Valve Delivers Blizzard-esque Dota 2 Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Valve Delivers Blizzard-esque Dota 2 Trailer

In anticipation of the upcoming Gamescom Dota 2 tournament, Valve Software has launched a cinematic trailer for the game that seems oddly familiar.

The clip came packaged alongside a Valve press release on the aforementioned tourney, and far be it from me to deny Gabe Newell's pals an opportunity to shill their wares.

In anticipation of The International, the inaugural Dota 2 Championships at Gamescom from August 17-21, Valve has released the first Dota 2 trailer today. Experience the world and heroes of Dota 2 through the narrative of its colorful shopkeeper.

The International features the 16 best Dota teams in the world competing in the Dota 2 Championships through a group stage, double elimination playoff format over the course of Cologne's five-day trade show.

The tournament will be broadcast in four languages (Chinese, German, Russian, and English) free of charge. The winning team will receive $1 million. In addition to the cash prizes awarded by Valve, NVidia is providing all the hardware for the event.

The really interesting bit here however, is that trailer below. It's so well-animated that you could mistake it for a Blizzard Entertainment product!

[video=3871]

Yes, I realize that given this game's circuitous heritage -- quick primer: Dota 2 is a sequel to a fan-made modification for Blizzard's WarCraft 3 called Defense of the Ancients and the lengths to which Valve is stretching this game to avoid possible legal hassles are incredibly entertaining (possibly for me alone) -- it couldn't help but invite comparisons to Blizzard's fine games, so I hope that in this case, Valve sees my comments as complimentary.

If anything, this trailer looks like it was spawned during a night of sweet, drunken love between World of WarCraft and Team Fortress 2, and barring the metaphorical ickiness of that coupling, none of you can honestly say you wouldn't pay good money for a piece of the ensuing offspring.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008

DEFEND THE ANCIENTS!

Looks neato, though if my success with games like League of Legends are any indication of my potential success with the new DotA game, I probably would suck at it.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
If anything, this trailer looks like it was spawned during a night of sweet, drunken love between World of WarCraft and Team Fortress 2, and barring the metaphorical ickiness of that coupling, none of you can honestly say you wouldn't pay good money for a piece of the ensuing offspring.
You know me all too well my good sir.

T_Rosh

Mar 20, 2011
From the screenshots I had seen I did fear its direct similarity to HoN but I understand them to be very old concept screenshots leaked for trolling's sake. This video, took me a while to recognise some of the heroes such as Axe, earthshaker and Viper but mate getting pretty pumped, only one day from gamescom. Cant wait to see Tyloo take home the mil.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
sdnfjasnfgjkbsdfjabsdfajs

TAKE ALL OF MONEY! ALL OF IT! I NEED THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Along with releasing the colorful Dota trailer, they also broke most of the multiplayer Source games with their recent update. TF2, CSS, GMod, DoD...

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I was getting serious "meet the heavy" vibes from that dude.

OT: the game looks interesting and if it is FTP like most speculate I might try my hand at it.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
At least it looks better than HoN. Ugh...HoN...I cannot stand that game or it's community.

I'll probably give it a whirl.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I always thought that it would take a game of some quality to make me leave DotA. LoL and HoN were nowhere near close. But this....this might just be it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
darkstone said:
Oh thank God! I'm not the only one after all.

"I am merchant guy... and this is my merchandise."

Slick Samurai

Jul 3, 2009
If it plays as much as it looks like HoN then it will be the inferior MOBA to LoL. LoL actually improved on the MOBA formula instead of cloning it.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
huh i was expecting what a true hero needs is all three or something similar at the end

Jan 29, 2009
Shame, I was hoping for Smash Bros-style cross-game roster, ah well. Looks cool, but my experience in DOTA is one of failure and crushing defeat each time, so I hope they make that a little less aggravating for new players.
Zhukov said:
darkstone said:
Oh thank God! I'm not the only one after all.

"I am merchant guy... and this is my merchandise."
This too.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Was I the only one who tought of this when I saw that big nosed dude?
Anyway, Valve is really getting good at making animated videos and I'm not sure whether I'll like DOTA2, never played dota, lol or hon but if it's free, I'll give it a try.