Valve Becomes the New March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown Champion

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Valve Becomes the New March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown Champion

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/tournaments/standings/2-2010-March-Mayhem-Developers-Showdown]

In what can be considered one of the greatest match-ups in March Mayhem history, Valve and BioWare collided and The Escapist shook but after the air settled, Valve has come away victorious.

Valve's journey to win this year's March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown title was not easy. In Round 5, Valve was pit against the social media game developer Zynga, who had already taken out NCsoft, Infinity Ward, Rockstar North and Square Enix. This match-up lead to the most votes in any March Mayhem poll, totaling over 48,000 combined votes. Fans from different development communities around the world came in support of Valve to suppress the support of 85 million Zynga Facebook fans.

At the end of the day, Valve brought Zynga down and moved into the Final Showdown, only to meet another community favorite, BioWare. BioWare had just recently knocked out the gaming juggernaut of Blizzard in yet another really close March Mayhem Field of Four match-up. Needless to say, the stage was set for an amazing Final Showdown between two beloved developers.

BioWare and Valve's communities went back and forth for 3 days, each leading for a short period of time before having the lead taken away from them. In the end, BioWare was only defeated by 159 votes, which ended up being .6% of the overall vote total. The competitive respect was obvious as congratulations from both sides of community were heard on our forums.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this year's March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown and for the new communities members, we hope you stick around and enjoy everything The Escapist has to offer. A special thank you to Gunnar Optiks [http://www.astrogaming.com/?cvosrc=escapist.mm10.astrologo] as our prize sponsors. The winners will be contacted over the next week and will be announced shortly after that.

For a final look at the brackets, please the March Mayhem forums [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/tournaments/standings/2-2010-March-Mayhem-Developers-Showdown].

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
WHOO! Im pumped. I hope they have a valve steam sale now like when Gordon was named best person of all time ever. I would like me some L4D at 50.2% off please

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Whoo! I'm not a big fan of Valve. But I'm glad we all conquered Zynga.

And I can see why others are big fans. Especially why PC gamers love Valve.

I still voted Bioware, despite them dumbing down the game mechanics for Mass Effect 2. But they kept gameplay in Dragon Age deep.

Oh, and post "Still Alive" and you'll feel my wrath.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I was rooting for BioWare, but nice job Valve!

I think we can all be thankful that Zynga didn't end up winning the whole thing...

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
brodie21 said:
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.
But valve released an entire games worth of content as DLC for free in their games. Best community support out there.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Aw man...I was wanting Bioware to win. =/

Oh well, at least it could've been worse.

Like Zynga winning. I'd lose hope in all of humanity if that happened.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Finally a deserving winner of MM, though I would've been happy either way.

Third time's a charm Spin!

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
It was a damn close run in at the end, Bioware pulled it back from a couple of thousand down at one point, and there was only about .3% in it.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I think it was inevitable that Valve won, after creating Half Life, L4D, Portal and ALL of our other favorites. However, I did vote for Bioware, myself.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
Bioware may have lost, but at least Zynga didn't win. I wish Bioware had won, but Valve is a great developer, and they deserve it.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
But valve released an entire games worth of content as DLC for free in their games. Best community support out there.
better than the entire game of mass effect 2? for that matter, why are they futzing around with DLC when they could be working on the next half life? what's with that?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
How the hell did you all get above the news post?

I am happy that the developer I voted for won.

EDIT: GAH! I got above the news post? What!?!?

EDIT 2: Okay it's been fixed now.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Well, if Bioware had to lose I'm glad it was to Valve and not Zynga. While I stand by my opinion that Mass Effect 2 & Dragon Age > Left 4 Dead 2 (you know, if you took into account what they did in the last year like you were supposed to), I can think of worse things happening.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Woo! Way to go Valve! I voted for you every step of the way. Now, please, let's not do this again next year...

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
HAHAHA what happened. The OP is post 12

OT: Yay Valve won. I can have a new counter strike now?

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
YES Valve! Have a feeling my personal bracket came down to Bethesda and Valve but, pretty sure I had Bethesda marked as the winner. Not because I thought they would, but because >>I<< wanted them to win. I'm very happy for Valve to take the prize though.