US Snatches Pokemon World Championship from Japan

Will Lloyd-Reilley

Mar 26, 2010
Marter said:
I...don't get it.

Why wouldn't they just use Shoddy Battle, instead of having to fly to a certain location?

Congrats to the winner. I'll be facing you someday! *evil laugh*
Because the article failed to mention that the world championships are actually double battles, and shoddy doesn't support that yet. On a related note that means all those talking about 6 pokemon for this are a bit off.

The fact that it's double battles always bugged me, since I know nothing about the doubles metagame. Oh well.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Ray Rizzo, he wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them was his real test, to train them was his cause. He traveled across the land, searching far and wide. And he did it. I feel like my childhood is coming back to me now.

Jul 27, 2009
The DSM said:
The woman talking over it sounds bored out of her skull, she sounds like shes about to fall asleep.

There are so many chances to make Yugioh abridged references so ill make one.

"I challenge you to a childrens card game!"
I accept you challenge...IN AMERICA! (lol I love the Yugioh abridged series.)

I am amazed at the knowledge of the game necessary to be successful at a high level in pokemon. It is nice to see how a game can be very accessible to new players on the surface but still provide a constant challenge for the veterans as well.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This is why I still the play the games, pretty deep complex RPG elements to use against each other.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
The question occurs to me of a 'chicken or the egg' type: do games get developed with so many levels of gameplay that pros have room to maneuver, or do pros manage to break every game they get serious about?

I'd always trash my casual gamer friends for playing DOA rather than Tekken because the combination of fanservice and lack of tournaments lead me to believe DOA was vastly inferior. However if the latter statement above is true, any game, no matter how [bad] could be taken to a 'pro' level.

If any multiplayer game could be broken we'd have to deal with "Mario Party 17" world tournaments, and I just don't see that happening.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Way to go, Western loyalties are sharply increased!

Haha, after clicking on that Princess Bride link I totally see how they are alike. I'm a pretty fair battler but I applaud a champion when I see one.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Hubilub said:
Man, he will be rolling in pussy now.

That's a badass feat.

"So what have you done in life?"

"Well, I won a minor league soccer championship when I was ten years old. You?"

"I defeated Japan in Pokemon"

"NO WAI"
YA WAI!!

Nothing gets the pussy to come running like being a world Pokemon champ! Plus, just look at that sexy beast of a man!

How can any bit of pussy deny that? They can't that's how.

See what I mean? [http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/4/8/128836818445396968.jpg]

Tehy lovz teh Pokemunz!
I demand that pokemon!

Also, ouch. Japan must be pissed at this. "Westerners? Taking our pride and love in Pokemon and all that is Anime in this here tournament?! To war, fellow nerds/geeks~!"

<_<

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
RobfromtheGulag said:
The question occurs to me of a 'chicken or the egg' type: do games get developed with so many levels of gameplay that pros have room to maneuver, or do pros manage to break every game they get serious about?

I'd always trash my casual gamer friends for playing DOA rather than Tekken because the combination of fanservice and lack of tournaments lead me to believe DOA was vastly inferior. However if the latter statement above is true, any game, no matter how [bad] could be taken to a 'pro' level.
That's an interesting question and, in the case of fighting games anyway, it goes both ways. Many of the systems found in SF2, for example, weren't actually put there on purpose but competitive players managed to find them and begin using them to enhance their play. Capcom did the smart thing and recognized this, then actually intentionally turned what were essentially bugs into actual features as the series evolved. Just watch any combo video these days and you'll likely see a lot of things that hardcore players can use that were likely never intentionally programmed into the game. Heck, things like infinite loops are actually pretty much required knowledge if you're going to play top level in MvC2. I doubt Capcom intended these things but they realize their potential so they don't remove them and may use them as inspiration for future development.

DOA never really had much tourney play but it wasn't because it wasn't at it's heart a solid game. I think a lot of the trouble DOA ran into came because Team Ninja really did focus too much on said fan service and creating a "fun" game. When you look at the basic engine, the DOA games are very solid and have great potential but Team Ninja didn't capitalize on that by fine tuning and balancing. I personally love the series for what it is, but most serious fighting game players can see an imbalanced and untuned game a mile away.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I thought Pokemon was just for kids..

Thats probably just prejudice from me cause i have never tried or seen a single pokemon game..

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
John Funk said:
Josh12345 said:
can someone please tell me in detail why nobody used a team that you would actually play the game with? I mean seriously, My little brother owns pokémon platinum with all 3 starters, Giritina,haunter and I think he ported over a blaziken and he could probably beat them
Because when playing the game against the computer, all you want is a team of six sweepers (fast, hard-hitting guys). In the competitive game, six sweepers is a quick way to losing because players can predict and outthink you in a way that the AI never can.
you know way more about this than a grown man should :p