Valve: Delaying Portal 2 Was the Right Thing to Do

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve: Delaying Portal 2 Was the Right Thing to Do

Gabe Newell doesn't mind delays, as long as there's a good reason for them.

Portal 2's [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0J9M0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305207008&sr=8-1] project leader Josh Weier says that not only Valve boss Gabe Newell been OK with the idea of pushing back Portal 2's launch back from February to April - a delay the studio jokingly, although truthfully, referred [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105447-Valve-Heralds-New-Portal-2-Delay-as-Its-Shortest-Ever] to as its shortest ever - he was actually one of its biggest supporters.

Weier said that there wasn't a lot of controversy or consternation surrounding the decision to delay the game. Instead, Newell asked what the team wanted to do with the extra time, and after the team had told him, he gave them the thumbs up. Weier added that Newell said that there was no evidence that a delay would hurt the game in any way, and said that what the team was proposing sounded a lot of fun. Portal 2's writer Erik Wolpaw has similar memories of the meetings, saying that the only negative aspect that anyone really raised was to ask if the team could handle working on the game for another two months.

Weier said that, unlike other studios, Valve didn't have to rush to get games out in order to satisfy and/or appease stockholders. "Our fans are our stockholders, really," Weier said. "What really would have been a controversy would have been to get a game out early and it not being very fun." The delay seems to have paid off, as the game has received nearly universal acclaim amongst critics and has topped numerous sales charts.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37654/Gabe-Newell-biggest-supporter-of-Portal-2-delay]

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I think it was just to distract the "DNF" like delay that Ep 3 has right now (yes, someone can tick that box now, I brought up Episode 3 EDIT: And so did everyone else!). Though to be fair, fully functional sign language? That game's going to break some boundaries once it comes.

As for P2, I didn't think it should have come at all at first, but considering the acclaim, they made the right call. I have yet to play it though.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
Timmehexas said:
HankMan said:
So what's the reason for Episode 3?
To add more nazi's wielding rocket propelled shark launchers riding mutant dinosaurs into the game.
O.O

*20 years later*
someone: "so, when can we expect epe.."
me: "SHUT UP! stop distracting them!"

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
HankMan said:
Duke Nukem Forever is being released and Valve have taken it upon themselves to create the new game that will never be made.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
HankMan said:
I haven't read every bit of news coming from Valve, but have they even mentioned Episode 3 at all in the past many, many, many months? Despite the fact that so many people are asking about it, haven't they not said a single word about it?

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
so was the reason they delayed it to set up the ARG as some time and effort must have gone into setting that up?

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
If this is the article/statement they come up with to rationalize the delay of Portal 2, the article to rationalize the delay of HL: Episode 3 will be epic.

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
TehKnifeh said:
so was the reason they delayed it to set up the ARG as some time and effort must have gone into setting that up?
Well considering Valve basically handed it over to all the indie developers of the potato sack games and told them to go nuts, I doubt that was the reason.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
LordOmnit said:
HankMan said:
I haven't read every bit of news coming from Valve, but have they even mentioned Episode 3 at all in the past many, many, many months? Despite the fact that so many people are asking about it, haven't they not said a single word about it?
Basically, the only evidence we have that there is an Episode 3 in development is one bit of concept art. It's pretty easy to guess that Episode 3 is, in fact, not in development.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
manythings said:
Timmehexas said:
HankMan said:
To add more nazi's wielding rocket propelled shark launchers riding mutant dinosaurs into the game.
No, no. That's Saint's Row 3.
You just have to add "pot smoking" in front of "nazi" And "mutant dinosaurs." That's the next game I'm most looking forward to.

Considering what can happen when time isn't taken to perfect a game (Fallout New Vegas) I don't mind delays. I didn't even realize that P2 was delayed until I saw this article.

And how come they don't give specifics on what was added? I'm kind of curious.
Either way, they did a really good job on it so I'm pleased.

Negotiator

Mar 17, 2011
zHellas said:
What did they add to the game?
This is actually what I was waiting to find out while reading the article. I would like to know which fun aspect to the game caused the delay so I could decide myself whether the longer wait was worth it.

Although, I never minded the longer wait.

Feb 13, 2008
Episode 3 is coming.

Reasoning? The combined longing of the internet. Gabe would be a fool to ignore this, and while he's many other things, he's not a fool.

I do think that it won't be Valve who create it though. And I don't think it will be soon, rather SOON(tm).