Valkyria Chronicles III Gets Vita Compatible English Fan Translation

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Valkyria Chronicles III Gets Vita Compatible English Fan Translation

The Valkyria Chronicles 3 Translation Project has released a working patch translating the game's text into English.

Back in the dark early days of the PS3, Valkyria Chronicles was easily one of the console's best exclusives which, sadly, did little for its sales in the United States. The game was, initially, a notorious bomb in America, selling a mere 33,000 units in its opening month at American retailers. A price drop would help it <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92294-Valkyria-Chronicles-Sales-Suddenly-Up-400>gain momentum later on, but it and its PSP-based sequel never attained the popularity that its publishers at Sega were hoping for. In turn, Valkyria Chronicles III, the franchise's second PSP game, was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113605-Sega-Says-No-Valkyria-Chronicles-III-For-Western-Gamers>never localized for English audiences.

Despite the franchise's poor western sales, it still had its fans however, some of whom decided to commit themselves to making the third game accessible to English speaking gamers. Dubbing themselves the Valkyria Chronicles 3 Translation Project, these fans have toiled since 2012 to create a patch that would turn the Japanese text to English. In case, you were wondering, it's a goal they recently accomplished.

In a blog post the team confirmed that it's finished a working version of the patch compatible with the digital version of the game on both Translation Project's website.

Source: DualShockers

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Valkyria Chronicles was one of the best exclusives the PS3 ever had, its one of the main reasons I never traded in my console when I bought the PS4. (Traded in every PS3 game I had except for this, The Last of Us, Final Fantasy XIII/2 and the AC series.

OT: This is good news indeed, might be time to invest in a Vita this year. :3

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm going to cry from joy. It's getting really hard to hold back the tears. It's going to be one big, sloppy, manly flood.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
hopefully the experts over at Atlus USA can teach Sega how to profitably adapt niche JRPG titles. >.<

I'm happy to hear the news, though! Valkyria Chronicles was amazing, and while I hated how VCII kinda "Yugioh GX"-ed the whole thing, it was still really good and worth investing a good hundred hours in. if the third game followed tradition, it'll be worth the extra effort to play in english.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
balladbird said:
hopefully the experts over at Atlus USA can teach Sega how to profitably adapt niche JRPG titles. >.<

I'm happy to hear the news, though! Valkyria Chronicles was amazing, and while I hated how VCII kinda "Yugioh GX"-ed the whole thing, it was still really good and worth investing a good hundred hours in. if the third game followed tradition, it'll be worth the extra effort to play in english.
This game returns to the setting of the first title, only now you're commanding a penal squad whose entire job is to be a meat shield to soften up the enemy for the main army. It's still a band of quirky misfits though, but overall the style and tone are a return to 1 as opposed to the highschool animu of 2 but with all of the mechanical advancements of the latter.

Sadly, it also reuses just about every map from 2 and it does it early and often.

On the plus side, every character has original body renders unlike 2's uniform models.

Oh yeah, it's also made by the creators of Wild ARMs instead of the team behind 1 and 2, and Imca's weapon is proof of that.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
balladbird said:
While we're at it, we can get SEGA Sammy to get SEGA to help Atlus with localizing in European regions. Many still wait for Shin Megami Tensei IV there. T^T

OT: Well that's cool, I'll have to check this out to see how they do the translations.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Awesome, Guess I can finally do something with the spare vita I got from sony. Guess well have to wait for a while tho >.> I did buy a psp import for cheap just for collection sake.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
If anyone was curious about psp custom firmware, its extremely easy to use. Here's a guide at wololo.net [http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/] for setting it up. The firmware will also let you rip any UMD's and downloaded games you have into ISO files which is the only way to use this patch legally *wink *wink. The ppsspp [http://www.ppsspp.org/] emulator for Windows (and android, and iOS) is free, open source, and ran well on my netbook. I imagine it would run patched games too

wooty said:
Valkyria Chronicles was one of the best exclusives the PS3 ever had, its one of the main reasons I never traded in my console when I bought the PS4. (Traded in every PS3 game I had except for this, The Last of Us, Final Fantasy XIII/2 and the AC series.

OT: This is good news indeed, might be time to invest in a Vita this year. :3
I wouldn't get a vita for this game. Hacking the vita requires weird steps like downloading specific games with exploits

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Looks like it's time to clear this game again..but in ENGLISH. lol

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Valkyria Chronicles to me is hands down the best game on PS3. Every generation has those hidden gems that never really got the attention they deserved. Valkyria Chronicles just happened to be one of those gems. This translation project is amazing news. ^^

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
StewShearer said:
Despite the franchise's poor western sales, it still had its fans however, some of whom decided to commit themselves to making the third game accessible to English speaking gamers. Dubbing themselves the Valkyria Chronicles 3 Translation Project, these fans have toiled since 2012 to create a patch that would turn the Japanese text to English. In case, you were wondering, it's a goal they recently accomplished.
Okay, seriously... bullshit like this kinda annoys me. Like it or not, Valkyria Chronicles sold over a half million copies in the US, and ended up selling over double what it sold in Japan. Bad Western sales... Western sales were its BEST sales, and it's not the US's fault that Sega did everything it could to brand VC2 for Japan while killing sales everywhere else (PSP, school setting, anime tropes, etc).

I have a Vita, so there's no chance I'd get VC3 on a Japanese account just to patch it, and I'm sure as hell not rewarding Sega for ruining a promising series and then not bothering with importing their apology sequel anyway. Seriously, VC2 sold LESS in Japan than the original even after they turned it into a mockery of the first. Until I can potentially ROM this thing, I'm not giving Sega money because a fangroup did their job for them.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Quiotu said:
StewShearer said:
Okay, seriously... bullshit like this kinda annoys me. Like it or not, Valkyria Chronicles sold over a half million copies in the US, and ended up selling over double what it sold in Japan. Bad Western sales... Western sales were its BEST sales, and it's not the US's fault that Sega did everything it could to brand VC2 for Japan while killing sales everywhere else (PSP, school setting, anime tropes, etc).

I have a Vita, so there's no chance I'd get VC3 on a Japanese account just to patch it, and I'm sure as hell not rewarding Sega for ruining a promising series and then not bothering with importing their apology sequel anyway. Seriously, VC2 sold LESS in Japan than the original even after they turned it into a mockery of the first. Until I can potentially ROM this thing, I'm not giving Sega money because a fangroup did their job for them.
I heard that Sega never brought 3 over because there was rampant psp piracy in the US. You already said that the psp was one of the reasons it didn't sell well but I don't think 2's story had much to do with it. The fact that you would download a ROM is because you think they don't deserve to get payment for the game is exactly why it never came over, or so I've heard.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
cursedseishi said:
I doubt the piss-poor story of Valkyria Chronicles 2 helped any though. The ending fight was less referential than it was a total bloody rip-off, copy and paste, of the first game. They didn't even bother trying to 'spruce' up the boss to make his mechanics any different than VC 1. And the entire game was so horribly unbalanced that it was, quite honestly, impossible to find a challenge within it.

Now, I liked what they did overall with the tank mechanics, and even the research tree. They should of dropped all the annoying crap they put in just to fluff out crafting and exasperate people trying to do it. They should of toned down Ace tank parts, and a specific line of guns especially (people who played 2 know exactly the weapon I mean), to ensure that it didn't make the game so completely one-sided in your favor. Or at least force them to research it instead of just getting it.

Seriously, when the game tells you "Avoid this guy, he's supposed to be scary and one-shot everything no problem!". Any threat he has loses any credibility when a cannon you get extremely easily early on from an ace unit for your tank is easily able to one shot him.
And that 'fluff' comment applies doubly so to the "certificates" mechanic they added in to handle promotions and job switches.

The game was a bloody mess in general, and sales reflected it. The game was changed up, because Sega admitted to wanting to go after an entirely different audience instead of the one it had built up. The story sucked, sure, but that was a small part in a long list (for me at least) of why the game sucked so badly. A shame considering it had some bright spots in it.

edit: That's not even touching on class balance either, as they made the typical soldier types nigh-godlike in the game with the heavily reduced map size. It reduced the slight strength scouts had in the first game, but at the cost of reducing every other unit beside shocktroopers general effectiveness as well.

edit2: And all that is ignoring the bastardization of the series Sega committed with the Browser-Based trading card game they made of it.
I have some good(?) news for you!

As mentioned before, we're back in the Gallian War setting of 1 and highschool antics are gone.

Scouts are squishier than ever and have poorer accuracy, and can no longer just duck behind cover as the defense buff is severely nerfed and headshots still do bonus damage. Snipers feel like they're back up to par with their increased effective range and higher base accuracy. Stormtroopers are more or less unchanged, and Field Tech have a nice new bonus where their shield fans out when they end their turn, becoming a new cover point. Engineers still feel pretty useless but those pistols got a buff so they make for pretty good base defenders until you unlock Gunners.

The grind of the certificates is gone, everyone can be any class whenever they want, but they have two preferred ones that have higher stat gains on level-up and new classes are basically purchased by buying their first weapon. Speaking of which, classes aren't leveled with loose experience anymore, instead you level the base stats of HP, Accuracy, Evasion and then either Infantry or Armor damage(these are incredibly expensive) and characters level their class through using that character.

The new class system comes with a neat touch though, each class learns three traits. One is learned in the basic form, one at Veteran, and one at Elite. You can carry class traits over to other classes as well.

Special equipment has been slowed to a trickle as well and you can only get one of each of them so no more army of eight shot OP as all hell scout snipers. You can't even access DLC missions til the third chapter.

On to the bad news... the crafting system has been removed, because the Nameless aren't getting experimental tech, they're scrounging for enemy drops and taking "misplaced" requisitions orders. And the three protagonists have their own gamebreakers as well in the form of Special Actions. You only get to use them one to four times per mission but Kurt's alone becomes the default turn one move as he's able to order two other units to follow him without any drain on their stamina and for a grand total of one command point.

Between the two ladies, you get your option of a mass locked missile launcher and going full on Valkyrur(Selvaria and Alicia as a dlc character have the same skill) for a turn, making them an invincible powerhouse of laser lance shooting insanity.

On a different note, don't pick up the translation if you're easily bothered by the uncanny valley of english. It is a super straight translation and some of it just doesn't parse. The dialogue comes off as very unnatural as a result.

As for others, make no mistake, VC2 had full on highschool animu bullshit. Because SEGA wanted the Persona market without having any understanding of the series that made the setting work for Atlus. Valkyria was already pretty animu, and 2 they just unleashed the floodgate of anime cliches.