Valkyria Chronicles Remastered Confirmed for North American Release

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered Confirmed for North American Release

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered will be coming to PS4s in North America and Europe in Spring 2016.

Valkyria Chronicles was one of 2014's most unlikely hits. A flop with a cult following on the PS3, the game's PC port sold so well at it even managed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138590-Valkyria-Chronicles-Tops-Steam-Charts-After-Release#&gid=gallery_3512&pid=1>to overcome the sales juggernaut of Assassin's Creed when it released. Emboldened by the port's success, SEGA announced in 2015 that it would give console gamers another chance to try the game with a PS4 remaster. The problem was that SEGA never clarified if the new version would be leaving Japan.

Well, RPG fans can now rejoice because SEGA has formally confirmed that the Valkyria Chronicles Remastered will be coming to North America and Europe in Spring 2016. According to SEGA, the game, in the United States, will retail for 29.99 and receive both physical and digital releases. Gamers in North America who pre-order the physical version of the remaster will also receive a special metal "Squad 7" case, "while supplies last." The Squad 7 case will not be available in Europe.

Speaking personally, even though I probably won't be picking this up myself (I bought Valkyria Chronicles on PS3), I'm still really excited for the PS4 version to hit stores. While the PC version did wonders to expose a new audience to Valkyria Chronicles, there are a ton of console gamers who have yet to try it. Here's hoping they buy it in droves and, in turn, make SEGA feel confident enough about the series to export <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161452-Valkyria-Chronicles-IV-Announced-for-PS4>Valkyria Chronicles IV when it launches.

(And translate <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130979-Valkyria-Chronicles-III-Gets-Vita-Compatible-English-Fan-Translation>part three. We still want that SEGA)
[gallery=5512]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
But its cel-shaded. Not much you can add to it with HD graphics.
And it was only an okay game with a small fanbase to begin with.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...*Sigh* Look I know a lot of people like the game, and I do appreciate what it was trying to do, but the execution just...didn't really work out for me.

Still, I hope this makes people happy. Just because I'm not having fun with this doesn't mean no one else should.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Does this add anything more than the PC version already had?

P.S. Thanks

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I wanted to like this game. The game's story is written like every other bad anime that has ever existed, and the story was the reason I quit playing this game.

That being said...I managed to get about three quarters of the way through the game before the atrocious story became too cliche-ridden for me to bear, which speaks volumes about how good the gameplay is. Typically, I don't even get past the first few missions. But the gameplay is different enough to be interesting, and solid enough to work. And that's not even getting into just how damn gorgeous this game is.

If you don't mind being a part of a bad anime, you should pick this game up. It'll be well worth your time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not the greatest story wise, no, but it's one of the more unique Japanese RPGs out there, and I'm glad it's getting another shot.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
i love this game for being an honest and thoughtful take on ww2, anime goofyness no withstanding but seriously SEGA? you ignore this game for 6 years, re-release it on stema and then suddenly decide that because it got good reviews compared to your 3 latest entries of the total war franchise because it has been spared being milked to death simply because of your apathy towards it it's suddenly up for re-release?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
this game gets a lot of hate so I'm probably going to be flamed for this, but I love this game and can't wait to see the re-release since I no longer have a PS3 and my PC is the equivalent of a toaster this is great news for me. I love tactical games and this one was one of the most unique I've played so I'm really happy to see it coming back

Ncrdrg

Sep 12, 2014
It's definitely a nice game but I'm not seeing anything making it worth the price. I mean, why would you want to pay 45 CAD for a game you can buy on Steam for less than half that price? And that's when it's not on sale, obviously. Anyway, it's clearly not for me since I already own the PS3 version.

I'd rather they focus on porting Valkyria Chronicles 3. I played it with an English patch but it's a fan translation. It's not quite the same and it didn't translate everything either. I'd pay for that, not for some pointless remaster which doesn't seem to add anything of value.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
erttheking said:
...*Sigh* Look I know a lot of people like the game, and I do appreciate what it was trying to do, but the execution just...didn't really work out for me.

Still, I hope this makes people happy. Just because I'm not having fun with this doesn't mean no one else should.
I think I was more interested in what the game could be, then what it was. If it got a big budget sequel, with plenty of time to polish it, it could be the next fire emblem. I rather loved the game play, I just thought it was slightly rough around the edges. Sure, the plot was filled with typical anime nonsense, but that never stopped me from playing fire emblem. Hopefully the new games will expand on the ideas in the original.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Silentpony said:
But its cel-shaded. Not much you can add to it with HD graphics.
And it was only an okay game with a small fanbase to begin with.
That small fanbase out purchased Assn Creed, it's a cult game to be sure but with a loyal fanbase it does make sense to rerelease titles such as this. Also there are rumors that other psp only titles may also come out on vite/ps4 so getting the fanbase excited again has the added benefit of advertising future lessor known titles in the franchise. All that said this isn't a huge expense on Sega's part, added textures, reconfigured draw distances and possibly retooled fx and they can make this game look many times better, revamped cel shaded graphics not looking better is a bit of. Misnomer.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Silentpony said:
NiPah said:
Wait, it was supposed to be a PSP only title? 'cause I have it installed on my lappy via Steam right now.
I think he might be talking about the two sequels, which are PSP exclusives, the last of which was never released outside Japan.

As someone who likes this series, I wouldn't mind finally being able to legit get my hands on VC3. The sequels improved the mechanics in quite a few ways, even if they were at the same time also hampered by the PSP's limitations.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Cool. I have the original for the PS3, but I never bothered to put it in. No trophies, so it got moved to the bottom of my play list and has yet to make it back up to the top. It seemed like my type of game though, so I'll probably get the remake--especially if it comes with trophies.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Silentpony said:
NiPah said:
Wait, it was supposed to be a PSP only title? 'cause I have it installed on my lappy via Steam right now.
Yup, as Chimpzy said I was referring to the sequels. The original was always for PS3.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I really hope all this (apparent?) interest in VC either gets me a localized VC3 or a VC4, because the fixes VC2 made to the formula make it really fucking hard for me to go back to the first game.
Fun though it is to two-hit tanks from the front with small arms.

On the other hand, it might do exactly the opposite- It flopped on console once, now it might do that again, and Sega will look at the series like "Welp there's no money here any more!"

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Despite it's flaws (flamethrowers are unstoppable, it's like you're in a juggernaut suit if you're lying in grass, snipers are worthless until you get at least B-grade aiming, the bizarre choice of grading system) I did really like this game. A certain someone's death around the midway point was such a sucker-punch that it really got to me, and other moments as well. The art style is beautiful and call me a monster but I liked the story... kind of.

It wasn't that long ago I played it for PS3 though so I likely won't get it again on PS4. I mean, I liked The Last of Us too but same with it - why buy it again? Also, what's in this remaster that sets it apart from the original? It looks completely identical, graphics and all.

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
joshuaayt said:
I really hope all this (apparent?) interest in VC either gets me a localized VC3 or a VC4, because the fixes VC2 made to the formula make it really fucking hard for me to go back to the first game.
Fun though it is to two-hit tanks from the front with small arms.

On the other hand, it might do exactly the opposite- It flopped on console once, now it might do that again, and Sega will look at the series like "Welp there's no money here any more!"
This is basically the same hope, and the same fear, that I have. I loved VC1, and enjoyed the gameplay improvements VC2 brought to the table (the lack of similar artstyle and the high school setting kinda hampered it compared to VC1 though). Still really sore from their decision to withhold VC3. I mean, I know why, but it still leaves a bitter mark.

Sega's notorious when it comes to exporting, and I think a remaster of VC1 won't be enough to overcome their business criteria. It's nice, and I'm certainly going to throw my money into the ring, but even though quite a few westerners bought and enjoyed VC1...that doesn't change the fact that this is still a remaster of a game we already played. Even accounting for new players looking to see what it's about, people have had the ability to do it prior thanks to Steam, and I feel the numbers representing the people who will buy the remaster, fan or no, will be unlikely to match the number of people willing to purchase VC4.

But the people who want to buy VC4 aren't the numbers Sega are going to see with this. I guess it's just pessimistic of me, but I feel this is one litmus test that won't go down as the western fans (including myself) hope it will.

In the meantime, I'm gunna sit back, buy the remaster, and hope that I'm wrong.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Fox12 said:
erttheking said:

I think I was more interested in what the game could be, then what it was. If it got a big budget sequel, with plenty of time to polish it, it could be the next fire emblem. I rather loved the game play, I just thought it was slightly rough around the edges. Sure, the plot was filled with typical anime nonsense, but that never stopped me from playing fire emblem. Hopefully the new games will expand on the ideas in the original.
I enjoyed most of the stuff in Fire Emblem. Most of it. Anything Tsundere related can go die in a fire. Also anything "Lol, isn't stalking and rape hilarious?" related. The point is, it was fairly reigned in in Fire Emblem. With Chronicles, it's so insufferably in your face...also Fire Emblem didn't drag in the fucking holocaust. Also someone pointed out that the holocaust was about Jews, yet the TotallyNotAJew!character that we spend the most time with is heavily based on what the ideal Japanese woman is. Which...irritates me.