is bad news...
Poor gals already have it bad as it is, now some will be stuck in nowhere with a group of guys on patrol. Sexual harassment and rape will go through the roof.
I'm not personally against women in fighting roles, but the prospects are frightening.
general sexual harrasment and such is to be expected..but rape?

give your gender some credit..PLEASE
I am my gender. I know people in the army. This happens, and there's often the abuse of power involved. Having a bunch of guys and a few women in a squad away from base doing patrols in red zones for weeks will get ugly at some point or another.

eee, you can deny it. You know what? If you deny it, don't quote this message. Because if you do, I don't want to follow up on that.
As a guy, I'm happy to say that, unlike you, I don't claim that 'knowing my gender' means that I think guys will rape girls so quickly.
I would like to be able to agree with you, but as it stands, it is a very serious and depressingly commonplace problem.

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
I want to allow women in direct combat of my friggin balls if you know what I'm sayin'

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
My only question/reservation is if they lower the physical qualifications so more women can pass the combat training or do they intend to let the women qualify at the current stndards?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fuzzed said:
I want to allow women in direct combat of my friggin balls if you know what I'm sayin'
You want them to attack your testicles? Um...ok...

Saying that to a female Marine wouldn't be a bad way to go about that, I suppose.

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
TheIronRuler said:
As a guy, I'm happy to say that, unlike you, I don't claim that 'knowing my gender' means that I think guys will rape girls so quickly.

thaluikhain said:
Dijkstra said:
TheIronRuler said:
Vault101 said:
TheIronRuler said:
This is bad news...
Poor gals already have it bad as it is, now some will be stuck in nowhere with a group of guys on patrol. Sexual harassment and rape will go through the roof.
I'm not personally against women in fighting roles, but the prospects are frightening.
general sexual harrasment and such is to be expected..but rape?

give your gender some credit..PLEASE

I would like to be able to agree with you, but as it stands, it is a very serious and depressingly commonplace problem.
Why does the military hire people that want to rape chicks?

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Fuzzed said:
You want them to attack your testicles? Um...ok...

Saying that to a female Marine wouldn't be a bad way to go about that, I suppose.
We could be in hard battle all night, if you know what I'm sayin

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fuzzed said:
Why does the military hire people that want to rape chicks?
How are they supposed to know who is going to rape someone and who is not?

Even someone who actually does rape someone is most likely not going to be taken to court, being able to spot rapists before they happen is impossible.