Uwe Boll Issues "Four Screens Fiasco" Statement

trenton9

Oct 4, 2007
the monopoly guy said:
house of the dead?! my god that game has horrible enough acting as it is (still a good game tho) let alone what uwe boll is gonna do to it!
...what Uwe Boll has already done too it. At least it's laughably terrible...Bloodrayne just wasn't funny.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I was going to feel sorry for everyone involved in this picture who didn't have any say in the creative side (gaffer, best boy, clapperboard loader, etc) for the fact they spent months off their lives and won't get paid. Then it came to me, why the hell would you sign on for a Uwe Bowl flick anyway?!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
To be able to leech of german taxpayers. That's why EA will give him everything he asks for.

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
This guy's so full of himself, it's stopped being funny.
He sees himself like a saint, out there to teach the world about how wrong George W Bush is. Newsflash, most of us already know that, you're a bit late.
Besides, questioning what went down during 9/11 is one thing. Making crude jokes about it, that just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
Uwe, you should look for something else to direct, because I don't think movies based on games, or "political satires" are up your alley just yet. Maybe you should try out sitcoms instead.

Dultae

Jan 28, 2008
Uwe Boll is Max Bialystock. A very successful Max Bialystock.

I am holding out hope that one day he will make a Springtime for Hitler. Something so horribly terrible and awful it swings right around the meter and winds up at totally awesome again.

One day.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
avykins said:
PurpleRain said:
I was going to feel sorry for everyone involved in this picture who didn't have any say in the creative side (gaffer, best boy, clapperboard loader, etc) for the fact they spent months off their lives and won't get paid. Then it came to me, why the hell would you sign on for a Uwe Bowl flick anyway?!
Why would they not get paid? They should get paid at the end of every week/month.
I maybe the contract workers. But I think if the movies a flop and doesn't make money, the people working can't get paid?

I don't know, I was asleep for most of my Industry lectures.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
[/quote]

I maybe the contract workers. But I think if the movies a flop and doesn't make money, the people working can't get paid?

I don't know, I was asleep for most of my Industry lectures.[/quote]

Check the Wikipedia article on Boll. He can write off the movie expenses and any loses on his taxes. The German government ends up recouping almost all of his expenditures, because he exploits a tax shelter. Even if he spends more then he grosses, he still makes money because Germany wants to encourage there countries creative properties, and that includes crap that Boll makes.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Funny guy. He's opinionated, but doesn't seem to have the skills, or the will, to really sit there and try to do something meaningful, instead of his constant celluloid shit.

Ares Draxus said:
I think Uwe should focus on non-game movies. Let his creative juices flow in other directions. Game Movies is just a piss poor genre to begin with. Let games be games, let movies be movies. The fact that some of the games he has made movies out of have been crap to begin with doesn't help to much. Producing something that is marginally watchable out of the crapfest that is Dungeon Siege definitely requires skill.
Pokémon, the movie, was a success.

*runs*

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
This movie is now cult, which means I am compelled to track it down and watch me. Quick, someone tie me to something big and heavy before I do something I'll regret!

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
trenton9 said:
the monopoly guy said:
house of the dead?! my god that game has horrible enough acting as it is (still a good game tho) let alone what uwe boll is gonna do to it!
...what Uwe Boll has already done too it. At least it's laughably terrible...Bloodrayne just wasn't funny.
yeah yeah I get it. I could barely make it through the comercials for dungeon seige. Boll is so full of himselfs its sad and laughable at the same time and doesn't deserve the attention he gets.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Malygris said:
"It nails the absurd political situation with all the stupid religions, races and nations we are living in.
What exactly is a "stupid race"? Unless he's talking about a 100m dash in quicksand, we can add xenophobia to list of reasons to dislike Boll.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Oh brilliant, an absolute idiot who, impossibly, takes himself seriously as a movie maker now has a message.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I don't get all the Boll hate. Really, I don't. Yes, he's full of himself, yes, his movies range from god awful to just plain bad. But that's it. I actually have seen every game-movie he made and I still live. Some of those experiences I somewhat regret, others have come to be rather ridiculous memories.

"House of the Dead" got exactly the movie it deserved... come on, the game itself is painfully stupid, which is what makes it enjoyable. Anybody bashing the movie for its hilarious mockery of a story should go back and play the game once more.
Okay, "Bloodrayne" really was aweful... instead of having a big busted half-vampire chop up Nazis while searching for some mysterious artifact, we got a complete failure of a movie that didn't contain anything that made the game enjoyable. The second Bloodrayne wasn't much better in that aspect, but somehow managed to be endurable.
"Alone in the dark" actually inspired me to write one of the most hilarious movie reviews I've ever done (I sometimes write small reviews for a private forum), but yes, it was awful beyond comprehension. Even more painful since the original game would have provided a good story, setting and character, but instead of that Boll chose to screw Carnby over and have some awkward excuse for a story.
I've actually seen "Postal" and have to admit that this is probably Boll's best take on a game so far. That doesn't mean it's good, the gags most of the times are too stupid to even warrant a mere smile, but it's not half as bad as I expected it to be. It's a slapstick comedy that just tries to hard to be offensive, which fails.
"Dungeon Siege" was... well... probably the worst Boll film I've seen so far. I'm actually happy that the PS3 can play movies at one and a half times the normal speed, including sound. That made the second half of the film just so much more enjoyable, which I probably couldn't have seen through without that.

Have I missed any?
Anyway: Stop hating that guy. There are lots of people out there making awful movies and believing they're the king of the hill. I've seen far worse movies than Boll's. He isn't a Spielberg for sure, and he may be raping game franchises by the dozens, but it's not like game movies are known for their quality and sticking with the game too closely anyway, and nobody's forcing you to watch his movies.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
thebobmaster said:
PurpleRain said:
matches81 said:
Wow, that's the first person I've ever seen give off Boll love.
Er, I wouldn't call that Boll love....
thx, that would have been my answer, too.
I only said that I don't understand why everybody hates Boll that much. He's just a guy who makes crappy to bad movies, that's it. Get over it already. And don't rate his movies when you never saw them.