Valkyria Chronicles Sales Suddenly Up 400%

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Valkyria Chronicles Sales Suddenly Up 400%

Thanks to an aggressive word-of-mouth marketing campaign, a limited time price drop and the release of downloadable content, sales of Sega's Valkyria Chronicles increased by 400% in April, a full six months after the game's launch.

In an unbelievable turnaround [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/06/08/valkyria-fans-we-love-you/] worthy of the last third of the climactic match in a Rocky flick, Sega's cult-hit strategy-RPG, previously assumed to be a sales dud, has more than quadrupled its sales in recent months. This doesn't make it a blockbuster - it ain't Halo, people - but it's one hell of a comeback kid.

"In the month of April alone, Valkyria Chronicles sales in North America increased by over 400% from March sales, skyrocketing the game into best-seller lists, off of store shelves, and into the homes of tens of thousands of brand new owners," Sega said. The company went on to say that having a game enjoy such success so long after launch is "a feat that few games can ever boast." You can hear the Cristal popping in the background, can't you?

So what's the deal? Did people suddenly have a mass craving for Japanese strategy-RPGs that take place in alternate history WWIIs and feature painterly graphics? Not exactly. Sega credits the sudden success of the game to extensive marketing and community efforts on multiple fronts - contests on various sites, Facebook and Twitter rallying, and more. Not to mention a price drop to $30, which Sega describes as inciting copies to fly "off the shelves like delicious hotcakes at a protest against weight watchers."

"There may be no louder testament to the power of a hardcore fanbase and continued support from developers and publishers than this," the company declared. "We know exactly where the credit lies - and that's with all of you guys in the community."

Feel the love, Valkyria Chronicles fans. There are apparently a few more of you now.

[Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/09/valkyria-chronicles-sales-increased-400-in-april/]]

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I bought this game last night at Best Buy for under $15. Sales might be up, but does that actually mean they're making any more money?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Nice! I wonder how much the (actually quite positive) ZeroPunctuation review helped?

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
The ZeroPunctuation review was spot on at the games faults but didn't bash it very hard at all besides the usual comedy.

I'm extremely impressed by this and giddily excited as this just means a higher likelihood of a sequel...

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
400%? Bloody hell!

I think Sega is still a force to be reckoned with.... Even with the slating they usually get.

NotSoProBenny

Jul 23, 2008
New Troll said:
I bought this game last night at Best Buy for under $15. Sales might be up, but does that actually mean they're making any more money?
Well Sega doesn't because they've already sold the copy to the retailer anyway. That said if these people then go on to buy the DLC, then yes they will.

Another positive of this surge of sales though for Sega is more incentive to make a follow up game :)

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Woot this game definitely deserves it and hopefully this will push sega to make a sequel. This game is in my top 5 of this generation.

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Keane Ng said:
to fly "off the shelves like delicious hotcakes at a protest against weight watchers."
Greatest simile ever.
I know *grabs notebook*

It's a shame they didn't do this with the dreamcast. Oh snap Sega is crying.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't even have a PS3 and I bought a copy of that game when it dropped to $30. Okay, not really, but this is still good news.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
I think it's also worth mentioning the anime Valkyria Chronicles currently airing in Japan. That got me interested in the game.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10416

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm happy for SEGA, Valkyria Chronicles is a great game that does a lot of thing right and I was saddned to see it not doing so well. Thankfully, that no longer appears to be the case.

wellington

Oct 31, 2007
Good? Glad it's selling better but the whole story breaks down to "is selling more". Not how much it's selling then or now, not analysis of why it might be selling more, nothing. We don't even know if the suddenly 4 times larger number equals a good sales month. Good news, bad story.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
So it got the Yahtzee Bump?

(I wonder if there's actually statistical evidence that ZP has an impact on the games that are featured on it. I know I've bought one or two games after discovering them via ZP.)