Valve Becomes the New March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown Champion

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Woodsey said:
brodie21 said:
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.
How does the number of games they released last year affect the quality of their games overall?

OT: I didn't vote as I couldn't choose, but given that Valve have some of the best games on the market, Steam (those fucking sales!) and the Source engine - as well as having the balls to back the PC community at every corner - they were worthy winners.
they released two quality games. my point is, did they do all of that in the last year? shouldnt bioware get the recognition it deserves for putting out two great games instead of valve getting the title for releasing one game and some DLC? perhaps this years march madness should have been a "greatest developers of all time" instead of a "greatest developer of the year" in my understanding, bioware out- sold valve in hard goods by a substantial amount. (by hard goods i mean game discs) besides, wasnt this competition about the developing of games rather than backing online communities?

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.
But valve released an entire games worth of content as DLC for free in their games. Best community support out there.
better than the entire game of mass effect 2? for that matter, why are they futzing around with DLC when they could be working on the next half life? what's with that?
Because they want to continue to make their great games even better while they work on all of their other projects. Valve is not a company who needs to overflow the market and rape our wallets with sequel after sequel. HL:Ep3 will get here soon enough, and HL3 sometime after that, but until then ill continue to sink hundreds of hours into TF2 and L4D.

And as far as ME2... other than the dumbed down RPG mechanics, the tedious and fruitless planet scanning, and the constant crashes and clipping bugs it was a great game.
but wasnt the whole point of episodic half lifes being that they would come out more often?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Well, thank fuck it's over. Now we got another 11 months of peace before it hits us again.

I'm glad at least this one had a happy ending.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I'm glad that a true game developer won this event. I also am happy that Valve won because I picked it to win. Round 5 vs. the Zynganites was beyong crazy, but for one shining moment, the gaming community came together and rallied to defeat the evil Zynga. Congratulations to us all for putting an end to the madness so that we could have a proper final matchup between two great developers. I was a bit upset that Kojima didn't make it to the Final Four as I had hoped, but it made a pretty good run.

Again, congratulations to Valve and to Bioware, and may next year's March Mayhem not be so crazy.

NikWearsPrada

Apr 5, 2010
Congrats to Valve for winning. They truely deserve the title.

Also, congrats to Bioware for making it as far as they could. It was a really close matchup.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Catkid906" post="6.187029.5705888 said:
xD The actual news post is 19 posts down! Or is it my Dodgy internet?

Calumon:
I have to kill you now. For posting that song.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
yeah! I really didn't care who won, as they are both great developers and deserved the win, but VALVe did beat Zynga, and that gives them street cred here on teh intarwebs.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
I guess all of Bioware's work was for nothing. I've never seen what others see in Valve and I am a PC gamer if you could believe that. I guess the fanboys get this year.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Catkid906 said:

Calumon:
If you kill Catkid then the Escapist will be without Calumon. Ask yourself Onyx...do you want that on your soul?

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Honestly they were both equal contenders for top dev. I know they don't really care but they should know that they tied for first in my eyes.

Congrats to Valve on winning, it's time to assume the party position!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Hallelujah for Valve..i'm glad they won. Hell it was such a good matchup i wouldn't have bothered me much if BioWare won.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
R4di4ti0n. said:
Steam is DRM. Dont let them fool you.
True, but (as opposed to systems such as Ubisoft's) it goes beyond that. I actually want my games to use Steam because it is such a good way of connecting users.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Fox242 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Catkid906 said:

Calumon:
If you kill Catkid then the Escapist will be without Calumon. Ask yourself Onyx...do you want that on your soul?
No. But I have to kill anyone else who posts that.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Much as I love valve, Bioware deserved it this time round.

Well, at least Blizzard didn't get it.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Fox242 said:
The Escapist was just fine before the Calumon thing arrived, it'll continue to be just fine without it.

Good that the final was between two worthy competitors, and that the right one (in my opinion) won. I don't actually care much about Valve, but I've never played a BioWare game that I enjoyed.

Skizle said:
I guess all of Bioware's work was for nothing. I've never seen what others see in Valve and I am a PC gamer if you could believe that. I guess the fanboys get this year.
Welcome to every year. That's the entire point of the competition.