US supreme court rules Trump has ‘absolute immunity’ for official acts

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Bunch of traitors. Competing to see if they can be even more vile than Dret -Scot Supreme Court I see

Reactions: BrawlMan and Worgen

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What the fuck, I mean, we all knew this was pretty likely , but seriously, what the fuck. I almost wish we had a left wing version of trump so they would just start bullying the court into submission and claim it was an official act.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well okay so with Trump almost certain to return to power and the supreme court having essentially said he could do whatever he wanted, this will almost certainly be the last election in the country history.

Hopefully democrat do something for once and Biden uses his newfound power to quickly removed everyone on the supreme court and quickly enact a bunch of change to drastically reduce the likehood of a dictator by puppet supreme court. But I'm sure that won't happen and they'll just turn around and ask for donation but do business as usual. At least maybe try to pack the court? Why is it only the, at this point, evil GOP who try to fully use their power to further their goal?

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
The court left the bulk of the analysis up to Chutkan. But Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the majority, found that Trump’s threat to fire the then-acting attorney general for refusing to open investigations were protected, because the justice department is part of the executive branch.

Roberts similarly found that Trump’s effort to pressure Pence was probably protected, as the president discussing responsibilities with the vice president was an instance of official conduct. “Trump is at least presumptively immune from prosecution for such conduct,” the opinion said.
The president is head of the military and, as such, is obligated to delegate tasks to the military, furthermore it seems well within the remit of the office of the president to carry out the oath to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States", even though it might require dealing with a few justices and some guy who seems intent on violating the constitution if elected.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
If only Dark Brandon wasn't just a meme. This would be the funniest case of "getting what you asked for" possible.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The judges are securing their retirement, for if trump wins then they can step down for new federal society republicans to replace their seats instead of having to remain there over another biden term to make sure no-one untrained by the federalist society's grim narrow political aims gets in and undoes their current power monopoly

Reactions: BrawlMan

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Just went and read the section on official acts/duties of the president according to the US Constitution, coincidentally it includes assigning members of the supreme court, with no mention of how many. It does, in fact, also include being the head of the armed forces.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
SIgh democrat already started the whole "c'mon just vote for us bro, we'll fix it after the election" somehow not realizing that it'll be too late.

Remember when the US left Afghanistan and the Afghan army folded in front of the Taliban and everyone was wondering why they didn't do anything to preserve their newfound freedom? This is why.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Reactions: Kwak

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well okay so with Trump almost certain to return to power and the supreme court having essentially said he could do whatever he wanted, this will almost certainly be the last election in the country history.

Hopefully democrat do something for once and Biden uses his newfound power to quickly removed everyone on the supreme court and quickly enact a bunch of change to drastically reduce the likehood of a dictator by puppet supreme court. But I'm sure that won't happen and they'll just turn around and ask for donation but do business as usual. At least maybe try to pack the court? Why is it only the, at this point, evil GOP who try to fully use their power to further their goal?
Here's the joke; Democrates would rather Republicans, even MAGA Republicans, win, than change the status quo.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
What an absolute joke. The SCOTUS is so nakedly, transparently a political organ, that I struggle to see how any thinking person could view it as non-partisan.

I've had a quick skim of the text of their ruling, and it looks like dogshit. There's nothing objective or constitutional there; it's full of repeated appeals to "executive power" as if that self-evidently implies immunity.

It's now legal for the President to order the Seals or the army to kill his political opponents.

Last edited:

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I've had a quick skim of the text of their ruling, and it looks like dogshit. There's nothing objective or constitutional there; it's full of repeated appeals to "executive power" as if that self-evidently implies immunity.
Dogshit? Yes. Well, it's shit they plucked out of their backsides as they are entitled to, when other plausible alternatives existed.

Under Constitutional separation of powers and all that, they can clearly argue that the appropriate institution for dealing with potential crimes of the president is Congress. And if we see the previous rulings they've made, we must all have known that was coming, because their previous rulings have made clear they don't want the courts - and thus themselves - anywhere near these sorts of rulings on the president.

Likewise stuff that the Department of Justice is an arm of the executive, and thus falls under the whim of the president (So if the president wants to "weaponise" the DoJ against political opponents, he is completely entitled to.) It might not be conducive to good governance, but the courts are not obliged to consider good governance. What's interesting perhaps is demanding that official business cannot even be brought up in court as evidence. This seems to me deeply problematic, because a great deal of inappropriate behaviour, including that which may be relevant to misuses of power, may occur under official business.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Sigh this is the dumb stuff I hate democrat for. Is she genuinely too stupid to understand that its a waste of time, which is very limited for democrats considering they'll never have power again come next year?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Yeah, the Democrats are going to do something about it! They're gonna tell you to vote and then do nothing about it. If they manage to win this go around, they'll continue to do nothing and then tell everyone that Project 2025 2029 is scary and you need to vote for them to stop it. If they manage to win that go around, they'll continue to do nothing and then everyone that Project 2025 2029 2033 is scary and you need to vote for them to stop it. If they manage to win...

It's been a fun experiment this US Democracy but it'll end as soon as someone crazy enough to snag power gets it.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And to no surprise...

Supreme Court: "The president is immune from prosecution for doing the job of the president."
Trump: "They should vacate the conviction for things I did before becoming president."

I don't even agree with that conviction, and that motion is laughably stupid.

OT: You're all silly people. This ruling is stating what the status quo always was. Nothing has changed.

Side note: My favorite silly take was AOC freaking out that now the President can just kill people, because this ruling does not let the President just kill people, but also the President is Commander-In-Chief and has (the position collectively) ordered the deaths of millions of people.