Valve Becomes the New March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown Champion

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
I voted for Bioware, but since I love both developers, there's no big deal. Both are very consistent and likable, as well as Blizzard. The real win here is the defeat of Zynga. Dodgy schemes and "games" of, at least, questionable quality or purpose makes me dislike them and wish they were never included in the competition in the first place.

Oh well, congratulations to Valve and all runner-ups. In fact, congratulations to all developers. ;)

PS: So, I guess it's time to change avatar again... *sad face*

Camembert

Oct 21, 2009
rougeknife said:
Much as I love valve, Bioware deserved it this time round.

Well, at least Blizzard didn't get it.
The reason BioWare didn't get it was that they didn't deserve it. There are a lot of BioWare forum members who have voted for Valve for no other reason than that BioWare's customer service, marketing and QA have of late been an absolute disaster.

Who knows... if they had been a little more attentive, those votes they could have avoided losing might have swung it.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
ALL HAIL VALVe! GLORIOUS OVERKING OF ALL GAMEDOM! *bows and scrapes*
And many congratulations to Bioware on a very, VERY close second place! I would have been -almost- as proud to call Bioware Overking...but not quite. <3

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
The title went to a great developer but.. ahem aher... cough... Bioware is still #1 in my heart!

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Huzah! Hooray! Even though I picked the right winner wow my bracket was dogey. Next year I do research.

JupiterBase

Feb 4, 2010
WE DEMAND A RECOUNT, We feel that some voters didnt understand who they were voteing for!

Just Kidding.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
MaxChaos said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
Steam is DRM. Dont let them fool you.
True, but (as opposed to systems such as Ubisoft's) it goes beyond that. I actually want my games to use Steam because it is such a good way of connecting users.
I agree 100%. Steam is a very robust community/games manager and I usually refuse to buy a game anywhere else for PC. Some exceptions being awesome sales on D2D and all the old awesome games on GOG.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
R4di4ti0n. said:
I agree 100%. Steam is a very robust community/games manager and I usually refuse to buy a game anywhere else for PC. Some exceptions being awesome sales on D2D and all the old awesome games on GOG.
That's pretty much my online PC game shopping described as well!

Soviet Heavy said:
great, now lets all forget this ever happened
Let's not! A resounding victory for the forces of good!

AphoticCosmos

Dec 3, 2008
I voted for BioWare, as I could only ever do unless HL2:EP3 had been released within the last year, but Valve remains an amazing developer and a deserved winner. I love both to within a hair's breadth of each other. What a great way to finish it :)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I was 160 votes from having my initial choice winning...

Oh well.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
159 votes... Holy freakin' hell!

Clearly they are the community's most cherished devs.

I'll leave this year as, "Tied" in my mind. Hell, we have member groups bigger than the difference. Only 80(or 40) people made the difference.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Certainly a well deserved victory.

I think we learned a lot in the last year. We showed the politeness of our community and are ability to not go insane with hate toward another group, in this case Zynga.

But it seems like the main argument against Valve in this last round is that they hardly made any games this year. well i don't think that mattered and i think that we should look at the developer as a whole and encompass everything from simple game support to their community.

Well done Valve! This was certainly well deserved.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I voted for BioWare, but it was a tough call.

Good going, Valve! You guys deserve it after killing Zynga.

Goliathvv

Nov 8, 2009
I voted for Bioware, but the final result was a fair one. I'm more of a bioware gamer(altough I do love Valve's games), but no one can deny the great things Valve did for PC gaming as whole with Steam.

Steam is the proof PC gaming isn't dead. Actually PC gaming is alive and kicking! :D

So, congratulations to all the developers. Just being in the tournament is a great accomplishment.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Well, I had a blast. We came together to defeat Zynga. I am happy that Valve claimed over all victory. I also like my nifty new badges.

Congrats Valve! You deserve it!

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Valve won and all is good in the world again, everyone can rejoice and go back to their normal daily lives.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
R4di4ti0n. said:
brodie21 said:
bioware should have won. valve only released one game last year and bioware released two great games.
But valve released an entire games worth of content as DLC for free in their games. Best community support out there.
better than the entire game of mass effect 2? for that matter, why are they futzing around with DLC when they could be working on the next half life? what's with that?
Because they want to continue to make their great games even better while they work on all of their other projects. Valve is not a company who needs to overflow the market and rape our wallets with sequel after sequel. HL:Ep3 will get here soon enough, and HL3 sometime after that, but until then ill continue to sink hundreds of hours into TF2 and L4D.

And as far as ME2... other than the dumbed down RPG mechanics, the tedious and fruitless planet scanning, and the constant crashes and clipping bugs it was a great game.
but wasnt the whole point of episodic half lifes being that they would come out more often?
More accurately, it was to make games come out more often. Which we have seen. Since the launch of Ep1 in 2006 we have seen a total of 6 games (Ep1, Ep2, Portal, TF2, L4D, L4D2)in 4 years. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. And counting in this years release (hopefully, See: Valve Time) of Portal 2, that makes 7 total games in a matter of 4.5 years. Not bad considering in the 6 years between HL and HL2 we saw almost nothing official in the HL universe, and only TFC, DoD and CS and their respective Source upgrades. HL:OP, HL:BS, and CS:CZ do not count as they were developed by Gearbox (borderlands).

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hurraaaay!

Not only that but I even got a badge for correctly guessing the winner in my bracket! yay! :D

Now, to return my avatar to its usual glory...