Valve Announces New Dota 2 Card Game, Artifact

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Valve Announces New Dota 2 Card Game, Artifact

Valve has announced a brand new game - a digital card game that's titled Artifact and based on Dota 2.

Valve has announced a brand-new game, and no, it's not Half-Life 3. During the live broadcast of the second day of The International, the company's Dota 2 tournament that's underway now, broadcaster Sean "Day9" Plott revealed the new title. Predictably, he started off by saying, "It's not Half-Life 3." He then showed off a 35-second trailer that revealed nothing but the name of the game and its logo.

Unfortunately, that's almost all the info that was offered. Plott did talk a bit about playing the game, which sounds like it will be a lane-based 1v1 game. "I played a game where I was getting my ass kicked in two lanes," he said. "I kept building barracks in the third [lane], and I kept flooding the lane with creeps."

After the announcement, there was one other bit of information that popped up. Brad Muir, who left Double Fine in 2015, said on Twitter that he's been working on this project for a while.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/MrMooEar/status/895092648469450752]

It's not all that surprising to see Valve getting into the digital card game business, especially if it can capitalize on the popularity of Dota 2. There's obviously a lot we don't know here, but as the video says the game is coming in 2018, I expect we'll hear more before too long.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
This is great.

This is just what was missing from my life.

A multiplayer game with microtransactions.

That's also a card game.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Another competitor for Hearthstone, interesting. From what I've heard it's going to incorporate the 3 lanes and the five heroes play style from the game.

By the way what's up with all these fantasy games getting card game spin-offs? Elder Scrolls, Gwentt (which to be fair from what I've heard gwentt existed as a mini game before Hearthstone), and now this. I understand why they want to make a card game but why use similar settings to wow. Why not a card game to Mass Effect, or Fallout.

Also does anyone find it funny a new dota game is being made because of Warcraft again?

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
I wonder if Blizz might try to shut this down because Dota was based on their original characters. They reached a settlement with Valve so they could make Dota 2 with new names but I wonder if that extends to spinoffs. Especially if its going to cut into one of their most profitable games at the moment.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Okay this is just getting ridiculous now, I know that card games are great for generating a lot of cash from players by getting them to pay for more cards whilst also ensuing there's no way or very limited avenue of getting the ones they want whilst also being relatively simple games to develop and support but what is with all these recent and arguably late adopters of this type of game? So far we've had Gwent, Legends and Duelist join Hearthstone and Magic and now we've got another two coming from Gearbox and Valve. I mean come the fuck on guys, at least make it take place on motorcycles or something.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
So they are making a card game out of a game that was originally a mod of a game that now has a card game...

Well I guess it's going to be easier to get shit to sell for Steam money at least. Yay.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nile McMorrow said:
Okay this is just getting ridiculous now, I know that card games are great for generating a lot of cash from players by getting them to pay for more cards whilst also ensuing there's no way or very limited avenue of getting the ones they want whilst also being relatively simple games to develop and support but what is with all these recent and arguably late adopters of this type of game? So far we've had Gwent, Legends and Duelist join Hearthstone and Magic and now we've got another two coming from Gearbox and Valve. I mean come the fuck on guys, at least make it take place on motorcycles or something.
Card games are the new cash cow and Valve just wants to make money these days.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
tf2godz said:
Also does anyone find it funny a new dota game is being made because of Warcraft again?
I like to think that it's the universe going in reverse. Warcraft went RTS>MMO>CCG>ARTS (if we include HotS, and Warcraft has the lion's share of the heroes). So if DotA 2 goes ARTS>CCG>MMO>RTS, then, well, there's hope for Valve yet. ^_^

animeprime said:
I wonder if Blizz might try to shut this down because Dota was based on their original characters. They reached a settlement with Valve so they could make Dota 2 with new names but I wonder if that extends to spinoffs. Especially if its going to cut into one of their most profitable games at the moment.
To quote, Valve has "undisputed commercial rights" (to DotA), so I imagine so.

It kind of makes me wonder why this is even tied to DotA though. Hearthstone is able to take advantage of the Warcraft setting and characters, whether it be representing those characters/setting, or inverting/parodying them. Obviously lots of people play DotA, but I've never heard anyone claim that its characters/setting are the reason why for it.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Zulnam said:
This is great.

This is just what was missing from my life.

A multiplayer game with microtransactions.

That's also a card game.
"DOTA 2", "Card Game", "Random Packs." There is literally nothing that interests me about those three concepts. Valve is dead to me now.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Hawki said:
tf2godz said:
I like to think that it's the universe going in reverse. Warcraft went RTS>MMO>CCG>ARTS (if we include HotS, and Warcraft has the lion's share of the heroes). So if DotA 2 goes ARTS>CCG>MMO>RTS, then, well, there's hope for Valve yet. ^_^
If that happens I will laugh my ass off if that happens

animeprime said:

To quote, Valve has "undisputed commercial rights" (to DotA), so I imagine so.

It kind of makes me wonder why this is even tied to DotA though. Hearthstone is able to take advantage of the Warcraft setting and characters, whether it be representing those characters/setting, or inverting/parodying them. Obviously lots of people play DotA, but I've never heard anyone claim that its characters/setting are the reason why for it.
Simple: Brand recognition. It's one of the most popular games in the world just behind LoL so they're hoping that people who play DotA will come play this. There's nothing wrong with that but I'm just sad the valve didn't really make a new IP for it or atleast go all smash bros and use all of their IPs.