Using a PS3 Controller on the PC

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Using a PS3 Controller on the PC

There's a lot of games out there that just play better with a gamepad. For example, Bastion is an isometric action title that would be rather awkward to control with a mouse and keyboard. Or how about Limbo, a sidescrolling platformer. Or maybe, like me, you like racing games but don't want to setup your force feedback racing wheel. Heck, I use a gamepad for Battlefield 3 in case I hop into a fighter jet.

Xbox controllers, being a Microsoft product, generally work on PC without any problems. Sony, however, doesn't think much of using their hardware on a MS based system so they do not provide basic support or functionality. Thankfully, some intrepid 3rd party has taken things into their own hands.

I introduce to you: MotioninJoy [http://motionjoy.com]

Just go to the site and download the latest version. I've used these drivers for quite a while now without any issues. Basically, you just install the drivers and plug your PS3 controller into your USB input. If you have a bluetooth capable PC, you can use that too just read about how at their website.

After that, you boot up the driver tool, hit Enable, and you're good to go! I do recommend selecting the option "Xbox 360 Controller Emulator" because most games have default controls for the Xbox controller and it works great.

Have fun!

(Source: http://wolframpc.blogspot.com/2012/01/using-ps3-controller-on-pc.html)

Feel free to discuss how great gamepads are - or how crappy - or how Sony should have PC support, or whatever else. I was playing some Racedriver GRID last night with my PS3 gamepad :)

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I picked up a PS2 - USB adapter for about £2, and have been using my PS2 controller for years, much prefer it to the Xbox controller also sticking out of my PC.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
I'm not sure why you would want to use a Playstation controller on PC when you've got the 360 pads. They are pretty cheap (under £20 in the UK) and they are considered by most people as a lot better than the Playstation pads. I have a mock-360 pad for my Playstation simply because I don't like the Playstation ones.

Of course this doesn't mean everyone prefers them, but in my experience the 360 pad is far superior.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks man.
I tried hooking up my ps3 controller to the pc before but found that to be more trouble than its worth and eventually just got a cheap wired 360 controller but that was a piece of crap that started breaking a month later.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Nalbis said:
I'm not sure why you would want to use a Playstation controller on PC when you've got the 360 pads. They are pretty cheap (under £20 in the UK) and they are considered by most people as a lot better than the Playstation pads. I have a mock-360 pad for my Playstation simply because I don't like the Playstation ones.

Of course this doesn't mean everyone prefers them, but in my experience the 360 pad is far superior.
Because a lot of people own a PS3 but not an Xbox.

Use what you've got, man.

Plus, IMO, the PS3 controllers are way better for one reason: thumb sticks are more subtle. I find when I play Xbox at my friend's, the thumb sticks feel like the one from an N64 controller. Just too stiff. The PS3 ones allow, IMO, more sensitive movements.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
Yeah course some people prefer the PS3 pads, I came across a bit harsh there I was just saying that the Xbox ones are a good cheap alternative that many people I know enjoy using so you could grab those, but my personal preference is the 360 ones, I like the analogue locations, feels more natural in my hands. I do agree that the PS3 analogues move quicker, I'm not sure if I like that though.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I like my Xbox 360 controller for PC, but I give Sony credit for using the bluetooth wireless standard instead of a proprietary adapter.

Also I recommend PC gamepad users to check out Pinnacle Profiler [http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/] for keyboard/mouse emulation. The full version costs $20, but I find it a noticeable upgrade over free options like JoyToKey and xpadder, and it has a 30 day free trial to check it out before you buy.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I was glad I found this a little while ago, there are so many games on PC that just play so much better with a controller.

I believe I actually discovered this when I found out that my keyboard couldn't handle me pressing A,S and space bar at once (i.e. move diagonally south-west and jump). Despite the fact that it could handle A-W-space and D-W-space. It made Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light quite difficult...

But it turned out that the game played 10x better with a controller anyway.

The only thing I haven't tried it with yet is Silent Hill 2 and 3... I hope it works for those because my old USB controller broke and they must always be playable. Shouldn't be a problem though.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
isometry said:
The full version costs $20, but I find it a noticeable upgrade over free options like JoyToKey and xpadder
What exactly does it upgrade? I press a button on my controller with xpadder and it presses the assigned button and it stores different configurations for both pads and games whilst being very lightweight. What else could it possibly need?