US Military Wants Walls That Can Pop Out of Cans for Use on the Field

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Instant chest-high-walls in a can: just add water! *ding!*

Not a bad idea I suppose although I'd rather just use the money to give our soldiers some proper armor.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Off-topc, On-topic: This needs to pop up in more shooters as a mechanic. Instant cover, works like grenades. Would fit right in with stuff like Ratchet and Clank or even Borderlands.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Alex Co said:
Block Acces
Also, I got "can of pop" in my head, which made this article title ludicrously hard to read. xD

Anyways, sounds cool, but the size of the can they expect to use... yeesh.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
FalloutJack said:
'chest-high walls' in a can (or something similar, given the measurements)
Given the measurements, it's only going to be chest-high if they either stack them on top of one another or if the US military conscripts Peter Dinklage to the infantry.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
chaser5000 said:
Maybe some kind of fast hardening foam or something.
What, like this?

Interesting thought, but would it stop bullets?

Naqel said:
Chest-high walls in a can I can get behind.

The stupid name they gave it? I think I need some brain bleach.
They don't pay 'em for nifty names, just effective usage. And...I hope it actually works.

Random berk said:
Powersuit!
Yeah, bring the wall with you! That's the way!

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
omega 616 said:
How about diverting some money to helping your country men out, instead of spending it to fuck up another countries men? We get it, you have the biggest dick, nobody is going to fuck with you! Now, PLEASE focus on your own failings!

I bet if you diverted 90% of your war budget to health care, cancer, aids and about 50 other diseases would be gone in 10 years! You wouldn't have things like breaking bad happening (not the actual show, just the message behind it of families being left destitute due to a medical problem).
You'd better talk to your Congressional Representative. Even the military thinks it's got too much hardware. In all probability, the can-in-a-wall - provided it works at all - will be a simple, cheap device that can be churned out of a factory in carload lots. Congress may well refuse to fund it as it's not complicated enough to require many workers and thus would be a waste of pork barrel money. The point of much defense work is to get government money ladled into particular districts rather than actually create military strength. Remember back when soldiers in Iraq didn't have body armor? It's a similar thing.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
FalloutJack said:
chaser5000 said:
Maybe some kind of fast hardening foam or something.
What, like this?

Interesting thought, but would it stop bullets?
Something like that, and like RJ17 said they already use something like that for construction.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Random berk said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Cranyx said:
Alex Co said:
crammed into a canister measuring 1 ft. by 6.5 ft.
that's not exactly portable, in fact it's almost large enough that you could just use the can. Also I have to ask if the walls are bullet-proof, ie can they actually be used for cover.
I was wondering that myself. No material you can put in a can (at least with today's technology) is going to stop a round from a modern assault rifle- which means this isn't cover; it's concealment.
How the hell is it concealment?
In military terms, "concealment" is anything that blocks you from direct view of the enemy, whether it's something solid like a thin wall or open like a row of bushes, but doesn't actually stop direct fire. It doesn't have to be camouflage, which is what you might be thinking of.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
I'd like to know how anything you pop out of a can could conceivably assume a sort of "wall" shape on its own. Preferably thicker at the bottom than at the top as well, since without any sort of anchoring the first thing that would happen is your wall falls over.
Unless it's already in the correct shape, just rolled up - but if it's something that could roll up as easily as that, would it be thick enough to stop bullets?

Even if it's made of (or coated with) a material that reacts with air and expands/hardens, that means storing it under some sort of inert gas, probably in a pressurised container. Which isn't something you want to be getting shot when someone's carrying it.

And then there's the problem of it being light enough to carry, given that canister size is longer than most soldiers.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
So ... basically we just take a tube that's ends come off with an extendable rod like a shower curtain, rolls upwards for X number of feet into a sort of net with thicker lines going through it that act as hollow tubes for a hardening foam to be shot through, possibly by a pressurized can on a delay trigger. Thought we already had this.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I would have to imagine that the interior of such a structure would have to be gummy in order to prevent blades from being useful.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
This reminds me of the bubble in James Bond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKqdgvsbfFQ&feature=kp
Funny possibilities with kevlar and such, maybe some hardening foam like above

Peaceful Winter

Jun 7, 2014
I am gonna be the first to admit that the iron man suit idea sounds cool enough , but this "canned wall" idea sounds weird. Why can't they just use a more durable type of riot shield?.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
The Pentagon wants Jem'Hadar who can force field, stealth and teleport, to go along with the fact that the United States is already the Dominion.

I think war should not be sanitized. I think war should not be made easy. I think war should be as disgusting and horrifying and revolting as possible. I think war should be fought naked with sticks and rocks and teeth and nails. I think war should be something that nobody in their right mind wants to get into. And I think that at the start of every war, the first soldiers on the ground should be the politicians who demanded that war in the first place.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
This sounds like some ACME corporation invention. And they should have called it Can-o-Wall or something. BlockADE is just boring.
I could go for some BlockADE right now. I'm dehydrated.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
"This should save lives" yeah, but who's lives? It's not like they're fighting aliens, they're shooting up other human beings like you and me. They're not doing it to defend their country either, they're invading other countries and meddling in their business.

I for one hope they failed in their future endeavors to advance new means to kill fellow man.