Utah Governor Vetoes Bill HB 353

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Utah Governor Vetoes Bill HB 353

In a surprise development, Utah Governor Jon Huntsman has vetoed HB 353 [http://le.utah.gov/~2009/htmdoc/hbillhtm/hb0353.htm], the controversial bill that would have exposed retailers to lawsuits if they mistakenly sold M-rated videogames to underage customers.

Bill HB 353, originally drafted with the help of disgraced former attorney Jack Thompson, ESRB [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90345-Utah-Bill-HB-353-Goes-to-the-Governor] rating system.

"After careful consideration and study, I have decided to veto HB 353, Truth in Advertising Act Amendments, and have transmitted it to the Lieutenant Governor for filing," the Governor said in a message posted on GamePolitics [http://saintless.com/2009/03/25/gov-vetoed-hb-353/]). "While protecting children from inappropriate materials is a laudable goal, the language of this bill is so broad that it likely will be struck down by the courts as an unconstitutional violation of the Dormant Commerce Clause and/or the First Amendment."

"The industries most affected by this new requirement indicated that rather than risk being held liable under this bill, they would likely choose to no longer issue age appropriate labels on goods and services," he continued. "Therefore, the unintended consequence of the bill would be that parents and children would have no labels to guide them in determining the age appropriateness of the goods or service, thereby increasing children's potential exposure to something they or their parents would have otherwise determined was inappropriate under the voluntary labeling system now being recognized and embraced by a significant majority of vendors."

Thompson has apparently told GamePolitics that the bill's supporters intend to override the Governor's veto, which can apparently be done if two-thirds of the Senate vote to do so. Whether there is actually enough die-hard support for the bill to carry the fight to that level is unclear.

"This is an absolute win for families," ESA [http://www.theesa.com] CEO Michael Gallagher said in a statement. "Utah's parents will benefit from Governor Huntsman's leadership and thoughtfulness on this issue. His decisive action helps caregivers and prevents businesses from being opened to unproductive, wasteful civil litigation and needless expense. Parents can be assured that the strength of the ESRB rating system remains intact and continues to serve as a valuable resource and will continue to effectively serve them."

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
...Wait... Wait, what? Did a politician actually read and understand a bill, and then do what is best for the people, not just his career?

My head, it has exploded from the paradox of an at least somewhat responsible politician.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
YES!

Utah Governor Jon Huntsman, we all love you man!

Just hope the Senate won't override it...

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Whoa... didn't expect that. Take that, Jack Thompson! The world has realized that you are an imbecile! But the senate will, in all likelihood, override it.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Ha. Threatening to sue retailers over selling to minors will encourage them to cover up the industry-standard, not-legally-binding ESRB labels so they don't get in trouble. And if that's the case, then they'll go ahead and sell GTAIV to Junior, because hey, there is no way for them to tell what a game is rated anymore.

I kind of hope it passes. There is no greater punishment than the consequences of one's own stupidity.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Broken Wings said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Jon Huntsman, you have proved yourself one of the few politicians worthy of your position!

Now only if the Senate doesn't fuck this up.
Yeah he definitely is a wise man. Now if only a wise man could replace the current host of Red Eye then maybe I won't dislike Americans so much.
That guy was is a complete douchebag. He isn't the norm for Americans. He's the crazy guy we lock up in asylums. Don't let one man's idiocy ruin your opinion of an entire country.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Mstrswrd said:
...Wait... Wait, what? Did a politician actually read and understand a bill, and then do what is best for the people, not just his career?

My head, it has exploded from the paradox of an at least somewhat responsible politician.
Oh he only did it because he wants the Utah gamers to re-elect him. hehe

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
Jon Huntsman, you have just won exactly 1,562,463,356,173,032,893,004,628,538.4 to the power of one million Poodonkis-points for this. I hope you spend them wisely.
You, sir, have given me confidence in politics for the first time ever.

The senate? We'll see, but just in case: Don't mess this up, Senate!

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Broken Wings said:
Labyrinth said:
Lucky Utahians. If only the Australian government has as much insight.
No offense but I think your shooting for the sun with paper wings on that one. But seriously you Aussy gamers don't deserve the crap you have to go through.
Believe me I know it's optimistic. Ugh.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
My amazement knows no bounds.

However is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that something bad is gonna happen the will completly screw over the good that has occurred here....