Valve ARG Gives Fans Power to Release Portal 2 Early

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve ARG Gives Fans Power to Release Portal 2 Early

Valve has revealed how you can help GLaDOS and Portal 2 see an early release on Steam.

GLaDOS's Potato Sack bundle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109276-GLaDOS-Prepares-Countdown-for-Portal-2-ARGs-Final-Test] will eventually provide enough "computing power" to make it happen.

The Portal-themed levels [http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/] added to the Potato Sack games to secure the early release of Portal 2. *Update* Apparently, the games just need to be played.

After the message plays, the website redirects visitors this [http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/].

While this appears to be part money grab, I think it's one that rewards fans handsomely. Anyone into the Portal mythos should enjoy the content added to the Potato Sack, which in certain cases such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent's is quite significant. Even if the game isn't released early, the Portal 2 ARG has been a fun ride, and an amazingly clever way to market a game.

Source: GLaDOS@home [http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/]

mastermarty

Feb 13, 2010
Very clever way of saying "buy this to be able to buy that early".
Still, it's allot better then most marketing campaigns.

Nico III

Apr 16, 2008
The Steam forums are bursting with rage, it's too funny.
People are angry that they didn't get handed the game early for nothing, seemingly forgetting that it's not supposed to be out until Tuesday.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Biscuit said:
The Steam forums are bursting with rage, it's too funny.
People are angry that they didn't get handed the game early for nothing, seemingly forgetting that it's not supposed to be out until Tuesday.
Pretty much, I'd be all right if there was a genuine reason to be angry, but there's not. They're using a collection of products all of which have been promoted for the last couple of weeks to promote another product.

..What in fuck is wrong with that?

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
But what i want to know is, it says "current" CPU's does this mean we have to play them at the same time or just over a period of time?

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
What I'd like to know is, does that mean it's released in the shops early too? I don't want to miss out...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Does anyone else see the irony that GLaDOS is being powered by Potatoes? Its like grade school science fair all over again.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
CakeDragon said:
What I'd like to know is, does that mean it's released in the shops early too? I don't want to miss out...
No, it's just the Steam version that would get unlocked early. They can't just take tens of thousands of disks and ship them early at this point.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
Jonci said:
CakeDragon said:
No, it's just the Steam version that would get unlocked early. They can't just take tens of thousands of disks and ship them early at this point.
Usually the shops receive the games a few days in advance so they can put them on the shelves in time for release. Just wondered if, say, the shops already have Portal 2, that they'd put them out according to Steam's release... I can live in hope :p

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
I think the original ARG marketing Portal 2 in the first place (with the radios and whatnot added to the first one) was a little better done than this. From the looks of the current potato count and the RAEG on the Steam forums, we're set for an on-schedule release.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve, you magnificent bastards.

This is a win/win, really. Indie developers get support, gamers could get Portal 2 a bit early, Valve gets tremendous publicity, and if you don't want to buy the games, you don't need to put in the effort. If you do, you get creative, quirky indie games for a low price.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
CakeDragon said:
Jonci said:
CakeDragon said:
Usually the shops receive the games a few days in advance so they can put them on the shelves in time for release. Just wondered if, say, the shops already have Portal 2, that they'd put them out according to Steam's release... I can live in hope :p
Then there's the issue of manpower. Those stores have to schedule their employees to handle the volume of customers coming in for big title releases.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
Running Super Meat Boy and AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity simultaneously as we speak. I initially wanted to strangle Gabe, but then I realized this'll give pc gamers a head start over the others, so I guess it works.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Have they cleared up what it is users need to actually do?
Own the game? Just have it installed? Play it? Complete the special Portal-themed challenges?
This whole thing is far too vague.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the "Justine" add on for "Amnesia" was pretty awesome, I went and loaded up Amnesia to check that out (despite mixed opinions of the game itself). Got a little frustrated with it, but I'll probably give it another shot before too long if they don't take it down.

That said, while I think "Portal" is cool, I'm not a huge fan (have a free copy on Steam I've never played since I haven't been in the mood to re-tread that kind of thing). I'll wind up getting "Portal 2" at some point when the price drops doubtlessly, but I can't bring myself to get all that excited.

What's more the promotion might be interesting, but in the end there was a fairly hefty price of admission if you just bought "The Potato Sack" for this. I checked out "Justine" because as a horror fan people raved about "Amnesia" so I bought it, despite being quickly underwhelmed.